Television

Probably a bit out of left field for this thread as it isn't related to a current show, but, back in December, I started watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show on Hulu. It's kind of brutal because my "free" Hulu plan through Spotify Premium has commercials, but it has been really interesting to go back and watch that show from the beginning. I remember reruns of it being on a lot when I was a little kid, but I didn't really pay attention at that age. I wouldn't have gotten most of it then anyway.

I just started season 3 this week, and they actually had an episode early in that season that pretty directly touched on what we now call "Alternative Facts". Another episode focused on the wage gap. It has been fascinating to watch this show that began in 1970 through the lens of where we are culturally in 2020. I'm not sure if I'm more on the side of praising how prescient the show was, or if I'm landing on the side of damning how little we have seemingly progressed since the show was on 50 or so years ago.

Most of the jokes still work. Not all...but most. I'm really blown away by how the show kind of arrived fully intact. Some shows take a season or so to establish themselves (Seinfeld & Parks and Rec come to mind). These characters were all fully developed from the word go, and I now understand why they are all so beloved. I also think it is super cool how Mary Tyler Moore allowed all of the other characters get the good lines. There's a very good reason that Valerie Harper's Rhoda got her own show. As did Ed Asner's Lou Grant. And Cloris Leachman's Phyllis. And then there's Ted Knight providing the blueprint for Will Ferrell's Ron Burgundy. Just a fantastic cast up and down...and Betty White hasn't even shown up yet!

if I could heart this post forever, I would. MTM is one of my favorite shows of all time and I am shocked that more people haven’t watched it. I started a rewatch a while ago and haven’t finished it. I’ll pick it back up this year!

Hulu used to have the first season of Rhoda but I’m not sure if that’s the case anymore and the last I looked at the dvds, they were out of print and expensive. I enjoyed watching Rhoda a lot. I believe the episodes are on

Please let me know how it continues to go for you.

if I could heart this post forever, I would. MTM is one of my favorite shows of all time and I am shocked that more people haven’t watched it. I started a rewatch a while ago and haven’t finished it. I’ll pick it back up this year!

Hulu used to have the first season of Rhoda but I’m not sure if that’s the case anymore and the last I looked at the dvds, they were out of print and expensive. I enjoyed watching Rhoda a lot. I believe the episodes are on

Please let me know how it continues to go for you.

I don't think Hulu has Rhoda anymore. I looked for it a few weeks back and couldn't find it.

Been going through some tough times in recent months, and watching MTM has been like comfort food...something familiar but that is still welcome.

So there's a pretty trashy new reality show on Netflix called The Circle. Yes, I know it's the American version of the UK series, but I haven't seen the original. Anyway...it's a handful of people living in apartments in the same building. But they never see each other and only communicate online via their profiles. Sounds dumb? Yeah it kinda is. Boring? Surprisingly not. I'm already super into it. It's the right kind of dumb tv that I like.

I'm just on episode 2. I thought this was fiction, not a reality. Why is this shit so addictive!?

So there's a pretty trashy new reality show on Netflix called The Circle. Yes, I know it's the American version of the UK series, but I haven't seen the original. Anyway...it's a handful of people living in apartments in the same building. But they never see each other and only communicate online via their profiles. Sounds dumb? Yeah it kinda is. Boring? Surprisingly not. I'm already super into it. It's the right kind of dumb tv that I like.
I was deciding if I should watch it or not... guess I will tonight O_O

It's basically Big Brother, but instead of living in the same house, they comunicate via chat, so there's a bit of Catfish too. It's shallow but at the same time it's a fierce critique of how we use social media.
I never saw either of those and hardly use social media so this sounds interesting...

I'm just on episode 2. I thought this was fiction, not a reality. Why is this shit so addictive!?
I know it’s crazy and a bit dumb, but i got so into while sick that I binged all four of the first eps in a day and couldn’t wait till the next batch dropped. Got through those fast and am now just waiting for the final four. I’ve come to like a chunk of the people quite a bit. I can’t remember the last time a reality show like this one hooked me so fast.

Nobody else loving the front half of the new Rich & Marty?

Also - can anyone explain what's going on with the Watchmen television score records for me?

I started Crazy Ex Girlfriend a few years ago. I watched S1. I liked it but it gave me anxiety. Lol

I decided I wanted to finish it (trying to clear out that netflix queue). I'm on S3 now. S2 had some amazing musical numbers (the heavy metal one was THE BEST). But it is again giving me anxiety. She is struggling with mental illness. And I just don't like watching her melt down and make choices that are really negative.

