Television

Started watching The Witcher tonight. Loved the games. Action scenes were good, the rest....eh. I'll give it time to develop.

I binged watched all of Witcher on the 21st.

I loved it. I definitely have to go back and watch it again. I made it to almost the last episode of the season before I relieased not everything was linear.

I still have much left to see but my favorite filmmaking of 2019 as of right now, the end of the year:

1) Uncut Gems
2) Parasite
3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
4) Marriage Story
5) The Last Black Man in San Francisco

1) Succession S2
2) Mr. Robot S4
3) True Detective S3
4) Euphoria S1
5) Chrenobyl (mini-series)

How bout you all?

Anyone catch You Season 2? Binged it in a day and felt the acting and story was top notch. Less soap opera-y than last season, which allowed suspense to build up and gave the pay offs room to breathe. Great performances by the leads.

Anyone catch You Season 2? Binged it in a day and felt the acting and story was top notch. Less soap opera-y than last season, which allowed suspense to build up and gave the pay offs room to breathe. Great performances by the leads.

I binged it in a day as well. Yep, if you liked s1, you'll like s2. It is wild how much you root for the main character. Even though he is evil.

I binged it in a day as well. Yep, if you liked s1, you'll like s2. It is wild how much you root for the main character. Even though he is evil.
Yep. He has a certain set of rules that help him guide his delusional moral compass and it's just enough to keep you rooting for him. I love that they made a
Dexter
reference because there are quite a few parallels that can be drawn to both show's anti-hero.

Yep. He has a certain set of rules that help him guide his delusional moral compass and it's just enough to keep you rooting for him. I love that they made a
Dexter
reference because there are quite a few parallels that can be drawn to both show's anti-hero.

It reminds me of Nurse Jackie also. They have very rigid internal compasses that make sense to them. But to the rest of us, WTF???? Lol

Is there a S3 planned?

I'm binge watching Hannibal, just started season 3.
Hugh Dancy is great in this show (and also very hot), but I'm amazed by Gilian Anderson. I think this is her best performance, even better than her character in The Fall.

One of my absolute favorites of the decade, and of all time honestly. A shame that this of all shows didn't get revived.

If you haven't already, check out the other Fuller shows when you're done. American Gods S1 is probably closest to Hannibal, but I personally love Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me. Wonderfalls is worth a watch for die hards. All cancelled too soon. Maybe one day he will get to end a show on his own terms.

One of my absolute favorites of the decade, and of all time honestly. A shame that this of all shows didn't get revived.

If you haven't already, check out the other Fuller shows when you're done. American Gods S1 is probably closest to Hannibal, but I personally love Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me. Wonderfalls is worth a watch for die hards. All cancelled too soon. Maybe one day he will get to end a show on his own terms.
Didn't he also leave Star Trek: Discovery over creative differences? The guy has built an entire career on premature cancellations/network interference.

Didn't he also leave Star Trek: Discovery over creative differences? The guy has built an entire career on premature cancellations/network interference.

IIRC that's the one he was least involved in, leaving before S1 even launched, so he was essentially a creative advisor like JJ Abrams on LOST. That's the only show he was involved in I haven't seen so I can't speak to the quality. I do wonder if he's just not willing to flex at all, or if he's just had a ton of bad luck. I guess the tally is:

- Dead Like Me; Left during S1 (S2 is still good IMO) show cancelled after S2, later revived with a shit movie he had no involvement in.
- Wonderfalls: cancelled after S1
- Pushing Daisies: Cancelled after S2
- Hannibal: Cancelled after S3
- Star Trek: Left during development.
- American Gods: Left after S1

Quite the resume, but all shows are great lol. I guess he just needs to find a platform with low expectations for ratings and full creative control. I would have said Netflix earlier but they seem to be much more eager to cancel as of late.

I have a week trial going for Brit Box and restarted watching The Thick of It. Does anyone have any good recommendations for anything else on the streaming service, other than classic Who?

Dead Like Me is one of my favorite shows ever. It is totally underrated; I don't know anybody in my country who has seen it.
I liked American Gods, but as I love the book so much I am waiting for the whole show to end and binge watch it. Wonderfalls was ok. Pushing Daisies... I think I started to watch it but I left it. I'm not sure, it was like fifteen years ago.

Dead Like Me is one of my favorite shows ever. It is totally underrated; I don't know anybody in my country who has seen it.
I liked American Gods, but as I love the book so much I am waiting for the whole show to end and binge watch it. Wonderfalls was ok. Pushing Daisies... I think I started to watch it but I left it. I'm not sure, it was like fifteen years ago.

Even here in America Dead Like Me is virtually unknown which sucks because it's also one of my favorite shows.

Out of all of his shows I would say Pushing Daisies is my favorite, even over Hannibal, it's just so tightly made and full of life. That show could have gone on for another 4 seasons easily. Definitely worth seeking out.

