Television

Alright, I just finished Station Eleven and everyone on here was right; this was an amazing show. It all comes together beautifully. It feels like almost a spiritual sequel to The Leftover in both style and tone (I know one of the guys behind The Leftovers was also behind Station Eleven). The execution and cinematography and score were all brilliant. I was fairy skeptical going in but it’s probably the best thing I’ve seen on TV all of 2021.
I have to get back to this post holidays now, tx for the reminder

Has anyone watched the new Reacher series on Prime?

Im a big fan of the Jack Reacher books, they are so easy to read, but I have always felt it would be hard to capture his character on screen.

I just finished the first episode and I'm in love. I can't wait to watch the next one. I'm only really limited by how much of this my husband can handle at one time.
It's really good to see depth and character in American acting here. It's becoming a lost art IMHO. Carrie Coon is a highlight indeed. Having Fellowes helps I'm sure.

Started up Amazon’s Reacher today and found it quite enjoyable. Jack Reacher is is like Columbo combined with John Wick. I’ve never read the books but it’s some extremely watchable throwback pulpy TV. Hard to believe that someone ever thought Tom Cruise could play this character. Thankfully the Actor playing Reacher in the TV series is built like brick shithouse.

Started up Amazon’s Reacher today and found it quite enjoyable. Jack Reacher is is like Columbo combined with John Wick. I’ve never read the books but it’s some extremely watchable throwback pulpy TV. Hard to believe that someone ever thought Tom Cruise could play this character. Thankfully the Actor playing Reacher in the TV series is built like brick shithouse.

Didn’t Cruise do 2 Reacher movies? Is being built like a brick shithouse that integral to the plot?
It's a recurrent theme through the whole show. But I haven't read the books either so no idea if it's central to them.

Didn’t Cruise do 2 Reacher movies? Is being built like a brick shithouse that integral to the plot?
I think the idea is that this giant bad ass loner who shows up to a small town out of the blue and through some vigilantism/detective work takes down a corrupt figure and save the day. It’s the idea of speaking softly and carrying a big stick. It’s actually almost working against tropes. Usually the big intimidating guys is a lunkhead or you’re surprised when Tom Cruise or Matt Damon type turns out to be killing machines despite their unassuming stature but with Reacher he’s a giant intimidating bad ass that is also a killing machine and also an exceptional Investigator/Detective.

I think the idea is that this giant bad ass loner who shows up to a small town out of the blue and through some vigilantism/detective work takes down a corrupt figure and save the day. It’s the idea of speaking softly and carrying a big stick. It’s actually almost working against tropes. Usually the big intimidating guys is a lunkhead or you’re surprised when Tom Cruise or Matt Damon type turns out to be killing machines despite their unassuming stature but with Reacher he’s a giant intimidating bad ass that is also a killing machine and also an exceptional Investigator/Detective.
Having finished it I ended up liking it far more than my little review above implied. I hope they make more. The cast was solid and the show really hit it's stride a couple episodes in.

Having finished it I ended up liking it far more than my little review above implied. I hope they make more. The cast was solid and the show really hit it's stride a couple episodes in.
Yeah, I read today that it’s already been picked up for a second season. It was a nice counter balance following The Gilded Age today though…
George Russell did cause a man who was mean to his wife to kill himself so he’s kind of a bad ass too.

I just finished Reacher, too. Really fun show! I hear it's been renewed for a second season.

And this pod is a great listen - kind of spoilery for the first couple of episodes only

Love The Watch. I don’t listen to many podcasts but when I do it’s usually this.
I just started listening to podcasts maybe 6-9 months ago? Pretty great to kill time while walking the dog. I mainly listen to the Watch and other Ringer podcasts like the Big Picture and the Rewatchables. One of their hidden gem podcasts is 60 Songs that Explain the 90's.

I just started listening to podcasts maybe 6-9 months ago? Pretty great to kill time while walking the dog. I mainly listen to the Watch and other Ringer podcasts like the Big Picture and the Rewatchables. One of their hidden gem podcasts is 60 Songs that Explain the 90's.
Thanks for the reminder! I listened to the 60 songs that explain the 90s episode on “Hey Jealousy” and enjoyed it quite a bit. I should give some of the other episodes a go.

Thanks for the reminder! I listened to the 60 songs that explain the 90s episode on “Hey Jealousy” and enjoyed it quite a bit. I should give some of the other episodes a go.
Rob announced last week that due to overwhelming demand he's now doing 90 songs!! I've listened to almost all of the ones released so far, really good stuff.

Back