Television

We finished S3 of The Wire last night, and it was as excellent as I remember. I think we're going to watch WACO before getting into S4.

I enjoyed WACO. I think you will too.

This might be blasphemous for me to say but at this point I think Better Call Saul has almost surpassed Breaking Bad (which I LOVED) You're in for a treat with S5, it's one of my favorite seasons of any series ever.

Oh, I whole heartedly agree. I've thought it was better than BB since S1 of BCS.

This might be blasphemous for me to say but at this point I think Better Call Saul has almost surpassed Breaking Bad (which I LOVED) You're in for a treat with S5, it's one of my favorite seasons of any series ever.
Oh, I whole heartedly agree. I've thought it was better than BB since S1 of BCS

It truly is outstanding television. I think VG gets better and better at making television and telling this story as this all progresses. But I can't I say I loved BCS in S1, for me it took a bit to find its groove.

They're pretty different series, so I find it pretty difficult to say that one is better than the other, but they are both certainly in the 10 best tv dramas of the last 10 maybe 15 years.

I'm working my way through season 5, it may be the best one yet.

My husband called up a repair place for them to look at our now-completely-dead-rip-fried-circuit-board dishwasher. He and the guy who was scheduling started talking, because what else do you do in social isolation but talk to total strangers to feel something again. The guy recommended that we watch both, but he told us that we should do it in chronological order. He recommended that we watch Saul first and we would get a mini introduction into the characters in Breaking Bad. So that's what we're doing. I'm curious to see how my experience will be different from yours since you watched them in the other order--or maybe it doesn't really matter because good tv is just good tv.

My husband called up a repair place for them to look at our now-completely-dead-rip-fried-circuit-board dishwasher. He and the guy who was scheduling started talking, because what else do you do in social isolation but talk to total strangers to feel something again. The guy recommended that we watch both, but he told us that we should do it in chronological order. He recommended that we watch Saul first and we would get a mini introduction into the characters in Breaking Bad. So that's what we're doing. I'm curious to see how my experience will be different from yours since you watched them in the other order--or maybe it doesn't really matter because good tv is just good tv.

Wow, that's a pretty cool idea. If I hadn't already watched BB twice through I might do that too.

I love Mindy. I'm sad that her newest offering just didn't hit the mark. I'll have to look up Upload. It sounds right up my alley.
Your mileage may vary on NHIE. It's not awful, I just expected/hoped for something slightly better. I never watched more than a couple of episodes of The Mindy Project either, though, so I can't even say if it's on par with that.

Reports are coming in that we will have a lack luster fall tv season.

Many TV productions have been shut down due to COVID-19, and the content won't be there for new shows in the fall.

The CW has said its popular shows will not be returning for a new season this fall. Instead they are picking up content from streaming networks (Swamp Thing & Tell Me a Story). They will be also picking up a few shows from other countries.

FOX has said much of the same. They will be picking up a show that originally a Spectrum original last year and another show that Aired on National Geographic last year.

The CW has said its popular shows will not be returning for a new season this fall. Instead they are picking up content from streaming networks (Swamp Thing & Tell Me a Story). They will be also picking up a few shows from other countries.
Didn't Swamp Thing get canceled after just one or two episodes had been released? That'll be a ratings bonanza.

Your mileage may vary on NHIE. It's not awful, I just expected/hoped for something slightly better. I never watched more than a couple of episodes of The Mindy Project either, though, so I can't even say if it's on par with that.
Know what, I’m gonna walk this back a little. We watched the other half of the season tonight, and about halfway through it takes a bit of a turn for the better. Not perfect, but better than I thought at first.

Finished His Dark Material. Really looking forward to season 2 which I hear is still on track for later this year.

Will likely start reading the books as well.

Watching Sharp Objects now.

Anyone eyeing getting an HBO Max subscription?

It's got a premium price tag (14.99/mo or 11.99/mo for first year if you sign up before 27 May launch) but there is a lot of HBO content I wanna see (really want to see Barry, finally watch last season of GoT, Chernobyl, Watchmen, plus all the other great stuff they put out it past). Besides HBO content, they are making some originals only for Max, and they have licenses to a bunch of other stuff:

Studio Ghibli, CrunchyRoll, Sesame Street, Friends, Looney Tunes, Criterion Collection (that has me excited), DC, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Comedy Central, Doctor Who, Rick & Morty, Adventure Time

I think I'm gonna sign up
Does that mean the Cartoon Network stuff will be leaving Hulu? I've been rewatching Venture Bros and had planned on going all the way through Adventure Time again soon. Meanwhile I've been wondering what the incentive for a Max sub will be if I already have HBO.

Back