Television

I enjoyed the finale and overall really enjoyed what this show was doing. There’s a lot going on subtextually that I didn’t grasp all the time so I think I both want to re-watch it and read the book. But ultimately, some things worked better than others. Yet in general I’d have to recommend it cause it has so many qualities I really love - and overwhelming message that hits.

maybe I’m just missing something but the entire love story sorta arc between Clark and Miranda just never fully gelled for me - even though I think both characters added so much to the larger story going on. There was some emphasis put on their relationship which I just never bought. I don’t know why.

The Jeevan / Kirsten relationship though is the whole heartbeat of the show. And watching how much of their past informed their future and then their ultimate reconnection at the end was incredibly satisfying. It was so beautifully done. I didn’t expect to be that moved when they saw each other again but I was. I didn’t even expect it to happen, as I thought episode 9 was Jeevan’s story ending. So that was a great ending for their characters, and probably my biggest takeaway from the show.
Was Clark and Miranda's relationship supposed to be a love story? I didn't really get that impression. It did seem like he was infatuated with her, but more in a sense that he felt her attitude about her art and Hollywood represented the true and genuine person that he wanted himself and others to be and therefore enjoyed his time with her more than anyone else in his life. Am I off base? Where did you get the impression of romance? I'm sure I missed it.

Was Clark and Miranda's relationship supposed to be a love story? I didn't really get that impression. It did seem like he was infatuated with her, but more in a sense that he felt her attitude about her art and Hollywood represented the true and genuine person that he wanted himself and others to be and therefore enjoyed his time with her more than anyone else in his life. Am I off base? Where did you get the impression of romance? I'm sure I missed it.
I had the same impression as you @dhodo

the reason I felt that way was how Miranda desperately wanted to get back to the states to see him. She says something about seeing “the man I love” or something like that. Her episode seemed to be showing their relationship - which wasn’t a good one, but I felt like I was supposed to feel her love for him and I didn’t really? Am I wrong here? I don’t really know.

Edit: I also realize I am getting the character names wrong for some reason. My brain is a mess. I mean Arthur and Miranda, not Clark and Miranda. Arthur is Gael Garcia Bernal. That’s what I mean. Their connection, their actual romantic relationship. Not Clark. For some reason I in my head I keep hearing Clark say his name Clark cause of the accent and it like pushed into my head that Clark was Gael. Oops

the reason I felt that way was how Miranda desperately wanted to get back to the states to see him. She says something about seeing “the man I love” or something like that. Her episode seemed to be showing their relationship - which wasn’t a good one, but I felt like I was supposed to feel her love for him and I didn’t really? Am I wrong here? I don’t really know.

I didn't get the feeling it was him. I think she was taking about Arthur. They had plans to go out, but he died and she got stuck abroad.

I didn't get the feeling it was him. I think she was taking about Arthur. They had plans to go out, but he died and she got stuck abroad.
Yeah I’m messing up the character names. I mean I didn’t feel for Miranda and Arthur’s relationship, but I feel I was supposed to.

Edit: I also realize I am getting the character names wrong for some reason. My brain is a mess. I mean Arthur and Miranda, not Clark and Miranda. Arthur is Gael Garcia Bernal. That’s what I mean. Their connection, their actual romantic relationship. Not Clark. For some reason I in my head I keep hearing Clark say his name Clark cause of the accent and it like pushed into my head that Clark was Gael. Oops
Ah yeah just the name mix up. I see where you're coming from with Arthur. They seemed like a kind of weird match, but I guess I was OK assuming there was good stuff in between since we only saw the rocky start and the end with an argument in between. Would have fleshed it out a little more maybe if they showed something that helped convince us they were ever happy together.

Yeah I’m messing up the character names. I mean I didn’t feel for Miranda and Arthur’s relationship, but I feel I was supposed to.
It's strange because we never really get to know Arthur except through others who loved him, and you're right that the love they all have for him never fully makes sense cause we never see him as much more than a selfish actor. So in that sense I agree with you.

Ah yeah just the name mix up. I see where you're coming from with Arthur. They seemed like a kind of weird match, but I guess I was OK assuming there was good stuff in between since we only saw the rocky start and the end with an argument in between. Would have fleshed it out a little more maybe if they showed something that helped convince us they were ever happy together.

It's strange because we never really get to know Arthur except through others who loved him, and you're right that the love they all have for him never fully makes sense cause we never see him as much more than a selfish actor. So in that sense I agree with you.
yes exactly I just feel there wasn’t enough invested in the romantic relationship with Miranda and Arhur but it seems like it’s supposed to be an important angle of the show. However, I read somewhere about although Arthur isn’t in it much, his death winds up setting off a chain of events that many of the other characters benefit from down the line. If didn’t die Jeevan probably wouldn’t have ended up helping Kirsten is probably eh most obvious one. But it’s interesting to think that a sort of absent character winds up being hugely important to what happens after he dies.

Is there something wrong with me that I'm rooting for Roman and Geri?

Also, I'd like to be able to tell people to "Go on, fuck off..." with the freedom that Logan Roy does.
That show does such a good job of getting you to root for a character or two, then yanking that urge away. At various times I've rooted for Kendall, Shiv, Logan...only to pull back an episode or two later.

We are 7 episodes into The Expanse. It's good; we're really liking the storylines and visually it's impressive and pretty fantastic. But the dialog sometimes is so clunky, and other times kind of cliché-ridden. I'll stick with it, there's a lot of love for this show and I can see why. We almost never watch morning TV but Sunday morning we watched three episodes because we're hooked.

We are 7 episodes into The Expanse. It's good; we're really liking the storylines and visually it's impressive and pretty fantastic. But the dialog sometimes is so clunky, and other times kind of cliché-ridden. I'll stick with it, there's a lot of love for this show and I can see why. We almost never watch morning TV but Sunday morning we watched three episodes because we're hooked.
The writing gets better. When it moved to Amazon in season 4 they could spend more money and the production values improved.

Started watching Archive 81 on Netflix last night, and as it's snowing here and I am trying to avoid working all weekend, I'm watching more right now. I need more weird tv in my life and this might scratch that itch.
Yup...I've been watching it and it's delightfully creepy. Evidently, based on a popular podcast. Might have to check that out.

Back