Television

Is that why S2 of Pose hasn't showed up on Netflix yet?

I am gonna binge all the Netflix stuff until the end of the year and then probably follow suit. Their original programming is just too much. There is too much of it so very very little of it is of even good quality, much less great quality.

Most likely.

How are people liking His Dark Materials? And have you read the books?

They are literally my favorite non-Vonnegut literature so I came in excited and nervous.

To this point, I'm enjoying it and very happy with most all of the casting. Ruth Wilson is phenomenal and Keen is mostly excellent. Really digging the production design too. There are some substantial changes to plot pacing but it doesnt bug me because I understand they are different mediums.

My major qualm is that the world feels void of Deamons. Likely for cost related reasons. Can only imagine it's making the world building even more confusing to newbies... especially since they have yet to directly spell out what the fuck a deamon is.

My second qualm is that Pan (Lyra's deamon) serves as Lyra's train of thought in the book and Lyra is always the instigator in the books. But here, it feels like Pan is often the instigator of decision making and, more importantly, Pan isn't being utilized enough to explore Lyra's inner monologue (and thus character).

Anyways, super curious for people's thoughts. Especially those of whom who haven't read the books.

They are literally my favorite non-Vonnegut literature so I came in excited and nervous.

To this point, I'm enjoying it and very happy with most all of the casting. Ruth Wilson is phenomenal and Keen is mostly excellent. Really digging the production design too. There are some substantial changes to plot pacing but it doesnt bug me because I understand they are different mediums.

My major qualm is that the world feels void of Deamons. Likely for cost related reasons. Can only imagine it's making the world building even more confusing to newbies... especially since they have yet to directly spell out what the fuck a deamon is.

My second qualm is that Pan (Lyra's deamon) serves as Lyra's train of thought in the book and Lyra is always the instigator in the books. But here, it feels like Pan is often the instigator of decision making and, more importantly, Pan isn't being utilized enough to explore Lyra's inner monologue (and thus character).

Anyways, super curious for people's thoughts. Especially those of whom who haven't read the books.
I only read part of the Northern Lights when I was at school so I cant remember any of it. I watched the first episode the other day and enjoyed it. It seemed a bit slow but I will forgive that with it being the first episode and building the narrative. As a Brit, I liked the setting and the old abbey/school context.

The text at the beginning kind of highlights the deamon aspect, and the ceremony where the boy/man's daemon chose the final form of the hawk/eagle. Im assuming they are linked to their human somehow? So if one dies so does the other? Maybe that will become clear the more I watch.

Looking forward to the rest of them.

I have nothing to add other than Ruth Wilson has been phenomenal in everything I have seen her in. She played my most favorite "villian" in Luther.

I read the books over 10 years ago and distinctly remember the first half of book one taking a while to get into, but once it clicked they were a great read, a much more adult and darker Harry Potter imo... I really enjoyed the first two episodes and would suggest it will get better and better like the books ...

Now watchmen on the other hand ... good start but episodes 3 and 4 have plodded a bit.. needs a boost

My major qualm is that the world feels void of Deamons

I haven't read the books since I was like 13 (I did read them before the film which I hated) but this really stuck out to me after all those years as something lacking in the series. I'm sure it's all down to CGI costs, much like the dire-wolves in GOT, but it does leave the world feeling a little less rich. Otherwise I like it so far, I think they nailed the intrigue of the book series and I expect the narrative to smooth out once the initial exposition is over.

I read the books over 10 years ago and distinctly remember the first half of book one taking a while to get into, but once it clicked they were a great read, a much more adult and darker Harry Potter imo... I really enjoyed the first two episodes and would suggest it will get better and better like the books ...

Now watchmen on the other hand ... good start but episodes 3 and 4 have plodded a bit.. needs a boost

I actually think my other complaint would be that they were in too big of a rush to get away from the college and it feels like some character development was lost because of it. But again, I am mostly happy and just wish they had a slightly bigger budget. Because I think the lack of lengthy convos between Pan and Lyra is also probably an expense issue.

AFAIK His Dark Materials is a two season order. I’m wondering if the sense of speed people are feeling is because they plan to wrap the plot of the three books up in two seasons.

I read the books a few years ago. I think this is a vast improvement over the movie since tv gives this story time to unfold. Thus far, it's been stellar. I think that most anything will have a pacing issue because there is a lot to explain but you don't want to run over or lose your audience. I am watching it with my husband who hasn't read the books. I explained to him a bit about daemons but he's still got a lot of questions, and I have been telling him that they will get to the big plot point, but I think he feels a bit lost.
I only read part of the Northern Lights when I was at school so I cant remember any of it. I watched the first episode the other day and enjoyed it. It seemed a bit slow but I will forgive that with it being the first episode and building the narrative. As a Brit, I liked the setting and the old abbey/school context.

The text at the beginning kind of highlights the deamon aspect, and the ceremony where the boy/man's daemon chose the final form of the hawk/eagle. Im assuming they are linked to their human somehow? So if one dies so does the other? Maybe that will become clear the more I watch.

Looking forward to the rest of them.
The daemon is the outer expression of the soul in this universe. We wear our souls on the inside, but in this world, your daemon is your soul. It can't go very far from you or you will experience physical pain and if it dies, so do you. Kids have daemons that change form because a kid is sort of like a blank canvas. They can be anything. It isn't until your daemon has "settled" that you become an adult--or start on that path, daemons settling is one of those rites of passage usually happening around puberty or right after.

Back