Television

I really enjoyed the first season but haven't gotten around to the second. Anyone know if the second is as good as the first?

I didn't think it was as good as the first. It wasn't a major step down, but it kind of lost some of the zany road-film plotting of the first season which was a good portion of the fun IMO. Still has the same humor, visual polish and soundtrack quality, while resolving some of the hanging emotional threads from the last season. Of course opinions will always differ — one of my best friends loved season 1 and thinks this one is even better. Think it depends what you want out of this show, and personally I kind of felt like the end of the last season was a good series finale?

I didn't think it was as good as the first. It wasn't a major step down, but it kind of lost some of the zany road-film plotting of the first season which was a good portion of the fun IMO. Still has the same humor, visual polish and soundtrack quality, while resolving some of the hanging emotional threads from the last season. Of course opinions will always differ — one of my best friends loved season 1 and thinks this one is even better. Think it depends what you want out of this show, and personally I kind of felt like the end of the last season was a good series finale?
Yeah, part of why I didn't jump on the second season immediately is that I was confused that there even was one. I figured it was one and done.

Yeah, part of why I didn't jump on the second season immediately is that I was confused that there even was one. I figured it was one and done.

Sometimes it feels like Netflix originals use the whole S1 as a pilot to see if they can squeeze a longer series out. It's pretty bizarre to me.

I haven't watched the show, but I recently read the novel, and when I looked up the show I saw a spoiler about something major that happens in episode 2, and I was really surprised there were 10 episodes, because that event happens a lot later than 20% into the book, so it seems they really burned through a big chunk of plot so they could elongate some others.
Was there a Tamika character in the book?
In the show: Jack is the cop that El Cuco has made his slave. Tamika was his partner that had a baby. And I don't understand what the point of her is. So, just wondering if she is in the book.

Last edited:
I was right about 4 out of 5! I was honestly surprised Lauren said yes. I still get really creepy vibes from Cameron. Jessica is/was the villian. And she absolutely deserved that title.
I found an interview with Gianina and she said she had no new love interests, just the same one. Which leads me to believe that she and Damian are still together. Which is honestly the healthiest way to go about this. I'm quite shocked that Barnett went through with it. But some very superficial online stalking says they are happy. Yeah, I'm totally going to watch the reunion. I saw a screen grab from it and Carlton was in the group of reunited people. I'm sure there will be some drama if Diamond is also there.

Did you know this was filmed 1 1/2 years ago? I don't know how the married folks kept that a secret for that long! And why did it need to be filmed that long ago? The editing of that can't have taken 18 months. Lol
yeah they kept saying “will you say I do or walk away and never see eacb other again?” But the whole time I was like, well, there’s a third option: keep dating! Also I had kinda forgotten about Carlton and Diamond but yeah that’ll be interesting. The second they got to Mexico, he seemed like a completely gross and weird person. So on the one hand, I understand his whole situation, but on the other hand, he was just kind of an asshole to her.

Haha I had no idea it was filmed that long ago. I was thinking like maybe late last year (like The Circle was filmed just back in the fall). Jeez that is weird. Also found it weird that they all lived in Atlanta for some reason but never explicitly said that. It wasn’t until right before they came home that I realized they were all Atlanta locals.

Jack is the cop
Just a suggestion to spoilerize the rest of this sentence since the show takes its time revealing what exactly is going on there. As for the rest:

Before we found out that El Cuco was literally in the back of Jack's stolen vehicle, I thought we were going to find out that it was hiding out in Tamika's house and that's why she wouldn't let Ralph in. We know that El Cuco has already been in her house to visit the baby at least once; I'm not optimistic that this baby is out of danger quite yet.

Hey, speaking of, just when DOES Jack pick up El Cuco, and...where?

Just a suggestion to spoilerize the rest of this sentence since the show takes its time revealing what exactly is going on there. As for the rest:

Before we found out that El Cuco was literally in the back of Jack's stolen vehicle, I thought we were going to find out that it was hiding out in Tamika's house and that's why she wouldn't let Ralph in. We know that El Cuco has already been in her house to visit the baby at least once; I'm not optimistic that this baby is out of danger quite yet.

