Television

Station Eleven hive, where you at?
Pretty into it. I'm very much looking forward to see how things all come together in the finale this week.

The pair of episodes last week were great. The flow of the story is what works best to me, especially how the past episodes come to inform the present in so many interesting ways.

I am definitely gonna read the book soon.

This new (final) season of Search Party is off the walls crazy. I'm about halfway through. It's amazing that this is the same show as season one...it's changed so many times, with each season getting weirder.

The Mrs. and I are watching Community for the first time. Really enjoyed season 1 and season 2 (which started to get weird but was still funny) but season 3 continues to get weird and IMO is no longer funny. Does the series ever recover?
Not quite! There isn't a season 4, but I remember season 5 being o-kay and the yahoo season being underwhelming but worth it for the addition of Paget Brewster and Keith David.

The Mrs. and I are watching Community for the first time. Really enjoyed season 1 and season 2 (which started to get weird but was still funny) but season 3 continues to get weird and IMO is no longer funny. Does the series ever recover?
No. There are moments but they come less frequently the farther you go.

I'm really digging Station Eleven, but I'm only past episode two. I usually have no trouble taking in stuff others would call "too soon," or "too much right now;" I even watched The Leftovers early into the pandemic and saw a lot of catharsis in it. But this show is just hitting on things in a way that's keeping me taking it slow. It's very emotionally grounded, but also fraught (but I don't know if that wears away if the show focuses more on twenty years in the future rather than the apocalyptic stuff itself).

Why the heck did that guy audition with the Independence Day speech? Maybe it's a comfort level thing for him, but I was thinking "why would you want to audition to perform only Shakespeare but have a problem auditioning with Shakespeare?" Maybe I just don't think that any writing from ID4 should be lionized so, even if Pullman speeched the heck out of that speech.

Season 3 has some of my absolute favorite episodes, but they're probably the ones that are weird, so YMMV... 🤷‍♂️

How faithful is the series to the books? I assume a lot of tertiary characters and side plots needed to be compressed for the show?
Yes, but it is still pretty faithful. They convoluted some minor characters in bigger recurring ones but did this pretty well.

Cas anvars sexual assault accusations seemed to have forced them to the biggest change

Dan Harmon was forced out after season 3. He was the lynch pin that held it all together.

Yes, but it is still pretty faithful. They convoluted some minor characters in bigger recurring ones but did this pretty well.

Cas anvars sexual assault accusations seemed to have forced them to the biggest change
Ya, they are pretty faithful. Book 6 is a logical place to stop the series, but hopefully they do a movie for each of the later books.

I am glad Camina got a much more interesting role in the show

I actually like a lot of season 3, but season 4 and 5 are rough. The last one on Yahoo was actually much better than anyone ever gave it credit for, but it still wasn't up to the greatness of the earlier seasons.

I just finished a rewatch of the first two seasons of Succession.
First off, I swear sometimes I forget that Brian Cox isn't actually Logan Roy. He's SO natural in that role...nearly flawless.
And, that S2 finale was excellent.

I had a thought after the second viewing
I think Logan decided that it was going to be Kendall taking the fall well before the yacht excursion. Maybe before or even during the hearings...that's when Logan first volleyed the blame to Ken. So all the stuff on the yacht was him toying with everyone and seeing where everybody's head was.

Catching up on The Expanse. This show is exceptional.
This is one of the best shows ever.

I watched through season 4 and I was sad when they said they weren't coming back with it. Then it ended up getting saved. I really need to do a rewatch of all the seasons so that I can get caught back up to start the two seasons I haven't watched.

Back