Anyone else watch that show and have those experiences?

I am pretty certain he has all 3 volumes of the soundtrack. I figured he could answer any questions you might have about it.

I have Volume 3 and am waiting on Volume 2 to arrive - just don't understand why they're reselling for so much already? Like.. you can still order them from Amazon but people on Discogs are paying like $80 for copies instead of retail?

And also, never seent Volume 1 anywhere other than the original NIN store..

I have Volume 3 and am waiting on Volume 2 to arrive - just don't understand why they're reselling for so much already? Like.. you can still order them from Amazon but people on Discogs are paying like $80 for copies instead of retail?

Yeah, I know he was talking about them in a few places on here and I am fairly certain he has all three. So he might be able to help ya more. Beyond watching the show and enjoying the score. I don’t have much info on the releases. If I recall I think maybe there was some shipping issue or something but not 100.

I started Crazy Ex Girlfriend a few years ago. I watched S1. I liked it but it gave me anxiety. Lol

I decided I wanted to finish it (trying to clear out that netflix queue). I'm on S3 now. S2 had some amazing musical numbers (the heavy metal one was THE BEST). But it is again giving me anxiety. She is struggling with mental illness. And I just don't like watching her melt down and make choices that are really negative.

Anyone else watch that show and have those experiences?

Yeah, I just couldn't with CEG. I'm ok with the idea of making a comedy about a girl with mental problems as long as the show is fully aware of that, and that's not the case with CEG. The musical numbers irritate the shit out of me, they felt like "oh, are we talking about a serious topic? Let's forget about it and sing! Look at us! We're singing! Isn't it funny!".
Kimmo Schmidt did something similar, but they knew they were dealing with characters with problems, and that's why it worked (and I'm not a fan of Kimmy Schmidt)
I finished S02 and I don't remember if I saw anything of S03... And tbh I have zero interest in checking it.

Yeah, I just couldn't with CEG. I'm ok with the idea of making a comedy about a girl with mental problems as long as the show is fully aware of that, and that's not the case with CEG. The musical numbers irritate the shit out of me, they felt like "oh, are we talking about a serious topic? Let's forget about it and sing! Look at us! We're singing! Isn't it funny!".
Kimmo Schmidt did something similar, but they knew they were dealing with characters with problems, and that's why it worked (and I'm not a fan of Kimmy Schmidt)
I finished S02 and I don't remember if I saw anything of S03... And tbh I have zero interest in checking it.
You nailed it. I don't mind the musical numbers because it relieves my anxiety in that moment. But yeah, she's really just not likeable. And it makes me uncomfortable with myself over that opinion because am I not liking her because of her illness (I sure hope not) or because she's just not a likeable character? Lol

She attempts to commit suicide at the end of S2, so thus far, S3 is about that and also possibly committing her. It just isn't fun and the show is supposed to be comedic. Kudos to a show for not shying away from such topics. But something about it is just not sitting right with me.

I really don't get the whole release strategy for these 3 volumes. It seems that Vol 2 and 3 are more available than the first. I pre-ordered them all through Amazon and got them all within days of the release dates.

Vol 1 does seem to be the hardest to find still. I would have to think that they will be coming out with a full release of all 3 volumes that includes the tracks they left off - but I haven't heard anything on this officially.

You nailed it. I don't mind the musical numbers because it relieves my anxiety in that moment. But yeah, she's really just not likeable. And it makes me uncomfortable with myself over that opinion because am I not liking her because of her illness (I sure hope not) or because she's just not a likeable character? Lol

She attempts to commit suicide at the end of S2, so thus far, S3 is about that and also possibly committing her. It just isn't fun and the show is supposed to be comedic. Kudos to a show for not shying away from such topics. But something about it is just not sitting right with me.

CEG flirts with trying to take mental health seriously and I actually thought it did an OK job briefly but, overall, they didn't really commit to it much. In general,

I thought season 1 was fun and season 2 was really good, especially at subverting expectations, but that the rest was a huge drop-off in quality, especially the last season.

CEG flirts with trying to take mental health seriously and I actually thought it did an OK job briefly but, overall, they didn't really commit to it much. In general,

I thought season 1 was fun and season 2 was really good, especially at subverting expectations, but that the rest was a huge drop-off in quality, especially the last season.

Thank you for this. I agree - S2 was great.

I am now going to seriously consider not finishing this. Which will really test the completionist in me.

Back