Television

to be honest... i wasn't satisfied with the ending of hulu fidelity.. specifically how some plot points end and things are resolved... i dont think a season 2 will happen and i feel like its very confusing in parts
It would have been nicer to have a sorta more complete ending rather than the abrupt one in the hopes a season two comes. I mean I’m excited for a season two cause I think it has potential to grow into something greater past its source material.

to be honest... i wasn't satisfied with the ending of hulu fidelity.. specifically how some plot points end and things are resolved... i dont think a season 2 will happen and i feel like its very confusing in parts
Is there something specific which makes you think there might not be a season 2? I wish they had rounded it off a bit more as well but I thought that they also did set it up a second season quite nicely? Not a big enough cliff hanger to make it pointless if a second one doesn't get commissioned but enough there to allow a natural story to progress if there is one.

I watched I'm Not OK With This and I really don't understand why it was a serie when it could've easily been a movie. It's entertaining, I guess, but I'll probably forget about it in a couple of days.
I watched it this weekend too. And completely agree. And will take it one step further. The whole season could have been 1 episode because the whole season was just a set up for season 2. I didn't mind the season. But I was livid at the end when I realized with about 15 minutes left that nothing would be wrapped up. It was infuriating.

I might have watched a season 2 had they not manipulated me so much. Now, I'm just mad and want to forget it.

I watched it this weekend too. And completely agree. And will take it one step further. The whole season could have been 1 episode because the whole season was just a set up for season 2. I didn't mind the season. But I was livid at the end when I realized with about 15 minutes left that nothing would be wrapped up. It was infuriating.

I might have watched a season 2 had they not manipulated me so much. Now, I'm just mad and want to forget it.
How do you feel about the recent interviews by The Outsider's showrunner saying that HBO wants a second season, and the ads for the last episode calling it the "season finale?"

With one episode left I'm not sure how you could sustain this story with the same characters. It would pretty much have to be an anthology show, right? And if that's the case, and it morphs into a Castle Rock-style original story that is just "inspired by" King, then I'm not sure what the hook to come back will be.

How do you feel about the recent interviews by The Outsider's showrunner saying that HBO wants a second season, and the ads for the last episode calling it the "season finale?"

With one episode left I'm not sure how you could sustain this story with the same characters. It would pretty much have to be an anthology show, right? And if that's the case, and it morphs into a Castle Rock-style original story that is just "inspired by" King, then I'm not sure what the hook to come back will be.
I'll caveat with this: I haven't watched last night's yet

If a show started out as a stand alone season, I really wish they would be left that way. Big Little Lies is a great recent example. And The Outsider seems to be the same. I've very much enjoyed this season. I went into it expecting it to be a single season based on the book. Nothing more. What made this season so cool is the element of not-knowing what was going on. A second season won't have that. And I just don't think it will be as entertaining.

If a show started out as a stand alone season, I really wish they would be left that way. Big Little Lies is a great recent example. And The Outsider seems to be the same. I've very much enjoyed this season. I went into it expecting it to be a single season based on the book. Nothing more. What made this season so cool is the element of not-knowing what was going on. A second season won't have that. And I just don't think it will be as entertaining.
Agreed; almost mentioned Big Little Lies as another example of this. Handmaid's Tale, too. Also, The Terror, from the adaptation-turned-into-a-horror-anthology angle.

I think the only recent, really successful example of burning through your source material and then doing your own thing is The Leftovers. And as good as that was, it was still almost like it became a completely different show between the first and second seasons.

Agreed; almost mentioned Big Little Lies as another example of this. Handmaid's Tale, too. Also, The Terror, from the adaptation-turned-into-a-horror-anthology angle.

I think the only recent, really successful example of burning through your source material and then doing your own thing is The Leftovers. And as good as that was, it was still almost like it became a completely different show between the first and second seasons.

I liked The Night Of quite a bit, so I guess some single season shows work really well imo. I don't like that any show initially based on one season's worth of source material would get a re-up based solely on popularity or a good cast. (^like Big Little Lies ^)
But, maybe they'd do a True Detective or Fargo type approach? So the star of each season is El Cuco and we'd have different characters and timelines for following seasons. I am not basing that on anything I've heard or read though. And it certainly seems that approach would eliminate a certain amount creepiness.

I liked The Night Of quite a bit, so I guess some single season shows work really well imo. I don't like that any show initially based on one season's worth of source material would get a re-up based solely on popularity or a good cast. (^like Big Little Lies ^)
But, maybe they'd do a True Detective or Fargo type approach? So the star of each season is El Cuco and we'd have different characters and timelines for following seasons. I am not basing that on anything I've heard or read though. And it certainly seems that approach would eliminate a certain amount creepiness.
Yeah, that's the thing, if it's the same bad guy over and over, well, we've pretty thoroughly explored his M.O. in this first season, at least in terms of what makes compelling TV. And if it's just "everyday people encounter a spooky thing" each season, that dilutes some of what is making King's story really work here.

I also have to say that as much as I've enjoyed the character of Holly, I don't really understand at all why it's important within the context of this story that she be a person with special abilities. I get that she's a recurring character in some of King's other works and so he fought to keep her in this adaptation, but...does her past or her superlative cognition come into play at all in this story in a way that any of the other professional investigators in the show wouldn't have been able to match? Is it just she's more open to an inexplicable phenomenon being the answer because she is herself one? It's just that without the benefit of this character's history from other King works, there's an element of "oh, and she also has perfect eidetic memory and a supernatural IQ and the ability to calculate anything based on visual reference, but, welp, that's a story for another time."

