Television

This is pretty much how I feel. I just watched it this week in a two day span. Great location, great acting, even great moments. But ultimately, not hugely impactful. I liked that they slowly starting bringing up the nature of privilege and how it relates directly to so much of what's happening. How a lot of the individual stories played out was nice and satisfying, but it does sort of lack something overall. I don't necessarily have complaints about it other than I found some of it over the top and gross (sparingly, but still gross), but it's not like the best thing that came out last year or anything like that. I am interested in the apparently happening second season - though it'll be new people in a new location.
I know Coolidge is supposed to be back, and Michael Imperioli was also just announced.

I read a great suggestion that they could use another season to bring back Molly Shannon in some capacity. She was almost TOO realistic in her portrayal for me to enjoy a season built around her, but it would be an interesting experiment.

I know Coolidge is supposed to be back, and Michael Imperioli was also just announced.

I read a great suggestion that they could use another season to bring back Molly Shannon in some capacity. She was almost TOO realistic in her portrayal for me to enjoy a season built around her, but it would be an interesting experiment.
I do think Coolidge was great, but maybe I'm in the minority here that I don't really need to see her character again? I feel like her story is essentially done, I don't know. Molly Shannon was also great, but I do wonder how it would be for a whole season.

I didn’t mean it as a slight. I enjoy it less than Bob’s Burgers but watching them back to back makes for an enjoyable hour of TV.
I tried watching The Great North when it first started and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another try.

However, Central Park is a great show too from the same Bob's Burgers team. It's on Apple TV+ and has an excellent voice cast (Leslie Odom, Jr., Daveed Diggs, Kathryn Hahn, Stanley Tucci). Two seasons so far.

Sunday can't get here fast enough. Will Jesse be a better father and husband? Will Judy get a boyfriend who will go down on her butthole? Will Kelvin and Keefe just get it over with?

Last edited:
Loving it. Finished Ep. 8, was moved, then read the blurb for Ep. 9 and I had to stop. That one's gonna wreck me.

I'm liking what they've done with the prophet in the show. In the book, he was pretty much a villain. Here, he's more complex and sympathetic.
Is the book worth seeking out?

Loving it. Finished Ep. 8, was moved, then read the blurb for Ep. 9 and I had to stop. That one's gonna wreck me.

I'm liking what they've done with the prophet in the show. In the book, he was pretty much a villain. Here, he's more complex and sympathetic.
I was really happy with how some of the things turned out in episode 9. But I still love the episodes from the "past" better than the "present" ones. A couple of those have wrecked me in the best way.

Has anyone checked out Firebite, yet? Watched the first couple last night and caught up to episode 4 this morning. It has its flaws, but I've liked several Australian shows over the past few years and I like that this one is mostly centered on Aboriginal people.

Jennifer Coolidge is great in this and I like the entire cast overall. There are some pretty good moments among characters and I enjoyed watching it. (over two nights) I love the scenery and the music is fantastic too. And yet it just didn't quite all add up to something I'd recommend or watch again. I rate it 'entertaining enough.' I should probably watch the finale though.
I loved the way they used the music to kind of play off the scenes and dialogue and ground it all in a reality that felt less cringey. It felt almost like a cosmic Hawaiian greek chorus type of thing, gently nudging the audience to expect certain things or signaling a reaction. Just hearing those random scattered “oh oh oh-oh”s like gave me chills haha. And the weird harmonies in the theme song were just so enticing - it gave the show an addictive quality that I don’t think I would have felt otherwise. It kind of reminded me of the Leftovers and when you’d be in the middle of a scene and all of a sudden one of those gentle little piano motifs would start up, ever so softly and slowly and gently, and you’d just instinctively start bracing (or reaching for the tissues) for whatever would happen next.

Back