Television

I'm late to the show but I'm really enjoying Snowfall on FX on Hulu. The series about the 1980s crack epidemic in Los Angeles. I'm midway through the second season and hooked. I saw someone on the Atlanta Reddit say it was similar to it and the Wire. There are some similarities to both shows though it's not as good as either. It was one of John Singleton's final projects and definitely has a similar vibe to a lot of his most popular movies.

Just stopping by to echo the sentiments of others re: High Fidelity's season 1 ending.

I do hope there's a second season.

Avenue 5 is a very funny show. It constantly teeters on the edge of being too absurd or too juvenile, but much like Veep, draws most of its humor from how its characters deal with the absurdities life is throwing at them.

Avenue 5 is great. I will go through 15 minutes of thinking "hmmm, I'm not digging this episode's plot/complication as much and the jokes seem to be off" and then there will be a line that kills me and reminds me how excellent the show can be. If they can fully unlock the boyishly subversive powers of Zach Woods and iron out some of the kinks, this could be a Veep level classic for me.

Avenue 5 is great. I will go through 15 minutes of thinking "hmmm, I'm not digging this episode's plot/complication as much and the jokes seem to be off" and then there will be a line that kills me and reminds me how excellent the show can be. If they can fully unlock the boyishly subversive powers of Zach Woods and iron out some of the kinks, this could be a Veep level classic for me.
The scene where Zach tells Hugh Laurie that there's nothing wrong with his ears, it's just what he would focus on if he were a bully, to drive him insane? Hysterical.

Also the scene where they announced the space baby's name. Killed me.

Just stopping by to echo the sentiments of others re: High Fidelity's season 1 ending.

I do hope there's a second season.
Remind me of what the sentiments about the ending are?

I finished last night. And didn't actually know I was done. I loved Zoe as Rob, I loved Simon and Cherise, I loved the updated story, I loved the Parker Posey episode, I loved the music. I hated the ending.

"I can work with that" and then credits? So I sat through the credits waiting for Hulu to autoplay the next episode because surely the show can't end that way. And dammit. It started playing another show I have in my list. I went back to the episode listing for High Fidelity to make sure I wasn't confusing myself. Yep, that was indeed the last episode of the season and yes indeed that is how they ended it. It really made me mad. As much as I loved everything else about the show, that irked me. But yeah, I'd watch another season.

Remind me of what the sentiments about the ending are?

I finished last night. And didn't actually know I was done. I loved Zoe as Rob, I loved Simon and Cherise, I loved the updated story, I loved the Parker Posey episode, I loved the music. I hated the ending.

"I can work with that" and then credits? So I sat through the credits waiting for Hulu to autoplay the next episode because surely the show can't end that way. And dammit. It started playing another show I have in my list. I went back to the episode listing for High Fidelity to make sure I wasn't confusing myself. Yep, that was indeed the last episode of the season and yes indeed that is how they ended it. It really made me mad. As much as I loved everything else about the show, that irked me. But yeah, I'd watch another season.

Mostly these from the last page. Not the biggest fan of how things wrapped up,

to be honest... i wasn't satisfied with the ending of hulu fidelity.. specifically how some plot points end and things are resolved... i dont think a season 2 will happen and i feel like its very confusing in parts
It would have been nicer to have a sorta more complete ending rather than the abrupt one in the hopes a season two comes. I mean I’m excited for a season two cause I think it has potential to grow into something greater past its source material.
Is there something specific which makes you think there might not be a season 2? I wish they had rounded it off a bit more as well but I thought that they also did set it up a second season quite nicely? Not a big enough cliff hanger to make it pointless if a second one doesn't get commissioned but enough there to allow a natural story to progress if there is one.

I loved the High Fidelity ending and thought they had season 2 in mind with the way they ended it. Not really a cliff hanger but definitely not a neatly tied up ending. And Zoe on the steps looked just like her mom. I'm not normally a reboot fan but it was so well done. Now onto season 3 of Fargo. Carrie Coon!

Where are my Love is Blind peeps at? Did you watch the reunion?

Also, anyone watching the incredibly heart breaking and difficult to comprehend that level of evil The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez? I'm 2.5 episodes in. And some of it is extremely fascinating (the LA County Board of Supervisors stuff - I didn't know about all that). But if you think you can't digest it because it is about a child being abused, then go with that gut feeling. It's a tough watch.

Where are my Love is Blind peeps at? Did you watch the reunion?

Also, anyone watching the incredibly heart breaking and difficult to comprehend that level of evil The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez? I'm 2.5 episodes in. And some of it is extremely fascinating (the LA County Board of Supervisors stuff - I didn't know about all that). But if you think you can't digest it because it is about a child being abused, then go with that gut feeling. It's a tough watch.
Watched the reunion last night. Aside from how stupid I felt many of them were, this thing actually brought out a bit of sympathy for some of them. Except Jessica honestly. She still sucks. And Amber going after her was unexpected and hilarious.

also you know I’m watching that Gabriel Fernandez show. Although I’ve only done one so far. It’s so incredibly tough to watch.

Started to watch Gentefied yesterday and OH MY GOD WHY IS IT SO BORING.

