Television

Right? Saw a plush toy on preorder for May. Disney didn’t think people would be wanting this stuff for Xmas?
I think I saw something explaining that the reason for this is they didnt want any spoilers of the lil guy getting out. Star Wars fans are notorious for using toy guides to figure out spoilers ahead of time.

I think I saw something explaining that the reason for this is they didnt want any spoilers of the lil guy getting out. Star Wars fans are notorious for using toy guides to figure out spoilers ahead of time.

Yeah, and it turned out to be a pretty genius move too. I guess some analysts would say that they’re losing out on a lot of merchandise money which is where the real cash is for Star Wars, but many ways they organically allowed the character to drive word of mouth promotion for a show nobody was asking for on a service nobody was asking for either.

Over thanksgiving in my hometown I heard the show mentioned in public a total of 5 times, from either friends or strangers, it’s got incredible buzz for something that’s only had a few episodes. I think this is what lots of the detractors don’t like— that the show itself doesn’t have the intrigue or innovation of some of the better shows on air but gets more hype. Personally I’m fine with the nostalgia heavy and homage heavy nature of the show. It’s really just a big tribute to Star Wars which is acceptable at 40 mins a week. I totally don’t think that’s the direction the film franchise should go in, but I think if you’re a fan it would be hard not to smile at many points in the show.

I think this is what lots of the detractors don’t like— that the show itself doesn’t have the intrigue or innovation of some of the better shows on air but gets more hype.
If I have one criticism of it, it's that some of the characters are a little too recognizably Earth-human, like from our Earth, even some of the non-human ones. Like in the movies most of the characters are relatably human, but there's a suspension of disbelief that they really come from different worlds and alien contexts. But some of the show's characters (the bounty from the opening of the first episode, Cara Dune, a guest spot from *checks notes* Pillboi, to name a few) just don't have that quality. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what it is -- maybe a limitation of the format, maybe the actors themselves, maybe the script -- but there are moments here and there where it feels like "Why are we doing jokes about peeing in space toilets?" It's not the content itself, but the delivery that sometimes feels a little less...I don't know, heightened? than it should.

@Goatfish - I finished S2 of Succession last night. Holy shit.

Waiting for S3 is going to be torture. Someone make sure Brian Cox stays healthy. Acting performances just keep getting better, and it's truly a credit to the writing that I actually like some of these reprehensible characters, seeing how scarred they are from their circumstances.

@Goatfish - I finished S2 of Succession last night. Holy shit.

Wasn't that great?
Right when Kendall was walking to the mic it struck he was going to throw a curveball, and then the hint of the smile out of Logan was perfect.

Waiting for S3 is going to be torture. Someone make sure Brian Cox stays healthy. Acting performances just keep getting better, and it's truly a credit to the writing that I actually like some of these reprehensible characters, seeing how scarred they are from their circumstances.

I agree; the acting and writing are helping me like characters I normally wouldn't, because I have to say - seeing Kendall's very first scene in the show I pretty much hated him. That's what a good show does right? Makes you root for and/or like not-so-great people.

If I have one criticism of it, it's that some of the characters are a little too recognizably Earth-human, like from our Earth, even some of the non-human ones. Like in the movies most of the characters are relatably human, but there's a suspension of disbelief that they really come from different worlds and alien contexts. But some of the show's characters (the bounty from the opening of the first episode, Cara Dune, a guest spot from *checks notes* Pillboi, to name a few) just don't have that quality. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what it is -- maybe a limitation of the format, maybe the actors themselves, maybe the script -- but there are moments here and there where it feels like "Why are we doing jokes about peeing in space toilets?" It's not the content itself, but the delivery that sometimes feels a little less...I don't know, heightened? than it should.

No, I totally agree with that. I especially was struck by this latest episode in which the mechanic and bounty hunter both didn’t feel very “Star Wars” to me. I might tend to blame Favreau as it seemed more like his cartoonish sense of humor than anything else, but it could also be the desire to pack cheaper jokes into a shorter format episode.

In general humor seems to be the odd sticking point of any Star Wars content after ROTJ. It’s obviously part of the formula but the balance never feels quite right, from Jar Jar through to the most recent film Solo. I guess part of the humor and tone came from the unintentional wooden nature of Lucas’ dialogue, part of it came from the cast. Either way still waiting for something to really nail the humor part.

Wasn't that great?
Right when Kendall was walking to the mic it struck he was going to throw a curveball, and then the hint of the smile out of Logan was perfect.

I agree; the acting and writing are helping me like characters I normally wouldn't, because I have to say - seeing Kendall's very first scene in the show I pretty much hated him. That's what a good show does right? Makes you root for and/or like not-so-great people.

Those last 3 episodes were just superb. The next one better than the previous one.

I had just had a convo with a friend about Kendall about how just absolutely beaten down and broken he was all season. And how hard it must have been for the actor to get into character.

That show is so well written and acted. Unreal. That ending we should have all seen coming but didn't because of the writing and acting but then when it happened, I was kind of mad at myself for not seeing it coming.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S03E07

Susie telling off Sophie Lennon when she bombed her play at the end of S03E07 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was very satisfying.

Bad child actors ruined it for me.
Watched a few more episodes, and yes, the acting isn't great and I don't mean to dis a child, but the lead is awful. I'm hanging in there for the story, I kind of want to see where it goes. It's kind of Stranger Things Lite, lol

Watchmen is so f'ing good. The writing on this show is top-notch.
It’s so good I’m almost personally offended when it’s not #1 on people’s best TV of the year lists.

It’s not only fun and good TV, it just has so much to say about race and modern America. The degree of difficulty was off the charts to pull off this show and they’re crushing it.

Back