Television

That said, Lyra is now feeling like Lyra aka one of the best female characters of all time. And the armored bears look phenomenal. It's eyes and muzzle make it feel truly alive. So I'm enjoying myself even if the emotional heft is being hurt by the inability to capture the essence of deamons and their relationship to "us" due to budget.
Iorek is definitely one of the highlights for me so far, but some of the casting and characterization is so far off the books description that it takes away from the enjoyment. The combination of Tony Makarios and Billy Costa has bugged me; the differences in their daemons was meant in the books to highlight how daemons were mirrors of the humans' personalities. Ratter was dull and uncreative because Tony was. Billy Costa had a vibrant life and culture; his daemon was reflective of that with additional forms and changes.

Ma Costa and gyptian portrayal in the show are so different as well. A character who is written as a force of nature comes out as a hand-wringer, and the bright, colorful, and clean boats that the gyptians are described as being so prideful of in the books are dank, rusted, and dingy claptraps.

And Lin-Fucking-Manuel Miranda. Ugh. Am I the only one?

Honestly, he’s really improved the show from my point of view, and I’m not a big fan! It’s been so long since I’ve read the books and I know some folks are heated at the analogs between book and show, but I’m too distant from that to care much. At this point I’m really just watching to see a solid fantasy/scifi show, and the first few episodes didn’t feel like they celebrated the joy and adventure of the story before launching into the darker elements.

In E4 when LMM and his daemon are introduced it was pretty clear to me that he was the only one on the show having that much fun. He seems to have energized those around him, especially Dafne Keene who really felt compelling against him Iorek in E4&E5. His character is the only one so far with genuine chemistry to his daemon, but I’m again baffled by the complete lack of interaction in E5.

Overall with his introduction and a simpler part of the story to tell, as well as landscapes and spaces completely alien to our world I think the show has really improved. There’s still some clunkiness like the VO voiceover introduction of Will that comes at a bizarre point in the story, and the daemon issue but overall these are turning into less of an issue.

Re: Mr. Robot

And I have honestly zero clues whatsoever as to what’s going to happen in these final few episodes.

4 episodes seems like a lot just to finish off the storylines of the unknown personality and Whiterose's project.

This last episode also felt like a gimme win compared to some of the previous episodes.

Looking forward to finishing off this series.

I have not watched the show. But thank you for saying this. No, you are not the only one. I think he's an extremely talented dude and Moana is my favorite Disney music because of him. And I haven't seen Hamilton, although I imagine he's wonderful in that. I just don't think his style translates well to a big screen. He's a stage performer. So for TV or movies, he kinda kills any scene he's in for me.

Finally watched Chernobyl. Fantastic, and horrifying, and I have barely stopped thinking about it.

We started Killing Eve last night, watched two episodes. It's pretty good right out of the gate, grabbed me enough to continue.
I *still* haven't forgiven Chernobyl for the dog episode and have not watched it after I smashed that tv off button so fast as that gun was raised. No. Just no. But yes, it was fantastic and horrifying and just superb and I know there was only 1 more episode left and I should watch it. But THE DOGS!!!!!!!

Killing Eve S2 starts on Hulu this month, so perfect timing - you'll get to hop right into the next season! Such a fun show.

Is anyone else hyped for the upcoming release of Expanse S4? I've been re-binging S3 in anticipation. It remains one the best thing on screen. The story is compelling, the acting is solid, and the art is amazing. I just hope hat Amazon spent the appropriate $ to keep it looking as good as the 1st 3 seasons

I loved S1 so much. S2 didn't hold my attention, I'm not sure why. I only got through half of it. I think I was missing Thomas Jane. And the Amos character was too macho for me at the time in my life I was watching it. I'm going to revisit it and binge all the way through. I am actually excited for it. There is just too much TV!!!! AHHHHHH, I can't keep up!!! Lol

I loved S1 so much. S2 didn't hold my attention, I'm not sure why. I only got through half of it. I think I was missing Thomas Jane. And the Amos character was too macho for me at the time in my life I was watching it. I'm going to revisit it and binge all the way through. I am actually excited for it. There is just too much TV!!!! AHHHHHH, I can't keep up!!! Lol

Oh I think we might've talked about this before. Well TJ comes back in S3 so there's that and S3 starts to get at the relationship between humans and the rest of the universe... I love Amos. His black and white morality and his struggle with compassion for himself and others resonates. He loves but he doesn't know how, and others keep showing him examples that he is struggling to incorporate into his thinking. He's a relatable character for me personally.

The side characters are often the most interesting part of the story.

Oh I think we might've talked about this before. Well TJ comes back in S3 so there's that and S3 starts to get at the relationship between humans and the rest of the universe... I love Amos. His black and white morality and his struggle with compassion for himself and others resonates. He loves but he doesn't know how, and others keep showing him examples that he is struggling to incorporate into his thinking. He's a relatable character for me personally.

Yeah, I think I was just in a very surface level consumption mode at that time. I wasn't putting a lot of thought into Amos or his actions. One of my favorite characters from TV is Brian from Queer as Folk. He was SUCH AN ASSHOLE on the surface. But he really wasn't at all - he struggles with emotion and caring for others. So, I need to give Amos that same attention.

I recently binged all 3 seasons and what I enjoy (beyond the hard sci-fi) is how the story have evolved from one season to the next nothing get stale because they go in such different directions. I am excited to see where it goes now as it seems like almost a stargate/star trek exploration season which, if it continues to be done well, should make for some outstanding TV.

I *still* haven't forgiven Chernobyl for the dog episode and have not watched it after I smashed that tv off button so fast as that gun was raised. No. Just no. But yes, it was fantastic and horrifying and just superb and I know there was only 1 more episode left and I should watch it. But THE DOGS!!!!!!!

Killing Eve S2 starts on Hulu this month, so perfect timing - you'll get to hop right into the next season! Such a fun show.

I understand. I knew that episode was coming from the chatter in here about it...and yet it was still so hard to watch. But the wrap-up is done really well, as is the info presented about everything since then at the very end.

Killing Eve reminds me of Barry for obvious reasons...looking forward to seeing where they take it.

I certainly hope you are not implying that Carly Rae Jepsen is anything but gold!

Hi David!!!!
Hi Tee!!!!

I didn't want to say that she's the "other" Carly Wray. That would be wrong. Both are equally wonderful. I need to tell you one day about the aftermath of a Carly Rae show I went to recently. Friendliest crowd I've been in since Springsteen 2016.

This is television-adjacent but I'm going to a Survivor Know-It-Alls taping in Brea, CA, tonight. It's Rob Cesternino and Stephen Fishbach reviewing tonight's episode of Survivor after watching it along with a crowd full of people. I'm super excited about it since Rob's podcast is one I listen to pretty much every day (I'm kind of obsessed with Survivor) and there's gonna be a bunch of Survivor alumni there. Yay!

This is television-adjacent but I'm going to a Survivor Know-It-Alls taping in Brea, CA, tonight. It's Rob Cesternino and Stephen Fishbach reviewing tonight's episode of Survivor after watching it along with a crowd full of people. I'm super excited about it since Rob's podcast is one I listen to pretty much every day (I'm kind of obsessed with Survivor) and there's gonna be a bunch of Survivor alumni there. Yay!

When I was working in SoCal I once rang up Cochran and Stephen Fishback from Survivor...

Back