Hey, speaking of, just when DOES Jack pick up El Cuco, and...where?

Good call! I fixed it.

And I forgot all about that stuff with Tamika. Interesting.

yeah they kept saying “will you say I do or walk away and never see eacb other again?” But the whole time I was like, well, there’s a third option: keep dating! Also I had kinda forgotten about Carlton and Diamond but yeah that’ll be interesting. The second they got to Mexico, he seemed like a completely gross and weird person. So on the one hand, I understand his whole situation, but on the other hand, he was just kind of an asshole to her.

Haha I had no idea it was filmed that long ago. I was thinking like maybe late last year (like The Circle was filmed just back in the fall). Jeez that is weird. Also found it weird that they all lived in Atlanta for some reason but never explicitly said that. It wasn’t until right before they came home that I realized they were all Atlanta locals.
I heard on Keep It that Carlton was previously an assistant for a Real Housewife of [Somewhere], so some of his more dramatic behavior kinda makes sense; he’s playing the Reality TV Drama Game. Keeping a big secret from Diamond until the last moment is pretty douchey. I don’t think being bi is as big a deal as he treats it, though I get that there’s a stigma there. Thing is, he holds off until after he proposes to bring it up, and only does so after acting like a complete psychopath. The way he was talking to Diamond at dinner was psychotic, and with lines like “let me get you a pogo stick so you can hop out of your feelings” it seemed like he was trying to foment drama. And when he finally spills his beans (Willem Dafoe dot gif), Diamond doesn’t say anything as she’s probably feels ambushed and is just taking it all in, and he throws a freakin tantrum.

Also, did it seem like Rory was a plant? He just appears in episode 2 to give advice and teach breathing techniques, and has serious Ethan Rom from LOST vibes. Wikipedia says he did propose to someone, but the producers hadn’t expected more than 2-5 couples to make it out of the preliminary round and cut Rory and another couple before sending people to Mexico.

Barnett and Amber deserve one another, and I love watching how awful they are. Jessica is NUTS, I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop for Lauren and Cameron, and somehow Giannina and Damian are adorable in a slightly twisted way (Damian’s empty-box metaphor gave me a nosebleed, and the way she made him stand up so she could kneel and propose to him made me think they’re perfectly weird for one another).

I heard on Keep It that Carlton was previously an assistant for a Real Housewife of [Somewhere], so some of his more dramatic behavior kinda makes sense; he’s playing the Reality TV Drama Game. Keeping a big secret from Diamond until the last moment is pretty douchey. I don’t think being bi is as big a deal as he treats it, though I get that there’s a stigma there. Thing is, he holds off until after he proposes to bring it up, and only does so after acting like a complete psychopath. The way he was talking to Diamond at dinner was psychotic, and with lines like “let me get you a pogo stick so you can hop out of your feelings” it seemed like he was trying to foment drama. And when he finally spills his beans (Willem Dafoe dot gif), Diamond doesn’t say anything as she’s probably feels ambushed and is just taking it all in, and he throws a freakin tantrum.

Also, did it seem like Rory was a plant? He just appears in episode 2 to give advice and teach breathing techniques, and has serious Ethan Rom from LOST vibes. Wikipedia says he did propose to someone, but the producers hadn’t expected more than 2-5 couples to make it out of the preliminary round and cut Rory and another couple before sending people to Mexico.

Barnett and Amber deserve one another, and I love watching how awful they are. Jessica is NUTS, I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop for Lauren and Cameron, and somehow Giannina and Damian are adorable in a slightly twisted way (Damian’s empty-box metaphor gave me a nosebleed, and the way she made him stand up so she could kneel and propose to him made me think they’re perfectly weird for one another).
I absolutely agree re: Carlton. He handled it like an idiot. Being bi is no big deal. But not telling someone that you are going to marry that you are bi until after you've proposed is not a good look. And yeah, he want OFF on her for no justified reason. She was trying to be supportive AND absorb the news. Not the news that he is bi, the news that he would hide info from her. It was a matter of trust.

