Television

I agree. S3 wrapped it up. If one was to watch S2, then definitely continue on with S3. But S1 is perfect as a standalone.

I watched Happy Valley! I was hoping there would be more. Do you know if it is done or if there might be more?

Sounds like I need to check out The Bridge.

Last I heard on Happy Valley, S3 is on hold until the kid grows up, which to me sounds like more a "maybe" than a "yes". But UK TV does move at a pace that seems weird to us in the US haha.

Bron/Broen/Bridge is very good. As @Indymisanthrope says, skip the US FX version, you want SVT's Danish/Swedish series. Confusingly both are on Hulu in the US.

You don't.

Edit: Not the American version, anyway (replied without thinking).
Last I heard on Happy Valley, S3 is on hold until the kid grows up, which to me sounds like more a "maybe" than a "yes". But UK TV does move at a pace that seems weird to us in the US haha.

Bron/Broen/Bridge is very good. As @Indymisanthrope says, skip the US FX version, you want SVT's Danish/Swedish series. Confusingly both are on Hulu in the US.

I love those dark, crime-centric BBC/UK shows. They are so good. Luther, Happy Valley, Broadchurch, River, etc.

And thank you both for saving me from a confusing experience. I'll look for the Swedish version. :)

Have either of you seen that show Michael C Hall did? It tried to be a BBC crime series. But failed miserably. It was SO BAD. I like to think that Michael C Hall is playing Dexter after he takes off on his boat and has landed on the shores of our friends across the pond. Complete with horrible accent. Indy's immediate reaction to The Bridge made me think that the US version is akin to how awful Safe was.

Speaking of dark crime shows, there’s a new one that looks real interesting. It’s called Dublin Murders. It just started airing here in the states last night on Starz of all places. But the entire season has already aired in the UK on BBC One. So my point is, if you don’t have/want Starz...there are ways to watch the whole thing right now. I haven’t started yet but I’m really interested to.

Have I mentioned that I love lists?

My Top 10 Finished Dramas
(as in: The show's run is done and I finished it)
((not sure these are all in order, but top three is))

Deadwood
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Wire
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Game of Thrones
Band of Brothers
Friday Night Lights
The Leftovers

HM - Freaks and Geeks

Shows I love or really like that are still going or I haven't finished

Better Call Saul - caught up, show still going
Fargo - caught up, show still going
Battlestar Galactica - haven't finished and I'm having trouble getting back to this
Justified - haven't finished, I only go back to this when I can't think of anything else to watch
Ozark - caught up, I'm assuming there is a S3 coming.
West Wings - only watched half a season, can't remember why I stopped
Barry - LOVE IT

Shows that appear on lots of lists but I've never watched

Lost
Twin Peaks
Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
Sons of Anarchy
Dexter

I love those dark, crime-centric BBC/UK shows. They are so good. Luther, Happy Valley, Broadchurch, River, etc.

And thank you both for saving me from a confusing experience. I'll look for the Swedish version. :)

Have either of you seen that show Michael C Hall did? It tried to be a BBC crime series. But failed miserably. It was SO BAD. I like to think that Michael C Hall is playing Dexter after he takes off on his boat and has landed on the shores of our friends across the pond. Complete with horrible accent. Indy's immediate reaction to The Bridge made me think that the US version is akin to how awful Safe was.

I have not seen that, but I didn't hear much good stuff. In general the US shows that try to channel or adapt the UK crime shows fail. There was actually a US adaptation of Broadchurch (Gracepoint) that stared Tennant that was bad and got pulled after one season. There's just a massive mismatch of sensibility between UK and US crime shows. S1 of True Detective is probably the closest US TV has gotten to the vibe of UK crime / Nordic noir through an American lens, but it's still way more sensationalist.

I think there's similar scenario with the Nordic Noirs themselves too which are even cooler and more distant than the UK ones they inspired. I love the UK Wallander it misses the Swedish sensibility and mood. With all the times Kenneth Branagh takes tea instead of Swedish fika they might as well have set the show in rural England :LOL:. I mentioned the US version of The Killing and do think the first two American seasons pull it off decently. Beyond that, very little positive adaptations or "inspired by" shows to note.

