Television

I really wish they would give each book a season.

The plan actually is-

The Golden Compass: 1 season
The Subtle Knife: 1 season
The Amber Spyglass: 2 seasons

But clearly, the are already intertwining elements of the various books into the world building. I think the two season order was, as usual, just to make sure ratings are okay. Also, they began shooting season 2 immediately after season 1 because they didn't want the kids aging too much. On the one hand, I respect that decision. On the other, it means they will be unable to listen to what is and is not working before approaching the second book.

The plan actually is-

The Golden Compass: 1 season
The Subtle Knife: 1 season
The Amber Spyglass: 2 seasons

But clearly, the are already intertwining elements of the various books into the world building. I think the two season order was, as usual, just to make sure ratings are okay. Also, they began shooting season 2 immediately after season 1 because they didn't want the kids aging too much. On the one hand, I respect that decision. On the other, it means they will be unable to listen to what is and is not working before approaching the second book.

Ah makes sense. I did some digging a few weeks ago and never found this breakdown.

I'm always conflicted on how much condensing these kinds of shows really need. On one hand even at a 2 season order of ~10 episodes they would get roughly twice as much screentime as a theatrical franchise, but with TV you get into a weird space of allowing some subplots, inventing some new ones, and canning some others. With this in mind I do think it's a bit strange the college only got one episode, but that could be due to filming permits or any number of logistic issues.

I just hope it's allowed to run throughout the books, apparently the ratings fell pretty hard for the BBC last episode, it would be a shame to have two incomplete adaptations of the same work!

Ah makes sense. I did some digging a few weeks ago and never found this breakdown.

I'm always conflicted on how much condensing these kinds of shows really need. On one hand even at a 2 season order of ~10 episodes they would get roughly twice as much screentime as a theatrical franchise, but with TV you get into a weird space of allowing some subplots, inventing some new ones, and canning some others. With this in mind I do think it's a bit strange the college only got one episode, but that could be due to filming permits or any number of logistic issues.

I just hope it's allowed to run throughout the books, apparently the ratings fell pretty hard for the BBC last episode, it would be a shame to have two incomplete adaptations of the same work!

It feel, but from a record breaking 7 million + to like 5.6. And that was before streaming was incorporated. I'm not too worried (yet).

It feel, but from a record breaking 7 million + to like 5.6. And that was before streaming was incorporated. I'm not too worried (yet).

Yeah and live ratings are becoming massively irrelevant, just saw an article today about ABC ditching them as their prime metric to measure a show's performance. Plenty of people tune into shows like this and then peace when the realize it's a bit more high fantasy minded than they might have hoped. I'm always worried about such things, but HBO and BBC aren't exactly the biggest show cancellers out there and neither has to foot the whole bill here.

Watched the first ep of the Imagineering documentary series on Disney+. This is exactly the documentary I've been wanting to exist for years. Yeah, it's very biased. Not much in the way of criticism. But if you're at all interested in what went into Disneyland, and Disneyworld (which will probably be the main focus of the second episode), then check it out. I've been reading a book about the history of Disneyworld and have been loving it. I already know there's so much in it (primarily in the way of accidental deaths and injuries) that won't be covered on the show. But I still just really enjoy this series because I'm just someone that's interested in Disneyworld's whole thing.

Watched the first ep of the Imagineering documentary series on Disney+. This is exactly the documentary I've been wanting to exist for years. Yeah, it's very biased. Not much in the way of criticism. But if you're at all interested in what went into Disneyland, and Disneyworld (which will probably be the main focus of the second episode), then check it out. I've been reading a book about the history of Disneyworld and have been loving it. I already know there's so much in it (primarily in the way of accidental deaths and injuries) that won't be covered on the show. But I still just really enjoy this series because I'm just someone that's interested in Disneyworld's whole thing.

It's excellent. Lots of footage of early Disneyland that I'd never seen before. It's supposed to be 6 parts with the second one going up on Friday.

I watched the first episode of the Mandalorian and have a question about the ending. How do I use the spoiler tag? I have a search but couldn't work it out and dont want to drop a spoiler here.

I watched the first episode of the Mandalorian and have a question about the ending. How do I use the spoiler tag? I have a search but couldn't work it out and dont want to drop a spoiler here.

Untitled2.png

Spoiler will give you the yellow box, inline will give you the fuzzy whited out text you have to click on to reveal.

Perfect, thanks @Mr Moore

So my question regarding the first episode of the Mandolorian is below

Was the Yoda looking alien at the end actually Yoda? Im a bit confused by the whole timeline
no it's not actually Yoda, since it takes place after the original trilogy and Yodas death. It is only the third member of Yodas species to make it on film and considering Yoda was thought to be the last of his species, its a pretty big reveal

Two weeks after delivering a dialogue-free episode with a 40 minute heist and a breathtaking 20 minute chase sequence, Mr. Robot gave audiences a 4 character, 5 act play that USA aired without commercials.

It's also an episode that proves one of the most powerful meditations on the ripple effects of trauma that I can ever recall gracing the small screen and Remi absolutely kills it.

(Beware that any of the glowing reviews below contain series spoilers).

Two weeks after delivering a dialogue-free episode with a 40 minute heist and a breathtaking 20 minute chase sequence, Mr. Robot gave audiences a 4 character, 5 act play that USA aired without commercials.

It's also an episode that proves one of the most powerful meditations on the ripple effects of trauma that I can ever recall gracing the small screen and Remi absolutely kills it.

(Beware that any of the glowing reviews below contain series spoilers).

I had a feeling this one was going to be small and like a play when I heard it was commercial free. At first I was a tiny bit annoyed, believing it was going to be a detour in the overarching plot. But I was dead wrong. This episode unlocked something so big and so heartbreaking. Rami has been so good throughout the series, but this was I believe the best of his work so far. Incredible, tense, upsetting episode.

Back