Television

Time to start this up from the beginning...
View attachment 28727

It seems that people had some issues with the 4K disc in this set. I don't have any way to see if mine is affected yet. But I do plan on going 4K sometime this year.
Oh man, that's huge.

I already own the limited series and gold box and Criterion Fire Walk With Me. But looking at that massive set has me envious.

Oh man, that's huge.

I already own the limited series and gold box and Criterion Fire Walk With Me. But looking at that massive set has me envious.

The Criterion FWWM was included in the Entire Mystery box set, so I didn't get a stand alone copy of that...but I've kept all the other releases I've purchased over the years.

Those first 2 Artisan DVD sets include commentaries that were never ported over to any of the other releases. It's been a long time since I've listened to those, but I can't get rid of them for this reason.

The top left disc is a copy of the pilot from China - as this was the only way to get it back in ~2000. Since the pilot was owned by Warner Bros. but the series was from Paramount/Universal, the Artisan Season 1 set didn't have the pilot.

This is also the aired US version - not the European version.

This disc became obsolete when the Gold Box was released.

20200108_143048 (2).jpg

I also had the VHS set way back in the day...but have no idea where/when I got rid of that.

This is a great blog post about the history of the series on home media up to the release of the Gold Box.

Last edited:
Probably a bit out of left field for this thread as it isn't related to a current show, but, back in December, I started watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show on Hulu. It's kind of brutal because my "free" Hulu plan through Spotify Premium has commercials, but it has been really interesting to go back and watch that show from the beginning. I remember reruns of it being on a lot when I was a little kid, but I didn't really pay attention at that age. I wouldn't have gotten most of it then anyway.

I just started season 3 this week, and they actually had an episode early in that season that pretty directly touched on what we now call "Alternative Facts". Another episode focused on the wage gap. It has been fascinating to watch this show that began in 1970 through the lens of where we are culturally in 2020. I'm not sure if I'm more on the side of praising how prescient the show was, or if I'm landing on the side of damning how little we have seemingly progressed since the show was on 50 or so years ago.

Most of the jokes still work. Not all...but most. I'm really blown away by how the show kind of arrived fully intact. Some shows take a season or so to establish themselves (Seinfeld & Parks and Rec come to mind). These characters were all fully developed from the word go, and I now understand why they are all so beloved. I also think it is super cool how Mary Tyler Moore allowed all of the other characters get the good lines. There's a very good reason that Valerie Harper's Rhoda got her own show. As did Ed Asner's Lou Grant. And Cloris Leachman's Phyllis. And then there's Ted Knight providing the blueprint for Will Ferrell's Ron Burgundy. Just a fantastic cast up and down...and Betty White hasn't even shown up yet!

It's really amazing, considering all it influenced over the years and just how much weird TV has been made since, how incredibly weird Twin Peaks still feels.

Totally. Even if Season 3 didn't push the envelope and just continued the S1 and S1 tone it still would have stood out even against contemporary prestige TV. I was really hoping S3 would usher in an era of really fucking weird TV but it seems to have been an unrepeatable scenario.

Checked out both the Doctor Who Series 12 episodes and Netflix / BBC's Dracula recently. This made for an interesting comparison since Dracula is show runner Steven Moffat's first project since leaving Doctor Who in 2017.

I think Chibnall's Doctor Who is off to a good start. Although I liked last series' approach of using the Buffy formula of master of the week with an overarching big bad, I just found the big bad to be boring and generic. By
bringing back the Master, with such great casting I think they will have tweaked the formula for the better.
I'm not a mega fan of the show so I don't know if these tweaks were why it paused for so long, but whatever the case it's good to have a fun and light show in the weekly diet. My only real complaint about series 11 and 12 is just petty — the approach to photography and color grading is just so soft and flat it kills some of the enjoyment of the show. The look worked for the dour seaside vibe of Broadchurch but it feels too tame for an upbeat sci-fi show.

Dracula is just ridiculous, usually in a good way, sometimes in a bad one. The show is so brazen with its reinvention and twists on the formula, much more than Sherlock or Moffat's run on Who. In this way it's sort of above critique for any deviations from Stoker's novel. If you have 4.5 hours to kill and want a campy sexed-up twist on a classic story with the Moffat writing it's worth a watch.

So Mr Robot is killing it. I fell out with it during my original viewing of series 2 but I've rewatched both series 1&2 again and think they're both amazing. Mid way through series 3 at the moment and it's just getting better every episode. Episode 5 may be some of the best television I've ever seen. Can't wait for the much lauded series 4.

I think she just found it boring. It takes a really special drama to get her hooked, especially one taking place in the modern, real world revolving around corporate life. She's never been interested in that before. Give her a fantasy based drama though and she's all in.
Me and your wife could totally hang out and nerd out on some fantasy based drama.

Not related to any particular show, but the new Hulu and FX partnership is shaping up to be a great move on Disney / Fox's behalf. FX and FXX have much better programming than Hulu does at the moment, but their apps have horrible compression, so I never wanted to pay for a commercial free option for them. Hulu will be a much better home for that content, and using FX's production arm to funnel new exclusives to Hulu is exciting too. I'm particularly pumped for Alex Garlands Devs.

Does anyone know when Lovecraft Country is going to premiere? I read the book when it was first released and have been looking forward to the adaptation since it was announced 3 years ago. In the right hands it should generate just as much discussion as Get Out or Us (as well as being a better depiction of the Green Book than Green Book).

I did end up watching Mr Robot S1 again and am glad I did...It was way too long between seasons, my wife and I were too lost.

Also, I love that Elliot quoted Pulp Fiction, anyone else catch that?

On the train platform with Angela when she asks him if he's okay, he says that he's "pretty fucking far from OK." That's word for word from Marcellus Wallace in the dungeon. Earlier they had shown Elliot choosing Pulp Fiction as the movie to go see with his dad.

I finished iZombie this week. That was a really fun show. If you are fans of Buffy, you'd like this. And the Veronica Mars easter eggs all over the place are amazing.

I found myself binging Kitchen Nightmares last night. I would also look up how the restaurants did after the show and most still closed within a year.

I don't usually go for reality shit, but I find it fascinating what Gordon Ramsey says to these people.

I finished iZombie this week. That was a really fun show. If you are fans of Buffy, you'd like this. And the Veronica Mars easter eggs all over the place are amazing.

I especially liked the first couple seasons. I felt like in the final season you could see that the show runner's heart and attention were now more focused on the Veronica Mars revival.

Last edited:
I found myself binging Kitchen Nightmares last night. I would also look up how the restaurants did after the show and most still closed within a year.

I don't usually go for reality shit, but I find it fascinating what Gordon Ramsey says to these people.

You'd probably like 24 Hours: To Hell And Back (or whatever it's called). The third season just started. It's basically a sped up version of Kitchen Nightmares where he gives himself 24 hours to fix a restaurant, renovate, and reopen.

The comic book is great too, Mike Allred does the art and it is beautiful!
View attachment 28816
I especially liked the first couple seasons. I felt like in the final season you could see that the show runner's heart and attention were now more focused on the Veronica Mars revival.
Yeah, the french guy big bad was a bit disappointing. But overall, I thought the show had a lot of heart. And she did such a great job - she essentially played a different character each episode. Loved the episode with Enrico Colantoni so much!

Back