Television

Anyone eyeing getting an HBO Max subscription?

It's got a premium price tag (14.99/mo or 11.99/mo for first year if you sign up before 27 May launch) but there is a lot of HBO content I wanna see (really want to see Barry, finally watch last season of GoT, Chernobyl, Watchmen, plus all the other great stuff they put out it past). Besides HBO content, they are making some originals only for Max, and they have licenses to a bunch of other stuff:

Studio Ghibli, CrunchyRoll, Sesame Street, Friends, Looney Tunes, Criterion Collection (that has me excited), DC, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Comedy Central, Doctor Who, Rick & Morty, Adventure Time

I think I'm gonna sign up
Yeah, the price is about the same as the Non-Max HBO subscription, I will likely give it a go too. I cancelled HBO for the last few months but was planning to sign back up once Westworld had concluded.

With only HBO/HBO Go/HBO Now you don't get anything outside of HBO content. Max gives you all the other stuff I mentioned. HBO Now is the same price and HBO says it's gonna stay but I don't know who would get Now when Max is available for same price w/ more content. I believe if you're subscribed to it already though you get Max with it or something like that. As well, HBO is gonna produce Max Originals that won't be available on its satellite or other streaming components.
Yeah, that's the thing, I already have HBO bundled with my cable and an associated Go account; I'm not gonna double that sub cost just to get the extra content, so unless they offer some sort of discount/subsidized price point for Max, I'm likely going to miss some stuff, mostly because I'm too lazy to call my cable company, cancel my current HBO/SHO bundle, and then re-sub to each network's service piecemeal.

Yeah, the price is about the same as the Non-Max HBO subscription, I will likely give it a go too. I cancelled HBO for the last few months but was planning to sign back up once Westworld had concluded.
No spoilers, but I hope you have other stuff that you want to watch besides just Westworld.

No spoilers, but I hope you have other stuff that you want to watch besides just Westworld.
LOL, There usually is. Didn’t they do a mini-series of the Philip Roth Book “A Plot Against America”? Staring John Hamm in a 1930’s revisionist history period piece? I will gladly waste a couple afternoons with that.

Yup. I just signed up for Max and you get HBO Now immediately - I saw that in the marquee. Is it supposed to be good? I love Jon Hamm. Indifferent to Roth.
I enjoyed the book, basic premise is Lindbergh uses his fame to defeat Roosevelt and as a Nazi Sympathizer the US never enters the war and how this effected the life of the “Roth” family.

Anybody else watching the limited series "The Eddy" on Netflix? I'm 2 episodes in, and I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. I'm not sure the story is all that captivating, and the episodes feel even longer than the running time. Not exactly a ringing endorsement there, but I do like the format of the storytelling. Each episode seems to focus primarily on one of the characters, but, unlike season 4 of Arrested Development, the storyline is moving forward with each episode. And other characters are featured in each episode, it is just that the narrative focuses a bit more on whichever character the episode is named after. I like the way the show is shot, and the jazz music featured throughout is pretty enjoyable overall. I don't recognize any of the actors. By and large I think the acting is pretty good. I think I'm invested enough to continue on, but I do wish there was a bit more actual action to the episodes I've watched so far.

Anybody else watching the limited series "The Eddy" on Netflix? I'm 2 episodes in, and I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. I'm not sure the story is all that captivating, and the episodes feel even longer than the running time. Not exactly a ringing endorsement there, but I do like the format of the storytelling. Each episode seems to focus primarily on one of the characters, but, unlike season 4 of Arrested Development, the storyline is moving forward with each episode. And other characters are featured in each episode, it is just that the narrative focuses a bit more on whichever character the episode is named after. I like the way the show is shot, and the jazz music featured throughout is pretty enjoyable overall. I don't recognize any of the actors. By and large I think the acting is pretty good. I think I'm invested enough to continue on, but I do wish there was a bit more actual action to the episodes I've watched so far.
I'm glad you posted this, I'm five episodes in and have similar feelings as you. If it helps any, the tone shifts a bit starting with episode 3 (evidently they had 4 directors do 2 episodes each) I'm really digging the music and would grab the soundtrack once released on vinyl but for now it feels like I just want to be done with the 8th episode to see if it's been worth watching.

I'm glad you posted this, I'm five episodes in and have similar feelings as you. If it helps any, the tone shifts a bit starting with episode 3 (evidently they had 4 directors do 2 episodes each) I'm really digging the music and would grab the soundtrack once released on vinyl but for now it feels like I just want to be done with the 8th episode to see if it's been worth watching.

That second episode was a little over an hour long, but I felt like I had watched a regular feature film. I often run across things that are the other way around...where the episode just flies by. I do like a lot of what they are going for, and the general feel of the project. Just feels like it drags pretty hard in places where it doesn't need to.