Holy shit, is anybody watching Don't Fuck With Cats on Netflix?
I started watching it last night and it really fucked me up. It it almost a little too graphic for my taste (and I have zero problems with movies like Human Centipede or Hotel) but the story is incredible. I don't want to google anything about it to avoid spoilers but the first two episodes left me at the edge of my seat.
Thank you for this. I was considering watching it because some friends have said it's amazing, but I cannot handle this at all. If it was too graphic for you and you liked Human Centipede/Hotel, then I can absolutely not watch this show.

Started watching The Witcher tonight. Loved the games. Action scenes were good, the rest....eh. I'll give it time to develop.
I really like this show. I watched through episode 2 and it really reminds me of some old school fantasy series the way it's written to skip around. I'm not sure if this is a show for everyone, but my little, nerdy heart loves this one.

Loved the Mr Robot finale. I feel like it ended very fittingly, very on point with how I viewed the show: more as a character-driven story. It was emotional in the right places, heady a lot, but it ended so neatly that I feel watching this series all the way through now will hold up as a complete arc of a story. Wasn’t sure where the hell it was going to go, even in the final half of the last episode, but I’m very satisfied with it all. The surprises feel earned and important because I feel they’ve always been the plan since the beginning, so they hold up and make sense and should satisfy everyone who’s loved the show. No idea how it’s being generally received at the moment. I can imagine maybe some people being a little disappointed, but that’s on their expectations.
At the midway point, and into the first part of the last hour, I was about to get reeeeeeaaaalllly mad that this was some sort of LOST rehash where nothing was real. I was so glad when they pulled it out of the ditch and ended it perfectly. This was one of the best, most complete, and most thoughtful show I have ever seen on TV. I LOVE that Sam said this is going to be this long and this is the full story arc. I really hope that more shows follow this formula and come into production with a plan for the full show, not just season by season.
Derry girls is brilliant
YES!!!!! I love it so much. Being a cradle Catholic, it's extra fun when they poke at religion.
I have a week trial going for Brit Box and restarted watching The Thick of It. Does anyone have any good recommendations for anything else on the streaming service, other than classic Who?
Oh geez, I could fall into a hole of British shows. I have been watching Poldark and Victoria on PBS, and those are both great. I also like the show, My Mother and Other Strangers, The Durells in Corfu (one of my favorites), and there was a limited series that I loved because it's about female mathematicians (there are just about zero shows about female mathematicians) The Bletchley Circle. I would love to explore more scifi and fantasy from across the pond, but PBS doesn't play that. Also, if you've never seen Downton Abbey, it's an amazing show that will give you all the feels.

I'm binge watching Hannibal, just started season 3.
Hugh Dancy is great in this show (and also very hot), but I'm amazed by Gilian Anderson. I think this is her best performance, even better than her character in The Fall.

I watched S1 and S2 of this show. I agree, it's a superb show. I am not sure why I haven't finished it yet - maybe because I know it is over and that 3rd season will always be there for me to watch and no need to rush it cause a new one isn't coming? I dunno.

Or it could be: The season that ended with

the guy eating pieces of his own face

was a lot for me and I needed to recover? Lol. Maybe it'll be my next show to finish, after The Bridge.

And whomever told me to watch the Bridge, the swedish/danish version, holy moly. You were right. Completely in my wheelhouse. And what a fantastic show. If you like those dark crime shows, this is a must watch. Think grey and bleak like The Killing. But this is better. No special effects, no stunts, just straight up great acting, dialogue and a compelling storyline. Finished S1, onto S2.

Thank you for this. I was considering watching it because some friends have said it's amazing, but I cannot handle this at all. If it was too graphic for you and you liked Human Centipede/Hotel, then I can absolutely not watch this show.

After I finished watching this show I posted here that I needed a few days to digest it.
I literally couldn't watch anything for three or four days. I felt... guilty for watching anything.
The show is not actually graphic -except for two photos of dead animals, which is not that terrible-. You know, it's about a motherfucker who makes videos killing a cat (and then it scalates so quickly). The show never shows the videos itself, maybe a still or a frame of it but that's it, it's never explicit. What they show is people watching the video. Somehow, that disturbed me a lot. It was actually more uncomfortable than the video itself, and I'm not sure why.
Not sure if it's a spolier itself but...

At the end of the show, when they finally find the killer, one of the girls who helped in the chase says that she can't help feeling she was an accomplice of the crime. She watched the first video, she got into the case, she watched the other videos... and that was what the killer wanted: attention. Maybe if she (and everybody else) ignored what the guy was doing, he wouldn't have killed anybody.
That was too much for me, because it made sense. What if all the things -the bad things that are happening online, happen because we watched them? Does that make me an accomplice too?
I don't know, I just felt guilty and dirty and uncomfortable. For a couple of days I couldn't even read Buzzfeed.

I didn't know this was a thing, might have to give the trial a run too. I love Gavin & Stacey that is on there. Pretty standard show about a couple at the beginning of their relationship, and the two leads are fine, but the greatness comes from the secondary characters. Gavin's parents are one of my favorite TV couples ever and Stacey's uncle Bryn, played by Rob Brydon, is just the best. The main couple's best friends are the shows creators James Corden, as Smithy, and Ruth Jones, as Nessa, and they are both extremely lovable too.

Back