Television

Top 5 Shows That Should Have Been Allowed to Finish (in no order):

1. Rome
2. The OA (*maybe* -- I'm still holding out hope that this is some too-clever meta plot device)
3. Terriers
4. Lodge 49
5. Carnivale

Honorable Mention: Firefly (duh)

ETA: Omitting Deadwood because it did get its movie. So did Firefly, I know. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.
Patriot (I guess Season 3 is still a remote possibility, but the more that passes, the less likely it seems)
Firefly yes! I guess the movie counts. Sorta?

And Patriot S1 was excellent. S2 was a drop off, for me. I haven't heard a thing about S3.

Um. This list is missing Freak and Geeks and, thus, not valid.
Yeah, but did Freaks & Geeks have an overall story that it didn't get to finish telling, or did it just end prematurely?
Also, s5 of the Wire is weaker than the others because HBO only allowed 10 episodes. Considering it's importance in television history and the utter brilliance of the 1st four seasons... I'd include it with an asterisk.
Agree, but I didn't include series that at least were given the opportunity to do some wrap-up in advance.
Not sure where Arrested Development falls within this realm considering the lower quality of the later seasons.
I don't count it. It got its rescue.
Also- the OA got canceled? Fuuuuck
Supposedly. But there are some very compelling arguments on reddit that
the show that was being filmed in the last episode of season 2 was canceled, because that Brit is now in a coma, and the 'real' Brit and Jason Isaacs IRL are now posting on social media "in character" and the show is not actually canceled. Given the "bonkers" story they said they had planned, it simultaneously feels too far-fetched and also exactly like the kind of thing The OA would do.
Where were you when @ranbalam and I were bonding over this show? We felt like we were the only ones that watched it.
Probably crying into a pillow or something? I was very very deeply invested in that show. It's perfect, but very difficult to sell other people on.
And Patriot S1 was excellent. S2 was a drop off, for me. I haven't heard a thing about S3.
I watched it all as one unbroken story, so I didn't feel the decline as much as other people had prepped me for. The showrunner has said in interviews that they've never been officially canceled, but they've also never gotten the green light for a third season. The story of the first two seasons is wrapped up about as neatly as it'll ever get, I guess, so it's not exactly a cliffhanger, but I would like to hang out with those characters more. I've been meaning to check out the showrunner's new show, Perpetual Grace, if it ever turns up on a streaming service that I don't have to pay even more for.

Mostly I'm just pretty gutted about Lodge 49 not getting a third season. The last two episodes of Season 2 were full of very compassionate, optimistic storytelling. It's a strange show, but I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, but did Freaks & Geeks have an overall story that it didn't get to finish telling, or did it just end prematurely?

Definitely was not done with it's story. End of story would be all the kids being done with HS... Also, you should definitely watch it as it sounds like you haven't. Arguably the most honest portrayal of adolescence ever put on the screen and nearly every cast member has gone on to do bigger things.

Hope the fan theories are right about the OA as S2 was among my favorite things I've watched all year.

Definitely was not done with it's story. End of story would be all the kids being done with HS... Also, you should definitely watch it as it sounds like you haven't. Arguably the most honest portrayal of adolescence ever put on the screen and nearly every cast member has gone on to do bigger things.
No, I've seen it, it's just been...oh my god. Twenty years?!

just finished up watching through Succession for the first time and man is that a good show! I'm not quite on the "Omg this is the best show EVER" train yet but it's definitely been interesting to watch the show get better and better as it progresses. The "every character is a terrible person" shtick was a bit exhausting at first, but I do think it's intriguing how, despite most characters still being terrible, you do start to grow fond of (some of) them as the show goes on. It's definitely a slow burn, and I could see it taking upwards of three or four more seasons for everything to play out and unfold, I just hope the hype can hold on that long.

also Safe Room is BY FAR the best episode in the entire series and is everything I hoped the show would eventually be prior to that point

Rectify deserves a place in a best-of list.
Where were you when @ranbalam and I were bonding over this show? We felt like we were the only ones that watched it.

That ending was superb. Slow burn tv show making.

I loved Rectify (and of course the @Teeeee bonding that stemmed from it) and I now realize I should have at least put it on my HMs with F&G. But, that's one I don't think I'd watch all the way through again; just emotionally exhausting. Pretty sure I've done a second lap of everything on my first 10 except FNL.

Great list. I need to rewatch Six Feet Under. I loved the first two seasons immensely but quit somewhere at the end of s3 or beginning of s4 because it was getting too soap operay.

SFU did sag at times, but overall I think the cast made it mostly great throughout. And I still say it's the best series finale I've ever seen.