Anyone watching Hunters? I guess I'm a bit torn on it. On the one hand it's done well and I'm all in on the taking out Nazis. On the other hand it's emotionally difficult to deal with and the extremely brief moments of humor are not balancing out the difficult bits... for me anyway. I'm enjoying Pacino and anytime Carol Kane and Saul Rubinek are on screen I'm there for it.

Also Re High Fidelity:

After being very annoyed I gave it another try. It's gotten slightly better as the episodes progressed and it's moved a little more away from regurgitating the film. The music curation has been a little better too.

I'm hoping it continues to move in this direction because it could be good and it could be interesting but it just isn't - for me.

I get that she's a recurring character in some of King's other works and so he fought to keep her in this adaptation

Ah, ok...I didn't realize this was the case ^

Is it just she's more open to an inexplicable phenomenon being the answer because she is herself one?

So my guess is that this is why^

I have to admit, I've been watching every week but haven't been completely riveted during the last few episodes like I was the first couple. Ben Mendelsohn is a good enough reason to keep watching though.

So my guess is that this is why^

I have to admit, I've been watching every week but haven't been completely riveted during the last few episodes like I was the first couple. Ben Mendelsohn is a good enough reason to keep watching though.
So, did everyone else feel like the ending of this past episode could have been so much more of a cliff hanger had they not shown a preview of the finale? Because that preview tells us who lives through Jack's sniper shots.

I love Holly. So much. She's such a great character. I didn't realize she was in his other books, but that's probably because I don't read King books - too scary. I guess this also means she'll survive the finale of The Outsider.

Ben just absolutely killed his performance in this past episode. If this show did nothing else for me, it made me appreciate Ben even more.

So, did everyone else feel like the ending of this past episode could have been so much more of a cliff hanger had they not shown a preview of the finale? Because that preview tells us who lives through Jack's sniper shots.

I love Holly. So much. She's such a great character. I didn't realize she was in his other books, but that's probably because I don't read King books - too scary. I guess this also means she'll survive the finale of The Outsider.

Ben just absolutely killed his performance in this past episode. If this show did nothing else for me, it made me appreciate Ben even more.

Exactly, it was tmi. I try not to watch 'next week on' for most shows anyway, but sometimes those peeks sneak in there.
And I love Holly too.

Also, Ben was great in Bloodline but I didn't watch the next season for (insert spoiler) reasons.

I didn't watch it, but apparently she's also a character in the Mr. Mercedes series adaptation. Maybe in some other books too? Not sure, I'm not really a King guy.
Like with lots of King, the tone of the beginning > narrative at the end. The plot structure has weakened in the back half. The show was fantastic at establishing a sense of unease and dread in the first few episodes, but it's been generally sort of bad at motivating its characters since then.

I also have to say that as much as I've enjoyed the character of Holly, I don't really understand at all why it's important within the context of this story that she be a person with special abilities. I get that she's a recurring character in some of King's other works and so he fought to keep her in this adaptation, but...does her past or her superlative cognition come into play at all in this story in a way that any of the other professional investigators in the show wouldn't have been able to match? Is it just she's more open to an inexplicable phenomenon being the answer because she is herself one? It's just that without the benefit of this character's history from other King works, there's an element of "oh, and she also has perfect eidetic memory and a supernatural IQ and the ability to calculate anything based on visual reference, but, welp, that's a story for another time."

I’m only upto episode 7 so I don’t know if it’s mentioned later but in the book at least it does reference her earlier experiences from the previous novels that had a supernatural background. The Mr Mercedes show did a great job of realising this narrative on the screen but, at least so far, there seems to have been no (maybe little that I missed) mention of this in The Outsider.

I’m only upto episode 7 so I don’t know if it’s mentioned later but in the book at least it does reference her earlier experiences from the previous novels that had a supernatural background. The Mr Mercedes show did a great job of realising this narrative on the screen but, at least so far, there seems to have been no (maybe little that I missed) mention of this in The Outsider.
I think there’s one passing mention of someone being like “I ain’t afraid of no ghosts!” And then she’s like “YOU WOULD BE IF YOU’D SEEN WHAT I’VE SEEN” and then they don’t explain what she’s seen.

I posted this over in the spinnin' thread, but thought I'd ask here, too.

I haven't watched this on Netflix...not sure if I would like it. Looks a bit too "CW" for my usual taste in TV. Any one here watch it?

Various ‎– Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina (Original Television Score And Soundtrack, Season One)
Waxwork Records/WaterTower Music ‎– WW073, 2020

3 LPs of the score (Adam Taylor, Handmaid's Tale) and music used in the TV show.

OCov2Q.jpg

X5b5qt.jpg

The trailer looks interesting, but I'm on the fence...

I posted this over in the spinnin' thread, but thought I'd ask here, too.

I haven't watched this on Netflix...not sure if I would like it. Looks a bit too "CW" for my usual taste in TV. Any one here watch it?

Various ‎– Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina (Original Television Score And Soundtrack, Season One)
Waxwork Records/WaterTower Music ‎– WW073, 2020

3 LPs of the score (Adam Taylor, Handmaid's Tale) and music used in the TV show.

OCov2Q.jpg

X5b5qt.jpg

The trailer looks interesting, but I'm on the fence...

Haven’t seen the show but I really enjoyed the recent comic. Very dark. I haven’t watched this but the trailer was much more like the comic than the old TGIF show.

Back