Television

New four part series on Netflix, When They See Us is pretty great stuff. It’s a dramatization or the Central Park Five story. If you’re unfamiliar with the case, there’s also a Ken Burns doc about it. Anyway, I’ve just watched the first ep and am definitely into it, despite the case itself being maddening and frustrating. But the acting is great and especially heartbreaking with the kids.

I am loving Chernobyl right now. Very well done. Nuclear disasters and radiation are one of my top (probably irrational) fears and I've read about Chernobyl before, so seeing the disaster visualized so well has been pretty terrifying. Episode 1 filled me with anxiety, lol. But overall very little has been changed or dramatized, it's a very accurate portrayal of the entire event. And really well acted.

For those upset about the dogs, here's some good news for you. They did not successfully destroy all the dogs and there is still a large population of them today. There is an organization that goes in to do spay/neuter and get them their vaccines. Their yearly event happens in two days. If you'd like to contribute to their cause, here is some info about the nonprofit and ways to donate: http://cleanfutures.org/projects/dogs-of-chernobyl/

Currently watching through Hannibal for the first time with my SO. As of right now I think I'm a handful of episodes away from the season 1 finale. I'm liking it a lot, but I have to ask - without giving away too much, does it get any less... "case of the week" esque? Like obviously there's been some threads that have ran through the entire series up until this point, and I can see the overarching plot is getting slightly more attention as the episodes progress. But for the most part, most of the episodes I've seen so far have been "Here's the case, here's them investigating, here's Will helping solve it, now here's a little bit about the overarching plot with Hannibal, Will's mental state, etc." it still does those villain-of-the-week episodes a lot better than most other shows, but I guess I just want to know if that's something I should continue to expect, or if the show grows past that a bit

Currently watching through Hannibal for the first time with my SO. As of right now I think I'm a handful of episodes away from the season 1 finale. I'm liking it a lot, but I have to ask - without giving away too much, does it get any less... "case of the week" esque? Like obviously there's been some threads that have ran through the entire series up until this point, and I can see the overarching plot is getting slightly more attention as the episodes progress. But for the most part, most of the episodes I've seen so far have been "Here's the case, here's them investigating, here's Will helping solve it, now here's a little bit about the overarching plot with Hannibal, Will's mental state, etc." it still does those villain-of-the-week episodes a lot better than most other shows, but I guess I just want to know if that's something I should continue to expect, or if the show grows past that a bit
From what I remember, season 2 ditches the case-of-the-week structure for a more singular story start to finish. And season 3 continues from there, being essentially split with two specific storylines taking the focus. As much as I like season 1, I do think season 2 is where it really takes off.

I'm watching Santa Clarita Diet, season 3. IT IS SO GOOD. The jokes they make are incredible, i almost pee myself with the jokes about harvesting nazis. They're making jokes about lots of topics that I don't see on regular tv shows, and I love it.
And of course Netflix cancelled it.

Finished When They See Us yesterday, and yeah I definitely recommend it. I have some nitpicks here and there, with the third episode being especially oddly and jarringly put together. But episode four...oh man, be prepared. It’s one of the saddest, yet most well put together pieces of tv I’ve seen this year. The bulk of it is just hard to watch, but I’ll refrain from saying why. Point is, this is a good series for people who are either new to or already familiar with the Central Park Five case.

Finished When They See Us yesterday, and yeah I definitely recommend it. I have some nitpicks here and there, with the third episode being especially oddly and jarringly put together. But episode four...oh man, be prepared. It’s one of the saddest, yet most well put together pieces of tv I’ve seen this year. The bulk of it is just hard to watch, but I’ll refrain from saying why. Point is, this is a good series for people who are either new to or already familiar with the Central Park Five case.
This is my next watch. As hard as I hear it is to watch, I also think it is really important. I'm just finishing up When Heroes Fly tonight then will start When They See Us.

This is my next watch. As hard as I hear it is to watch, I also think it is really important. I'm just finishing up When Heroes Fly tonight then will start When They See Us.
It’s a maddening story, but at the very least at least it doesn’t end on a downer note. I mean, all things considered, it’s still a tragic story. But the real world ending could have been a lot worse. I’m trying not to say much cause I don’t know how much people are familiar with what happened in this case.

I feel like this is the kind of show where you really get into the character development.

Absolutely. It's basically Game Of Thrones but set in the modern times with an Entertainment Empire in lieu of an Iron Throne. With better writing and character development.

Pheww. That 4th episode of Chernobyl was extra tough.
I still can't. As soon as they whistled, the power button on my remote has never been smashed as hard as it was at that moment. I was already displeased with the first scene. My displeasure went through the roof with, "they're really friendly, they just run up to you." Nope, no no no no no, hell no, absolutely not, not going to do it, no no no no no.

And an extra NO for good measure.

I still can't. As soon as they whistled, the power button on my remote has never been smashed as hard as it was at that moment. I was already displeased with the first scene. My displeasure went through the roof with, "they're really friendly, they just run up to you." Nope, no no no no no, hell no, absolutely not, not going to do it, no no no no no.

And an extra NO for good measure.
If you turned it off there you missed the worst part. I covered my cats eyes during those scenes

Back