Touching Evil starring Jeffrey Donovan and Vera Farmiga was bloody brilliant, way better than the UK version. Typically it got shitcanned after just one season. Proper shame. I could have watched that for years.

Such a good series. I was a bit mixed on S2 and S3, but still good, and S3 provided a satisfying close. Without giving anything away I do appreciate how the seasons link together, while still shifting focus to other mysteries / cases. Similar to other UK and Euro series like Happy Valley or Broen/Bron/The Bridge. I can't think of too many American dramas that pull that off (The Killing tried and largely failed).

How the feck did I miss the bridge out , the Scandinavian version is superb, all 4 seasons a much watch , ignore the crap uk version called the tunnel

3rd episode of Watchmen, which I've had to try watching on 3 different sittings and still haven't finished, was a huuuuge drop-off in quality for me. It was the 1st time they veered into very annoying "clever TV writer" land and, if the rest of the series is more like this than the first two episodes, I might do a full 180 and despise this show. Lol.

Have I mentioned that I love lists?

My Top 10 Finished Dramas
(as in: The show's run is done and I finished it)
((not sure these are all in order, but top three is))

Deadwood
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Wire
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Game of Thrones
Band of Brothers
Friday Night Lights
The Leftovers

HM - Freaks and Geeks

Shows I love or really like that are still going or I haven't finished

Better Call Saul - caught up, show still going
Fargo - caught up, show still going
Battlestar Galactica - haven't finished and I'm having trouble getting back to this
Justified - haven't finished, I only go back to this when I can't think of anything else to watch
Ozark - caught up, I'm assuming there is a S3 coming.
West Wings - only watched half a season, can't remember why I stopped
Barry - LOVE IT

Shows that appear on lots of lists but I've never watched

Lost
Twin Peaks
Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
Sons of Anarchy
Dexter

Great list. I need to rewatch Six Feet Under. I loved the first two seasons immensely but quit somewhere at the end of s3 or beginning of s4 because it was getting too soap operay. But then I recommend it to my brother and he adored it and called s5 the best season. And since it's a show more up my alley than his taste wise... I need to give it a second spin.

Better Call Saul and the Leftovers are both very high on my must watch list. Gotta watch s3 of Legion, Mr. ROBOT and the Duece first though so I can cement their places on these lists. ;)

And to answer @Teeeee , apparently s3 of Broadchurch as well. Said it a couple pages back but while I adored s1, I only made it through S2 because of Olivia Coleman's performance.

Top 5 Shows That Should Have Been Allowed to Finish (in no order):

1. Rome
2. The OA (*maybe* -- I'm still holding out hope that this is some too-clever meta plot device)
3. Terriers
4. Lodge 49
5. Carnivale

Honorable Mention: Firefly (duh)

ETA: Omitting Deadwood because it did get its movie. So did Firefly, I know. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.

Anyone know where I can stream The Watchmen for free? The servers that all my streaming apps used have been taken down and I've lost all my free content.

1. Rome
2. The OA (*maybe* -- I'm still holding out hope that this is some too-clever meta plot device)
3. Terriers
4. Lodge 49
5. Carnivale

ETA: Omitting Deadwood because it did get its movie. So did Firefly, I know. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.

Santa Clarita Diet

I just came to say, I don't care what the haters say. I liked Season 2 of "End of The Fucking World" (not as much as Season 1, but it happens), and am hopeful for a 3rd season!

1. Rome
3. Terriers
4. Lodge 49
5. Carnivale

+ every Bryan Fuller show.

1. Rome
3. Terriers
4. Lodge 49
5. Carnivale

Um. This list is missing Freak and Geeks and, thus, not valid.

Also, s5 of the Wire is weaker than the others because HBO only allowed 10 episodes. Considering it's importance in television history and the utter brilliance of the 1st four seasons... I'd include it with an asterisk.

Not sure where Arrested Development falls within this realm considering the lower quality of the later seasons.

Also- the OA got canceled? Fuuuuck

Back