Television

We watched The Gilded Age last night. Love Carrie Coon so we're definitely in to watch anything she does. There is a bit of Downton derivative but New York at the turn of the century is pretty interesting to me. Since it's HBO, I'm sure they'll spice it up some.
Julian Fellowes is behind it. I am sure HBO views “Downton Derivative” as not necessarily a bad thing.

Julian Fellowes is behind it. I am sure HBO views “Downton Derivative” as not necessarily a bad thing.
Right, I knew it was a Julian Fellowes production. There was just a bit of my wife and I commenting, "oh he's the Carson" of the house or he's like Thomas Barrow. It's not necessarily their fault, it's just seemingly like an American Downton Abbey which is fine. The fault lies more with what we're bringing into watching the show.

Right, I knew it was a Julian Fellowes production. There was just a bit of my wife and I commenting, "oh he's the Carson" of the house or he's like Thomas Barrow. It's not necessarily their fault, it's just seemingly like an American Downton Abbey which is fine. The fault lies more with what we're bringing into watching the show.
Yeah I had that feeling a few times as well. Though, I thought some of it was intentional, like America wasn’t born with a built in class system a lot of it feels like burgeoning wealth attempting to emulate the European haute society. Like it’s the same but less so; like a copy of the original.

Last edited:
Me and my husband did the same thing!😂

EXACTLY

We only made it 15 minutes in before we were interrupted by kids but I can already tell that I am going to enjoy this.
Yeah, we're going to love it as well. My wife's a huge New York nerd so she was already digging out the phone to look up that block and who the characters were based on. I think the interesting aspect will be that you'll root for Mrs. Russell to break through the NY social scene but her husband is quite the bastard and will be hard to root for as he tries to crush others in his quest for dominance. In looking up the cast, I was happy to learn Peggy was in a musical we saw when we were up there on a birthday trip for my wife. She played Natasha in Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812.

Yeah, we're going to love it as well. My wife's a huge New York nerd so she was already digging out the phone to look up that block and who the characters were based on. I think the interesting aspect will be that you'll root for Mrs. Russell to break through the NY social scene but her husband is quite the bastard and will be hard to root for as he tries to crush others in his quest for dominance. In looking up the cast, I was happy to learn Peggy was in a musical we saw when we were up there on a birthday trip for my wife. She played Natasha in Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812.
Oh that’s so cool that you saw Peggy irl!!

Alright, I just finished Station Eleven and everyone on here was right; this was an amazing show. It all comes together beautifully. It feels like almost a spiritual sequel to The Leftover in both style and tone (I know one of the guys behind The Leftovers was also behind Station Eleven). The execution and cinematography and score were all brilliant. I was fairy skeptical going in but it’s probably the best thing I’ve seen on TV all of 2021.

Last edited:
Alright, I just finished Station Eleven and everyone on here was right; this was an amazing show. It all comes together beautifully. It feels like almost a spiritual sequel to The Leftover in both style and tone (I know one of the guys behind The Leftovers was also behind Station Eleven). The execution and cinematography and score were all brilliant. I was fairy skeptical going in but it’s probably the best thing I’ve seen on TV all of 2021.
The more time since I've watched it and the more I've appreciated it as I've thought through it. The actor who played Clark did such an amazing job. I'm thinking of writing an essay on it soon so I need to do a rewatch.

We watched The Woman in the House Across the Street From the Girl in the Window yesterday while I was grading papers. It's certainly a unique contribution to the mystery and the parody of mystery genre. It's not brilliant, but without much to compare it to it stands alone in some ways. It's one of those shows that I enjoyed watching, but mainly because it had enough weirdness and occasional funny stuff to pull me through it.

We watched The Woman in the House Across the Street From the Girl in the Window yesterday while I was grading papers. It's certainly a unique contribution to the mystery and the parody of mystery genre. It's not brilliant, but without much to compare it to it stands alone in some ways. It's one of those shows that I enjoyed watching, but mainly because it had enough weirdness and occasional funny stuff to pull me through it.

I watched that too..it’s a blatant piss take of the whole gone girl / girl on the train ... movie ...not sure how many would watch a series 2 after basically being mugged off at the end of series 1..

Just finished the final season of The Expanse. It really is one hell of a show!

Well, what I assume is the final season anyway, I think I saw somewhere that they aren't making any more and it seemed to all tie together? Although, I do wonder if they had Filip escape at the end to allow for a spin-off or something.

I've been watching this too - not done so no spoilers please. I think the humor in it is mostly because a lot of the people on the show plays their part so seriously but what's happening is just so ridiculous you can't help but to laugh.

Like that handyman who fixes her mailbox for like years on end. At first I was like - WTF is that guy doing? Why's he taking so long on that mailbox?? Does it really take days to do that? Then it gets revealed by Anna's ex-husband that he hired him years ago and that he's a rehabilitated exmurderer and he's been working on it for years! And she didn't find anything wrong with that until now!

Last edited:
Alright, much happier with The Gilded Age after episode 2. The ending was great.

That's good to hear, I thought E1 was just kind of ok. We didn't watch E2 last night but I'm sure we'll get to it with a big ol' snowstorm coming through the next couple days.
I just finished the first episode and I'm in love. I can't wait to watch the next one. I'm only really limited by how much of this my husband can handle at one time.

Back