Television

Has anyone watched enough of Sugar to tell me if it's worth continuing past the first episode? I'm almost certain that whatever twist is being telegraphed here (it's definitely telling us there's a twist, if not necessarily what that twist is) will be a letdown. Am I wrong?

Has anyone watched enough of Sugar to tell me if it's worth continuing past the first episode? I'm almost certain that whatever twist is being telegraphed here (it's definitely telling us there's a twist, if not necessarily what that twist is) will be a letdown. Am I wrong?
I was kinda disappointed mainly because they lean way too hard into to “twist”. The twist itself is fine dudes an alien though it really reframes the show and I was enjoying the idea of a modern neo-noir detective show. I think had they just revealed the twist in the first episode or beginning of the second, I would have enjoyed it much more but they don’t fully explain what’s going on until the 6th episode and by then that feels like a bigger mystery than the actual mystery that Sugar is supposed to be solving. I feel like it was teased out in a way to hopefully create Reddit discourse/speculation similar to West World or Lost. It all felt a bit forced.

Overall it’s fine but the best part of the show is the first episode and I was a bit let down overall.

Watch Shogun or Ripley instead.

Last edited:
I was kinda disappointed mainly because they lean way too hard into to “twist”. The twist itself is fine dudes an alien though it really reframes the show and I was enjoying the idea of a modern neo-noir detective show. I think had they just revealed the twist in the first episode or beginning of the second, I would have enjoyed it much more but they don’t fully explain what’s going on until the 6th episode and by then that feels like a bigger mystery than the actual mystery that Sugar is supposed to be solving. I feel like it was teased out in a way to hopefully create Reddit discourse/speculation similar to West World or Lost. It all felt a bit forced.

Overall it’s fine but the best part of the show is the first episode and I was a bit let down overall.

Watch Shogun or Ripley instead.
+1

How you mess up a crime noir set in modern day LA with Colin Ferrell is beside me.

On a similar note, I have given up on The Veil after 3 episodes. Probably would have only done 2 eps before dropping it but Elizabeth Moss gets a bonus watch just in case.

Also, I loved Josh Charles in Sports Centre and a few other things, but he lately has settled into cruise control with “smarmy Ivy League douche bag” roles

On the topic of disappointing television, 3 Body Problem, holy hell this show is an absolute fucking disaster. The dialogue, the acting, the story... what a fucking mess. Weiss and Benioff should not be allowedp near any more adaptations...
I liked it well enough up through the episode where they looney tuned that ship in the Panama Canal (that scene was the high point). After that episode I felt like the show kinda lost momentum and drama. there are a lot of interesting ideas that they barely scratched the surface on. Considering how much money Netflix spent on this show I feel like it should have been better. I watched the season finale and was surprised that the show had ended. I was sure there had to be another episode or two.

On the topic of disappointing television, 3 Body Problem, holy hell this show is an absolute fucking disaster. The dialogue, the acting, the story... what a fucking mess. Weiss and Benioff should not be allowed near any more adaptations...
I just want a cop show with Benedict Wong and Liam Cunningham

On the topic of disappointing television, 3 Body Problem, holy hell this show is an absolute fucking disaster. The dialogue, the acting, the story... what a fucking mess. Weiss and Benioff should not be allowed near any more adaptations...
I liked it, honestly. It’s a bit of a speed run of the plot, but I thought they executed the novel’s core elements pretty well while having to pull off some rather tricky adaptation in the process.

My biggest complaint is that it looks pretty prosaic for something that cost as much as it did.

Back