Television

I'm wondering if I want to know or don't want to know what people are talking about.

Was planning to start Chernobyl after I finish Succession.
The show is excellent - seriously some of the best of the year. And I am a bit upset with myself that I will be unable to finish it. It's 5 episodes. You'll get very invested before you get to the yuck in episode 4. And honestly, I'm the only one I know of that hasn't been able to muscle through.

New show called The Weekly is pretty good. It’s a NY Times docu-series, with each episode following different journalists covering different stories every week. The first one just aired. It’s maybe a bit to light on the subject matter. Like it could go more in depth I think. But as a solid piece of short form documentary, it mostly works. And I’m interested to see what other stories will be covered.

The show is excellent - seriously some of the best of the year. And I am a bit upset with myself that I will be unable to finish it. It's 5 episodes. You'll get very invested before you get to the yuck in episode 4. And honestly, I'm the only one I know of that hasn't been able to muscle through.

It's probably a poor take but in the great scheme of things, no dog or cat anywhere on earth that was alive on April 26th 1986 is still alive now so karmic balance is restored. Yes, I am Thanos, thanks for asking.

It's probably a poor take but in the great scheme of things, no dog or cat anywhere on earth that was alive on April 26th 1986 is still alive now so karmic balance is restored. Yes, I am Thanos, thanks for asking.
Yes, but the dogs and cats that were the "actors" in this current series are still alive. What do you have to say for them, Ed? ;) They are innocent!!!! (I fully realize that this take is a bit irrational. But I'm a bit irrational when it comes to pets. See: my house with 3 dogs and 1 cat).

You aren't alone. I can't muscle through almost any traumatic shows, no matter how good.

This is sad but honestly makes complete sense and Everything is Fine.

I actually think this is a good idea. To keep stretching it and stretching it might make it get stale. And I know people have said this about other things before, but I really feel it's a good call here. It'll be a great run of episodes when all is said and done, I'm sure.

This is sad but honestly makes complete sense and Everything is Fine.

I saw that this morning and was sad. But then, I think about all the shows I loved the first one or two seasons of and then abandoned because they turned to shit. (I wish I had abandoned Dexter instead of watching it the whole way through to the worst finale ever of any tv show).

So although sad, and although I'll very much miss Maya Rudolph having the most fun ever on screen, I think this is a good decision. There is so much quality tv on, better to go out when you are on top.

I watched the new Black Mirror episodes. I enjoyed them well enough. But I didn't think any of them was particularly note-worthy. It seems a bit like 3 episodes that fall into the "meh" category.

I watched the new Black Mirror episodes. I enjoyed them well enough. But I didn't think any of them was particularly note-worthy. It seems a bit like 3 episodes that fall into the "meh" category.
I’ve watched the first two. Yeah they’re not like amazing or anything, not super top quality. But I’ve still enjoyed them mostly. The second one was a bit better, just really tense and often surprisingly funny, but the ending was a bit meh. The first one is an interesting premise/idea, but I wasn’t totally wowed by it. Not the best they’ve done, but not the worst really. Going to watch the third one tonight.

I’ve watched the first two. Yeah they’re not like amazing or anything, not super top quality. But I’ve still enjoyed them mostly. The second one was a bit better, just really tense and often surprisingly funny, but the ending was a bit meh. The first one is an interesting premise/idea, but I wasn’t totally wowed by it. Not the best they’ve done, but not the worst really. Going to watch the third one tonight.
As much as I wanted to like the 3rd episode because I root for Miley, I thought it was the weakest of the 3. Let me know your thoughts!

Episode 1 was probably my favorite. Lots of dynamics to think about there.

Episode 2 (Smithereen) was good. The performances were the best of the 3. Andrew Scott has quietly become a superb and underappreciated actor. I really dislike Topher Grace so I guess casting him as the CEO of a social media company was perfect.

I'm embarking on When They See Us today. I expect it to deeply move and disturb me.

Season 5 of Black Mirror was a bit of let-down. Definitely like Striking Vipers the best of the 3. That felt the most like a Black Mirror episode. Smithereen was good for the performances but not really something I'd put in the Black Mirror universe. The only real worrisome tech was the ability to instantly reverse the phone and how fast they had all the info on Andrew Scott's character. And yes, the larger message about people being buried in their phones and the lack of care after the ending resonates but it didn't push the envelope. I didn't mind the Miley episode but it too didn't seem very edgy. I did enjoy the commentary on tech progressing to fully functioning holographic performers. The NIN song twists were enjoyable.

I just finished it yesterday, it's amazing, heartbreaking, frustrating, sad and gorgeous. Great work by Ava DuVernay, Bradford Young and all the cast.
I think 3 in 1 day is enough heartbreak. Episode 4 looks the worse. I'll take a breather.

But whoa. It's really good.

Ep 4 is yeah by far the saddest one. Like I haven’t watched something that’s made me feel that bad in a while. Still though, worth it, just...tough
Yeah, Episode 4 is the roughest to watch, but also probably the best, Jharrel Jerome is awesome in it. I also forgot to mention that the show has a great soundtrack that is totally not as depressing.

As much as I wanted to like the 3rd episode because I root for Miley, I thought it was the weakest of the 3. Let me know your thoughts!

Episode 1 was probably my favorite. Lots of dynamics to think about there.

Episode 2 (Smithereen) was good. The performances were the best of the 3. Andrew Scott has quietly become a superb and underappreciated actor. I really dislike Topher Grace so I guess casting him as the CEO of a social media company was perfect.

I'm embarking on When They See Us today. I expect it to deeply move and disturb me.
Watched the third ep tonight, had mixed feelings. So, when I started this season, I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the episodes. With each one, I didn't read the descriptions, didn't watch the trailers, nothing. So I was surprised by all of them. Ep 3 was the biggest, weirdest surprise. I watched the first half of the episode feeling like 'hey this is pretty great.' Then I paused it for a few minutes to do something, came right back and finished it. Weirdly, after I had paused it, the episode takes a turn becoming a much less serious, more ridiculous over the top story. In a way, I don't have a problem with Black Mirror doing an episode like this. But it was so tonally different than what came before, it just didn't land totally. I like the ideas once again, but it gets a bit too crazy and then it just abruptly ends. Disappointing. I liked that it became a little weirder and fun, but at the same time I wasn't expecting that and so it felt a little jarring. I don't know. Probably the weakest of the three. But now having watched them all, yeah, i don't think I loved any of them. Yet I'm sad it was just three.

Back