Television

This is one of the best shows ever.

I watched through season 4 and I was sad when they said they weren't coming back with it. Then it ended up getting saved. I really need to do a rewatch of all the seasons so that I can get caught back up to start the two seasons I haven't watched.
Season 6 finale is not being advertised as a series finale as we initially thought. Let’s get this show to season 10.

Watching the finale of Station Eleven. The more I think on the show the more I love it. The power of the humanities, of literature, theater, and art, and the value and esteem they have after the world ends. It fills me with joy and sorrow at the same time. The world we could have only appears in the ruins of the world we have. It doesn't have to be that way, but the engine of modernity has a mind if it's own. We are slaves to the worst human advances and life needs to slow down for us to realize it could be better. I hope this message comes through the show beyond the surface plot, which is still quite good.

Watching the finale of Station Eleven. The more I think on the show the more I love it. The power of the humanities, of literature, theater, and art, and the value and esteem they have after the world ends. It fills me with joy and sorrow at the same time. The world we could have only appears in the ruins of the world we have. It doesn't have to be that way, but the engine of modernity has a mind if it's own. We are slaves to the worst human advances and life needs to slow down for us to realize it could be better. I hope this message comes through the show beyond the surface plot, which is still quite good.
I am gonna have to give it a go. Lots of rave reveiws. I watched the preview and it seemed very liberal arts undergrad theater major; ACTING WILL SAVE THE WORLD type vibe. I think the fall of society would be much more, The Road or The Walking Dead than Shakespeare In The Park.

I am gonna have to give it a go. Lots of rave reveiws. I watched the preview and it seemed very liberal arts undergrad theater major; ACTING WILL SAVE THE WORLD type vibe. I think the fall of society would be much more, The Road or The Walking Dead than Shakespeare In The Park.
I agree, but it's not so much about saving the world. The world is gone. It's more what from it is worth remembering and how can we find a way to connect to each other once the social ties that bind us are gone. In a lot of ways it reminded me of The Leftovers. It's about finding ways to deal with the trauma of the end.

I had the same trepidations as well. I just finished ep 7 and have been liking it a lot

Nice! I just started watching the most recent season. It’s not a perfect show but probably the best live action hard sci-fi show since the Battlestar Galactica remake.
Just watched the series finale last night. Ended well but with potential for future seasons or movies if Amazon decided to go that route.

I loved the show.

I read the book and listened to the audiobook version...and I like the show a lot better.

Search Party final season thoughts

holy shit did I hate the way they ended this series. I watch shows like Search Party to get away from supernatural / zombie shit and they had to go and lean into it. So damn disappointed

I enjoyed the finale and overall really enjoyed what this show was doing. There’s a lot going on subtextually that I didn’t grasp all the time so I think I both want to re-watch it and read the book. But ultimately, some things worked better than others. Yet in general I’d have to recommend it cause it has so many qualities I really love - and overwhelming message that hits.

maybe I’m just missing something but the entire love story sorta arc between Clark and Miranda just never fully gelled for me - even though I think both characters added so much to the larger story going on. There was some emphasis put on their relationship which I just never bought. I don’t know why.

The Jeevan / Kirsten relationship though is the whole heartbeat of the show. And watching how much of their past informed their future and then their ultimate reconnection at the end was incredibly satisfying. It was so beautifully done. I didn’t expect to be that moved when they saw each other again but I was. I didn’t even expect it to happen, as I thought episode 9 was Jeevan’s story ending. So that was a great ending for their characters, and probably my biggest takeaway from the show.
Search Party final season thoughts

holy shit did I hate the way they ended this series. I watch shows like Search Party to get away from supernatural / zombie shit and they had to go and lean into it. So damn disappointed
honestly yes I’m so uninterested in zombies and the supernatural shit that has been done to death in tv shows too. I was a little bummed that’s how they chose to end it cause it felt off from everything I loved about the show. However, from a character perspective I did enjoy how they reacted to it and everything. There’s even something funny just about how the show culminates into throwing everything out the window and becoming a straight up zombie horror comedy at the end. But at the end of the day I wouldn’t say it’s an incredibly satisfying ending for the series itself. It’s so different from what it was. Some of that worked. I liked what it was mining in regards to to social media / fake wellness, but I didn’t expect it to go so hard into just straight zombie horror. And some of it makes it feel like everything that came before was pointless.

Am I missing the deeper lessons of Succession? Is my reptilian brain too easily entertained?

Cause one of my favorite lines is Roman saying "Are there going to be nibbles at this event? Because I was expecting nibbles". Of course, delivered in that annoying, dick Roman way.
I’m in love with Cousin Greg’s “Classic Tacitus, all killer no filler with him. Did he ever have a bad quote?”

Back