LOL, There usually is. Didn’t they do a mini-series of the Philip Roth Book “A Plot Against America”? Staring John Hamm in a 1930’s revisionist history period piece? I will gladly waste a couple afternoons with that.
Hamm isn’t in it but I do want to go back and try to watch it again. The plot/concept is really interesting but the first two episodes were VERY slow. I know that’s kind of David Simon’s thing sometimes but it was a bit hard for me to remain engaged when I was watching it. It’s also pretty topical so I think that was turning me off from it a little.

It is interesting to think about though and a lot of the beginning is based in fact but it’s a cool idea to veer off a little and present what COULD have happened.

Wow, that's a pretty cool idea. If I hadn't already watched BB twice through I might do that too.
We started on Breaking Bad after season 4 of Better Call Saul but we might just buy season 5. We are a couple episodes into the second season.

Walter and Jesse got kidnapped and brought to Hector's.

I would have been a lot more confused and probably a bit more scared/surprised by Hector but because I already saw BCS, I knew what was going on a lot more. So I had some detachment from Walter and Jesse because I had a lot more information than they did. I knew Hector's functionality so I was just waiting to see when he would reveal that he was still all there.

We started on Breaking Bad after season 4 of Better Call Saul but we might just buy season 5. We are a couple episodes into the second season.

Walter and Jesse got kidnapped and brought to Hector's.

I would have been a lot more confused and probably a bit more scared/surprised by Hector but because I already saw BCS, I knew what was going on a lot more. So I had some detachment from Walter and Jesse because I had a lot more information than they did. I knew Hector's functionality so I was just waiting to see when he would reveal that he was still all there.
I really need to get caught up on BCS. I loved the first 2 seasons but haven’t seen the rest.

I have funny story about BB too...without spoilers...my buddy got into Breaking Bad pretty late. He started watching when the show was on the last season. Him and his wife went through it super quick though and one day he says “well I finally finished it...” and I said “what’d you think of the ending??” He hemmed and hawed and he told me he thought it was kind of lame and open-ended...he didn’t know why people were so excited about the ending. I questioned him about it a bit and we came to the realization that he hadn’t seen the entire 2nd half of the “last season“. It was broken into those two seasons at the end and since he was renting it on iTunes, the second half was listed as a different season. He thought the entire series ended with Hank on the toilet 😂😂

I really need to get caught up on BCS. I loved the first 2 seasons but haven’t seen the rest.

I have funny story about BB too...without spoilers...my buddy got into Breaking Bad pretty late. He started watching when the show was on the last season. Him and his wife went through it super quick though and one day he says “well I finally finished it...” and I said “what’d you think of the ending??” He hemmed and hawed and he told me he thought it was kind of lame and open-ended...he didn’t know why people were so excited about the ending. I questioned him about it a bit and we came to the realization that he hadn’t seen the entire 2nd half of the “last season“. It was broken into those two seasons at the end and since he was renting it on iTunes, the second half was listed as a different season. He thought the entire series ended with Hank on the toilet 😂😂
I think this is going to be much more significant once I get to the last season. ;)

I think this is going to be much more significant once I get to the last season. ;)
Oh yea--it's not a spoiler at all really. He was just missing an entire season that concluded the show and we probably spent a good 20 minutes talking about the "last season"...took awhile to realize we were talking about different seasons.

I want to rewatch BB but my fiancée is easily scared by kind of dark shows with violence and tension. So I might have to watch on my own. It's such an amazing show though and watching it live was really a treat. Having to wait a week to see what would happen next was pretty harrowing at times! Hope you're enjoying it. I think she might enjoy BCS though so maybe we'll start that next. We need a new show now!

Oh yea--it's not a spoiler at all really. He was just missing an entire season that concluded the show and we probably spent a good 20 minutes talking about the "last season"...took awhile to realize we were talking about different seasons.

I want to rewatch BB but my fiancée is easily scared by kind of dark shows with violence and tension. So I might have to watch on my own. It's such an amazing show though and watching it live was really a treat. Having to wait a week to see what would happen next was pretty harrowing at times! Hope you're enjoying it. I think she might enjoy BCS though so maybe we'll start that next. We need a new show now!
I think the idea of watching BB after finishing BCS is a cool one. But I honestly don't think I can sit through BB again. So much violence. I do think your fiancée would enjoy BCS - it doesn't have the violence and tension that BB does.

Mad Men is leaving Netflix next month, and the world continues to get worse.
Well damn. I started a re-watch semi-recently, but haven't been back to it in a few weeks. Now I gotta barrel through. I mean...I do have the physical copies of every season (except the last one) but I've been enjoying just streaming it cause it's so easy. Oh well.

Already onto season 5 of Parks and Rec. God, this show is top to bottom perfect. I forgot how much I love all these characters.

Also the interactive Kimmy Schmidt movie thing was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed that show, much more than I think other people did. But regardless, I think it hits the fun scale of things more than Bandersnatch did.

I'm a few episodes behind on The Last Dance, but this has been one of my favorite shows this year...

Back