Television

I think Stranger Things 3 is probably the best season yet. But this is really only because they have more money now to lean into the style they’ve been going for all along. Each season is basically the same setup, but the characters (old and new) are always so good that it doesn’t really matter.

Scoop’s Ahoy crew for life.

I think this season took the format and made everything a bit better- the effects and set design were top notch for a TV show, but also the acting and plotting were up a step from previous seasons. It's a good case of series growing up some with the cast. I think it also shows how Hollywood in general should spend more time ripping off classics rather than trying to remake them, play with the tropes rather than try to recreate them.

I'm reminded of an Umberto Eco quote (about Casablanca):
Two clichés make us laugh. A hundred cliches move us. For we sense dimly that the clichés are talking among themselves, and celebrating a reunion.

Thus far, I'm half way through Stranger Things S3, and I think that this has been the best season yet. The story is whacky, but it actually works amazingly well because of how well it was written and acted. If it had a lower production value, it would be hard for me to swallow the story, but they have really hit this season out the park. It's really great.

I started Lodge 49 based on cryptic word of mouth praise. Just watched the first episode so far, so it’s impossible to really say much about how I feel. It’s okay, not really incredible yet. But I’ve read it’s a very rewarding show once you make it through the season. Curious to see why and how.

I started Lodge 49 based on cryptic word of mouth praise. Just watched the first episode so far, so it’s impossible to really say much about how I feel. It’s okay, not really incredible yet. But I’ve read it’s a very rewarding show once you make it through the season. Curious to see why and how.
It's very good and I'm excited for S2 starting up soon

@ranbalam - I finished Nurse Jackie. She is both the worst person ever and the best person ever. I'm not sure how they pulled that off. Merritt Wever and Betty Gilpen were the best part of the show. I think Edie Falco has probably pigeon holed herself into that tough/no-nonsense role.

Now I need to find my next 30 min show to binge.....

I watched Stranger Things S1. I thought it was fine, but definitely didn't love it as much as most people seemed to. Skipped S2 entirely but am hearing good things about S3.
1. If I didn't love S1, should I even bother with S3?
2. If your answer to #1 is yes, can I watch S3 without having watched any of S2?

OMG this is our eternal struggle. We always watch an hour-long drama and afterwards we need something short and light before bed, but there seems to be a dearth of options in that category. Whatever happened to the 23 minute sitcom?

I watched Stranger Things S1. I thought it was fine, but definitely didn't love it as much as most people seemed to. Skipped S2 entirely but am hearing good things about S3.
2. If your answer to #1 is yes, can I watch S3 without having watched any of S2?
I don't think you would really understand what is happening unless you watch S2. It has been a very linear story that builds on the story line from the previous season.

OMG this is our eternal struggle. We always watch an hour-long drama and afterwards we need something short and light before bed, but there seems to be a dearth of options in that category. Whatever happened to the 23 minute sitcom?

That is exactly what I do! I always have to have a <30 minute show to watch after I scare/stress out myself with the hour long dramas. I haevn't figured out what my next one will be. So I've been watching 30 minute segments of 80s movies for the last several days. Planes Trains and Automobiles was last night's.

Yeah... very confused as to why you’d skip S2. Was it to catch up to the hype with season 3? Season 2 is essential to the show. You have to watch it otherwise you’ll be confused and/or spoiled for Season 3.

Yeah... very confused as to why you’d skip S2. Was it to catch up to the hype with season 3? Season 2 is essential to the show. You have to watch it otherwise you’ll be confused and/or spoiled for Season 3.
Just because I didn't love S1 and from what I've heard S2 is the weakest season

@ranbalam - I finished Nurse Jackie. She is both the worst person ever and the best person ever. I'm not sure how they pulled that off. Merritt Wever and Betty Gilpen were the best part of the show. I think Edie Falco has probably pigeon holed herself into that tough/no-nonsense role.

Nice! We stalled out on it and haven't gotten back to it in awhile. There are SO many shows I need to get back to. Battlestar, Nurse J, Handmaid's Tale to name just a few. When my wife has knee surgery in November I have a hunch we will have a ton of TV time.

You could always do Parks and Rec just one more time. :D

Nice! We stalled out on it and haven't gotten back to it in awhile. There are SO many shows I need to get back to. Battlestar, Nurse J, Handmaid's Tale to name just a few. When my wife has knee surgery in November I have a hunch we will have a ton of TV time.

You could always do Parks and Rec just one more time. :D
Funny you should say that. My cousin couldn't get into PnR. I told him to skip season 1. He did and then binged the rest. And loved it. He's on his 2nd time through. We were just talking about our favorite episodes. And it made me think I may need to watch again.

Funny you should say that. My cousin couldn't get into PnR. I told him to skip season 1. He did and then binged the rest. And loved it. He's on his 2nd time through. We were just talking about our favorite episodes. And it made me think I may need to watch again.

You and I have previously talked about how S2 is really when that show becomes so lovable. I've watched it twice through and could definitely watch it a third...and maybe I'd skip S1 this time too. But before that, I'll finish Nurse Jackie!

So...this now makes a ton of sense. I've been really enjoying this season of Big Little Lies, but it still has felt a little off. It still looked a lot like season one to me (now I know why), but the pacing was weird and the editing jarring. Well, that wasn't just me feeling this way for there's a specific reason why. And it's pretty shitty. Mostly the thing that has bugged me is how all the episodes are short, all the scenes are short, and every ep ends awkwardly. We can now pretty safely blame Jean-Marc Vallée for all of that.

Yep...I tell anyone new to Parks to skip season 1 - or at least slog through it and that it gets so much better on S2.

On their second viewing they can go back and watch it, but it didn't start off well.

A.P. Bio is pretty funny once it gets going. It's on Hulu.

Just got cancelled after the 2nd season which really sucks.

Back