But, that's one I don't think I'd watch all the way through again; just emotionally exhausting.
True; it’s interesting that the shows that are the most emotionally taxing are also often the ones that are the most life-affirming. I’m also thinking of The Leftovers here, or even Friday Night Lights (or Parenthood, which will apparently live perpetually in FNL’s shadow); you’d think the shows with more of a nihilist bent would be the ones that really take it out of you, but in the end it’s the ones that put their characters through the wringer and then tell you that there’s still a chance for happiness on the other side of it, that really devastate you.

just finished up watching through Succession for the first time and man is that a good show! I'm not quite on the "Omg this is the best show EVER" train yet but it's definitely been interesting to watch the show get better and better as it progresses. The "every character is a terrible person" shtick was a bit exhausting at first, but I do think it's intriguing how, despite most characters still being terrible, you do start to grow fond of (some of) them as the show goes on. It's definitely a slow burn, and I could see it taking upwards of three or four more seasons for everything to play out and unfold, I just hope the hype can hold on that long.

also Safe Room is BY FAR the best episode in the entire series and is everything I hoped the show would eventually be prior to that point
Greg breaking up with Tom was such a good scene.

I just came to say, I don't care what the haters say. I liked Season 2 of "End of The Fucking World" (not as much as Season 1, but it happens), and am hopeful for a 3rd season!
I liked it a lot too. But the end feels like the real end to me and I’m okay with that. Overall it was a tad slower than s1, but it’s a great arc of a story.

Top 5 Shows That Should Have Been Allowed to Finish (in no order):

1. Rome
2. The OA (*maybe* -- I'm still holding out hope that this is some too-clever meta plot device)
3. Terriers
4. Lodge 49
5. Carnivale

Honorable Mention: Firefly (duh)

ETA: Omitting Deadwood because it did get its movie. So did Firefly, I know. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.
I have an obscure one which hopfully one of you watched......Alcatraz

I actually rewatched it the other week and its a great premise but was canned after 1 series and on a cliffhanger. The basic premise is that in the 60's the prisoners and guards dissapeard and they covered it up to close down the prison. 40 years later and crimes begin to occur around the San Fran area which match up with the missing criminals MO's.

Its a J. J. Abrams production and stars Jorge Garcia (Lost) and Sam Neill (Jurassic Park). As with all Abrams work, theres a sci-fi narrative that gets woven in.

Speaking of dark crime shows, there’s a new one that looks real interesting. It’s called Dublin Murders. It just started airing here in the states last night on Starz of all places. But the entire season has already aired in the UK on BBC One. So my point is, if you don’t have/want Starz...there are ways to watch the whole thing right now. I haven’t started yet but I’m really interested to.

I actually wrote about this in the books thread. This show is based on Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series, which is wonderful. So good, in fact, that I'm staying as far away from the show as possible. I'm not typically the guy who makes comparisons between movies/shows and their source material (different mediums and all that), but French's books are so good I'd rather not see them tampered with. They're complex, sophisticated mysteries (her debut, In the Woods, is one of my all-time faves), and it scares me to no end that the series is adapting the first two books in just 8 episodes.

I actually wrote about this in the books thread. This show is based on Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series, which is wonderful. So good, in fact, that I'm staying as far away from the show as possible. I'm not typically the guy who makes comparisons between movies/shows and their source material (different mediums and all that), but French's books are so good I'd rather not see them tampered with. They're complex, sophisticated mysteries (her debut, In the Woods, is one of my all-time faves), and it scares me to no end that the series is adapting the first two books in just 8 episodes.
I did wonder whether or not I should read the book(s) first. But now I feel like I should do the opposite. It’s not likely the show is better than the books if they’re truly that great, so it can only go up if I move from show to books.

Being the totally on time person that I am, my wife and I started watching Season 3 of Stranger Things last night. We got through Episode 5. I feel like it does what a lot of season 3's do, like breaking up the characters to explore them more, introduce some cool new side plots, etc. and it does them well. The coming of age story with the kids has been great, and I'm glad that they haven't sugar coated things too much. Kids make out, kids cuss and get into fights and break rules and have problems. At the same time, figuring all that out is a huge part of growing up, and it's not always this big sugar coated rainbow that coming of age stories often fall into. Will desperately trying to hold onto what innocence he has left is especially compelling in my eyes, as is Steve trying to figure out where he fits in in life. Also, Max and Billy weren't my favorite in season 2, but have become much better characters in this season.

At the same time, they seemed to have leaned much harder into the horror/monster movie tropes this time. The gore and special effects have been great, and having people as monsters is always a terrifying thought. It feels like they took Season 2 and beefed it up with steroids.

Not to mention all of their offshore cash/holdings they don't pay taxes on.

And the taxes the European court of justice says that they owe us (only a trifling €13billionish) but that our government is a appealing against because they don’t want it...

Time to cancel Netflix and get Hulu at the start of the new year. Been looking for a way to show financial support to FX as a chord cutter for a while... and yes, I'm also salty about Netflix axing Bojack and the OA.

Time to cancel Netflix and get Hulu at the start of the new year. Been looking for a way to show financial support to FX as a chord cutter for a while... and yes, I'm also salty about Netflix axing Bojack and the OA.

Is that why S2 of Pose hasn't showed up on Netflix yet?

I am gonna binge all the Netflix stuff until the end of the year and then probably follow suit. Their original programming is just too much. There is too much of it so very very little of it is of even good quality, much less great quality.

Back