Television

Haha, part of why I haven't read it is the positive reviews on the second two seem a lot more mixed than the first. Did you not enjoy it?
It took me a while to understand the pace & tone. There's (understandably) a fair amount of Chinese culture/history in it that I didn't have a good foundation in. The hard science parts were tough for me. But once you get to the last quarter or so of the book and the overall picture of what is really happening starts to take shape, it's pretty thrilling/terrifying.

I guess my shorter review would be "tough but rewarding, but more because of the originality of the ideas than because of the writing."

I still haven't read the second two books, but the first one was mind-bending enough that I honestly don't know how you could possibly give a visual representation of some of the concepts that are introduced. Maybe I just didn't understand it well enough, but the best I can do imagine what it would *look* like is three or four hours of someone saying "geeeeeeooooooooommmmmmeeeeeeeeetryyyyyyyyy" in slow motion.

Edit: or "phyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicsssssssssss?" I don't even know man.
With Rian Johnson producing!

Definitely read the books; they're very good. I like the second one especially (though the translations for 1 and 3 are superior). I don't know how an adaptation is going to work though; characters really aren't the focus so much as the concepts and ideas Liu explores, and there are barely any people who even appear in more than one book. I mean, 2001 barely has any characters so I'm sure you could do it, and I kind of hope they do rather than try to inject more personal stakes.
I might be in the minority that liked the third book best. It is wild.
So what you are saying is that I need to put these books on my to read list, right?

So what you are saying is that I need to put these books on my to read list, right?

They are...very strange. There’s a real, immediately apparent cultural difference that makes it feel a bit alien even before it gets truly weird, but eventually you fall into the lull and it goes some very ambitious places.

It reminds me of Foundation in that it is less about characters and more about events.

Last edited:
They are...very strange. There’s a real, immediately apparent cultural difference that makes it feel a bit alien even before it gets truly weird, but eventually you fall into the lull and it goes some very ambitious places.
This is a good description. I struggled for a while to figure out how much of the weirdness was because I was reading something translated from another culture, and how much was because it's capital-w Weird, and it's for sure both.

It reminds me of Foundation in that it is less about characters and more about events.
Just read the wikipedia entry and it sounds wild! @Indymisanthrope's comment on some of the Chinese culture/history being lost on him is something I found with Bong Joon-ho's Parasite. I love the film and have watched it a few times. I then stumbled across an article which basically laid out all of the bits which would only be apparent to Korean's and a whole other layer was added to my understanding of the film as a result, it was fantastic.

RIP Venture Bros. I remember catching the first episode out of nowhere in 2003. New seasons haven't been frequent, but they've been constant. Just a well-written, well-animated show. I hope they get the chance to wrap things up properly.
One of my all time fav’s. Hopefully one of the streaming services will pick it up. As long as Doc Hammer wants to make it I am completely on board. Such a wonderfully built world.

RIP Venture Bros. I remember catching the first episode out of nowhere in 2003. New seasons haven't been frequent, but they've been constant. Just a well-written, well-animated show. I hope they get the chance to wrap things up properly.
One of my all time fav’s. Hopefully one of the streaming services will pick it up. As long as Doc Hammer wants to make it I am completely on board. Such a wonderfully built world.
It always seemed like they had carte blanche to do what they wanted, when they wanted. What an about face to go from allowing an average of 5 episodes a year for 17 years (and just 28 episodes in this entire decade) to not even letting them finish the season they had already started working on.

Fresh Prince is getting a reboot.

Peacock just ordered 2 seasons. From what I understand Will Smith will be back.
And it's a drama 😮
I didn't realize there was all this drama with Aunt Viv: Here's why the original Aunt Viv wasn't one bit happy about the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air group photo
and

Back