I mean, maybe it's not boring and it's just that me, as i'm living in another country and society is kind of different, I can't relate to the story. But I like Stranger Things and I've never seen a monster from a parallel universe.
It's just that the jokes are not funny and the story makes no sense. Now I am in that part of the week where I have nothing I want to watch on tv.

The scene where Zach tells Hugh Laurie that there's nothing wrong with his ears, it's just what he would focus on if he were a bully, to drive him insane? Hysterical.

Also the scene where they announced the space baby's name. Killed me.

I started this show and kind of hated it, but watched more episodes because they were short and now I'm intrigued enough to see how it plays out. I don't really think it's funny though. Zach is probably the funniest person on the show (especially his character's ads for the bar or the dining area) but the bar isn't all that high, and it feels more like the script would be funny no matter who delivered those lines.

At certain points across the episodes there's this dystopian-sounding score with like the off-key beeping sound, that makes it feel like this is meant to be a heavier kind of satire of general human ignorance and recklessness, kind of like what he did in Death of Stalin, but directed more towards corporations than political figures - though, I guess that's a distinction of rapidly diminishing significance. The more it taps that apparently bottomless well, the more it gives me a reason to watch and not feel like it's just a depressing waste of time.

As far as the Outsider, I got brave and decided to watch episode 5 a few days ago. The things that happened in that episode actually surprisingly eased my anxiety and relieved some of the tension I was feeling, so I'm all caught up now. But yeah, I feel like the first half of the season was much more intriguing than the last few episodes have been. I'll watch the finale to see how it ends up but my expectations have gone way down.

Do we have a Gloomhaven thread on here? I just retired my second character and my new character is basically...
El Cuco! The game calls him an
"Orchid Doomstalker" - I just call him "Dirk." He has the ability to
"Doom" other monsters we're fighting by marking them with his character token and has a card called "Sap Life" which gives him healing each time the doomed enemy suffers damage. He doesn't support the other characters in the party or use any of the elements - he just lurks at a distance and dooms things until they die. He has another card called "Frightening Curse" which allows him to transfer the Doom from one monster when it dies to another nearby monster. From the description on the back of his character mat: "Since the Orchids have little need for physical comforts and draw their sustenance from the earth, they serve little purpose in normal society. Many believe that the increased presence of Orchids in Gloomhaven in recent years is evidence of an approaching catastrophe."

Also: I'M NOT A NERD - YOU'RE A NERD!!

Watched the reunion last night. Aside from how stupid I felt many of them were, this thing actually brought out a bit of sympathy for some of them. Except Jessica honestly. She still sucks. And Amber going after her was unexpected and hilarious.

also you know I’m watching that Gabriel Fernandez show. Although I’ve only done one so far. It’s so incredibly tough to watch.

Oh interesting! I had the exact opposite reaction to Amber and Jessica. I was chatting with people from work about it too and they agreed. We all know Jessica was a hot mess on the show. And she had to live with herself for 1.5 years knowing that was going to air. And then all the repercussions of people seeing her nonsense once it did air. And hearing that her dog almost died but they wouldn't let her quit the show added a lot of sympathy and understanding towards her. She was drinking too much to just get through the days. She admits that. I think she had a really tough time these last months. I think she recognized she wasn't her best self. She sought counseling and she seemed contrite and apologetic. Amber came across as a vindictive bully. It's been 1.5 years. All 3 of them admit they haven't had contact since. Amber got the guy. Just effing move on and let it go. It just seemed like Amber was an immature brat, to me. The eye rolls and constant smirks were not a good look.

Yeah, the Gabriel Fernandez show does not get easier. I think I've watched 4 now. It's stunning how completely the system failed him.

Oh interesting! I had the exact opposite reaction to Amber and Jessica. I was chatting with people from work about it too and they agreed. We all know Jessica was a hot mess on the show. And she had to live with herself for 1.5 years knowing that was going to air. And then all the repercussions of people seeing her nonsense once it did air. And hearing that her dog almost died but they wouldn't let her quit the show added a lot of sympathy and understanding towards her. She was drinking too much to just get through the days. She admits that. I think she had a really tough time these last months. I think she recognized she wasn't her best self. She sought counseling and she seemed contrite and apologetic. Amber came across as a vindictive bully. It's been 1.5 years. All 3 of them admit they haven't had contact since. Amber got the guy. Just effing move on and let it go. It just seemed like Amber was an immature brat, to me. The eye rolls and constant smirks were not a good look.

Yeah, the Gabriel Fernandez show does not get easier. I think I've watched 4 now. It's stunning how completely the system failed him.
That’s true. Amber was certainly more childish in the reunion, but Jessica was on the show. And she comes across worse on the show than Amber to me. But, it is fair to say she likely has grown since the experience, especially seeing how people react to you online. The stuff about her dog, which I’m not sure if she mentioned on the reunion or I just saw it somewhere online, did give me sympathy for that aspect of her. It must have been tough to keep filming, with that going on, and knowing you’re not interested in being with the guy.

I really didn’t like the way Carlton reacted right when they went on the vacation on the show. But hearing him really open up on the reunion special made me feel bad for him, and for Diamond. Who knows how he’s like in real life, but I felt for him in those moments during the reunion.

Back