Having any person on the show outside of the 6 they focused on after episode 2 was odd. So yeah, Rory seemed out of place.

I have to make the hugest bowl of popcorn for the reunion!

Was there a Tamika character in the book?
In the show: Jack is the cop that El Cuco has made his slave. Tamika was his partner that had a baby. And I don't understand what the point of her is. So, just wondering if she is in the book.

In the book, Jack is a crappy detective that Ralph has no respect for and who really, really hates Ralph. He doesn't have a partner, none of the department's detectives do, and other than the times the Outsider visits him and scares him into serving him, he's pretty much on his own the whole book until right near the end. There is no Tamika in the book, but there is a detective with a different name who is about to have a baby right at the beginning, and helps a little with the first part of the investigation, but then she has the baby and since Ralph is on leave after the shooting Jack has to get called off his vacation (adding to his hatred for Ralph), because he's the only other detective in the department. Also, Ralph's son is alive and at summer camp during the entire book.

In the book, Jack is a crappy detective that Ralph has no respect for and who really, really hates Ralph. He doesn't have a partner, none of the department's detectives do, and other than the times the Outsider visits him and scares him into serving him, he's pretty much on his own the whole book until right near the end. There is no Tamika in the book, but there is a detective with a different name who is about to have a baby right at the beginning, and helps a little with the first part of the investigation, but then she has the baby and since Ralph is on leave after the shooting Jack has to get called off his vacation (adding to his hatred for Ralph), because he's the only other detective in the department. Also, Ralph's son is alive and at summer camp during the entire book.
The changes re: Ralph's son work way better on a thematic level in the show, IMO.

Oh yeah that Rory guy made me laugh out loud cause he pops up like two maybe three times and each time he’s just giving advice. I don’t know why but it was funny to me to have this random person show up just for those tiny scenes.

also, apparently there were like 8 engagements or so but they told the others they could only focus on a handful, so they picked the 6 and let the others go out and try to make it as a couple without cameras. Kinda odd.

the thing im mostly enjoying about high fidelity hulu (having not seen the movie though i should have when it was available on showtime) is just looking at the background for LPs i own or know about or what headphones rob is wearing or listening to the soundtrack to think "hey i know that track"

its a very music nerd appreciation of the show, but it is good

the thing im mostly enjoying about high fidelity hulu (having not seen the movie though i should have when it was available on showtime) is just looking at the background for LPs i own or know about or what headphones rob is wearing or listening to the soundtrack to think "hey i know that track"

its a very music nerd appreciation of the show, but it is good
I’m only up through episode 3 but I agree with you. Also, the music curation for the show has been excellent thus far. Obscure crate-digger tracks, indie darlings, foreign influence, and big name artist deep cuts. Whomever curated the music has done a fine job representing us music nerds :)

to be honest... i wasn't satisfied with the ending of hulu fidelity.. specifically how some plot points end and things are resolved... i dont think a season 2 will happen and i feel like its very confusing in parts

Werd! Nah, not really but I guess he “consulted” whatever that entails. I would watch a show that consisted of Henry Rollins, Questlove, and Q-Tip sitting about talking to each other about music and records.

I'd rather not have Hank involved.. he is knowledgeable but I've seen a few too many record store interviews where he just comes across as a fucking snob. Tip and ?uestlove, definitely. I love when they interview Tip for that Tribe doc he has two copies of the Stark Reality record in the background (a real grail of sorts). Not sure if you know or how common knowledge it is, but ?uestlove's parents cut an album as part of the group Congress Alley, definitely worth checking out.

to be honest... i wasn't satisfied with the ending of hulu fidelity.. specifically how some plot points end and things are resolved... i dont think a season 2 will happen and i feel like its very confusing in parts

I enjoyed it ... I think it will definitely get picked up. Somebody mentioned that they were saving a few plot points from the book for season 2.

Back