Television

Started up Amazon’s Reacher today and found it quite enjoyable. Jack Reacher is is like Columbo combined with John Wick. I’ve never read the books but it’s some extremely watchable throwback pulpy TV. Hard to believe that someone ever thought Tom Cruise could play this character. Thankfully the Actor playing Reacher in the TV series is built like brick shithouse.

It's a recurrent theme through the whole show. But I haven't read the books either so no idea if it's central to them.
I've read most of the Jack Reacher books and have the others on my shelf ready to go.

I have the show lined up to watch but I'm apprehensive because I have this idea of what the character is like and matching that on-screen will be hard. Cruise was no Jack Reacher to me, both in terms of physical stature and character. But that being said, I still enjoyed it but couldn't link it to what I saw as Reacher.

In terms of his size, it's integral in a way. The whole idea is that he's this larger than life presence, an ex high ranking military police Major that was brought in to solve the crimes no one else could whilst also being able to hold his own and is now retired and travelling across the country he dedicated much of his life to protect. He's basically an unstoppable juggernaut but has a more sensitive side which would be tricky to show on screen without going down the stereotypical path and in the books it's more about the internal dialogue which reveals these aspects.

I'm glad it's been renewed, I assume that means it's done quite well. Season 1 is based on The Killing Floor, which is the first book in the series. Perhaps the second will be based on the next one, Die Trying. Although saying that, apart from the odd non-integral storyline they can typically be read out of order. I buy them from my local charity shop and just read them as I come to them, so not in order at all, but they all still make sense and I have never been confused by any missing elements.

I'm just finishing up "All Of Us Are Dead" on Netflix then will move on to Reacher

Last edited:
Yeah, I read today that it’s already been picked up for a second season. It was a nice counter balance following The Gilded Age today though…
George Russell did cause a man who was mean to his wife to kill himself so he’s kind of a bad ass too.
We just watched the second episode and I love it. I love the way he shows parallels in this series to the English regency and their acceptance of the new a couple decades later. The fake pomp is delightful and I love seeing below stairs regular people who make the extravagance possible.

We just watched the second episode and I love it. I love the way he shows parallels in this series to the English regency and their acceptance of the new a couple decades later. The fake pomp is delightful and I love seeing below stairs regular people who make the extravagance possible.
Yeah, episode 3 is a doozy.

I've read most of the Jack Reacher books and have the others on my shelf ready to go.

I have the show lined up to watch but I'm apprehensive because I have this idea of what the character is like and matching that on-screen will be hard. Cruise was no Jack Reacher to me, both in terms of physical stature and character. But that being said, I still enjoyed it but couldn't link it to what I saw as Reacher.

In terms of his size, it's integral in a way. The whole idea is that he's this larger than life presence, an ex high ranking military police Major that was brought in to solve the crimes no one else could whilst also being able to hold his own and is now retired and travelling across the country he dedicated much of his life to protect. He's basically an unstoppable juggernaut but has a more sensitive side which would be tricky to show on screen without going down the stereotypical path and in the books it's more about the internal dialogue which reveals these aspects.

I'm glad it's been renewed, I assume that means it's done quite well. Season 1 is based on The Killing Floor, which is the first book in the series. Perhaps the second will be based on the next one, Die Trying. Although saying that, apart from the odd non-integral storyline they can typically be read out of order. I buy them from my local charity shop and just read them as I come to them, so not in order at all, but they all still make sense and I have never been confused by any missing elements.

I'm just finishing up "All Of Us Are Dead" on Netflix then will move on to Reacher
Based on your description I think you will pretty happy with Amazon’s Reacher. Both the Show and the actors portrayal.

Somehow time got away from me and it escaped me until last night that the Winter Olympics has already started.

I watched the snowboarding qualifications last night and will watch the finals tonight.

All day I had coverage on starting at 11:00am after I discovered how to get NBC in 4K HDR.

Sure I could always switch back to Xfinity to get that, but I don't want to. Hulu Live, The NBC App or the Peacock App do not have 4k streams of the Olympics. But apparently YouTube TV does. So I signed up for a 14 day free trial of YouTube TV as well as a 30 day free trial for 4K Plus.

This gives me all the Olympic Broadcast in 4K HDR. The 4k certainly does look nice. HDR I'm not really noticing that it has any real benefit. I don't get blown away like PS5 games.

I don't think YouTube having 4K TV and Hulu not is enough to get me to switch yet. The 4K Plus package on YouTube is a an additional $20 a month. And the 4K content you get is almost non existent. It's only NFL Games on NBC and FOX. Random NBA games (There is only one showing in the guide and it airs in 3 days, 4K channels show separately in the guide and just show as "off error until said event at such date and time"). Looks like Golf Tournaments and other random sports events get 4K HDR, but no Movies or TV shows exist yet in 4k HDR. And probably won't as it doesn't seem to be a priority for US broadcasters.

Hell, the 4K broadcast in the United States only exist on Cable or YouTube TV. No over the air free broadcasts are available and no network has any plans to change this because they just upgraded to HD in the last 20 years and consider it irresponsible to their shareholders to upgrade their equipment again so soon.

As for NBC in 4K. Xfinity is the only Cable Provider that has it and only in 38 cities, no surprise because they own NBC Universal. Surprised they are allowing it on YouTube TV. Cox cable and Dish Networks do get NBC 4k Content on VOD next day. So 2 days after the event actually happened...

Hope Chloe Kim gets gold tonight! Haven't looked up any spoilers. I want to watch it in 4K tonight =)

Back