Technical Difficulties Thread

Maybe I’m just having a case of the Mondays and need something to be mad about. Decided to give my Creepin on ah Come Up pressing a spin and noticed after the last song on Side B there’s this pretty audible scratching noice that never stood out to me before. I started thinking though and this isn’t the first time I’ve noticed there being like a crackling/scratching noise in deadwax. Is that kind of noise more common then I think and do people just kinda deal with it? I mean it’s not really affecting the song but I’m not gonna act like it’s not jarring when you expect the song to just fade out quietly. This turntable is also my first turntable (LP120, stock everything), so I haven't had that much experience with other cartridges that might make a difference when it comes to amplifying/reducing noise. Would love to hear all of your thoughts!

Last edited:
I've had mild hum in my system for some time that I've just lived with. I've checked it out now and pretty sure it's a ground loop that appears to be coming from the cable between my Quad 405-2 amplifier and my Quad pre-amp. I inherited this from my Dad and while I've switched out speaker cables, power supply etc etc I haven't changed this cable. What can I do to eliminate the buzz? Buy a new cable? Or something else?

The first thing to try is just to disconnect the cable and see if it goes away.
Thanks. I had tried that. What I've done is take it out of an extension cable and plug it directly into the mains. That, and some cable unwinding, appears to have quite a big effect, amazingly.

Maybe I’m just having a case of the Mondays and need something to be mad about. Decided to give my Creepin on ah Come Up pressing a spin and noticed after the last song on Side B there’s this pretty audible scratching noice that never stood out to me before. I started thinking though and this isn’t the first time I’ve noticed there being like a crackling/scratching noise in deadwax. Is that kind of noise more common then I think and do people just kinda deal with it? I mean it’s not really affecting the song but I’m not gonna act like it’s not jarring when you expect the song to just fade out quietly. This turntable is also my first turntable (LP120, stock everything), so I haven't had that much experience with other cartridges that might make a difference when it comes to amplifying/reducing noise. Would love to hear all of your thoughts!

A lot of times it's just the etching/scratched in/stamped information in the dead wax causing the noise, does it happen on every album?

A lot of times it's just the etching/scratched in/stamped information in the dead wax causing the noise, does it happen on every album?
No, it doesn't. Maybe a handful out of the 250 or so that I have in my collection. I think I was just more thrown off because of how infrequently it happens. Wasn't sure if it was necessarily a bad thing because I'm just not used to hearing a scratching noise like that, especially on the deadwax (usually it's just a few pops or so). I do know the quality of modern vinyl pressings are hit or miss so it doesn't really surprise me, but it's still something I haven't encountered all that frequently and wasn't sure if I'm just being super OCD over something that doesn't really matter haha

View attachment 97458
So after taking it all apart my motor turns by itself however it doesn't turn when I put this (yellow arrow) piece back. I believe that's the bearing and therefore the issue is probably lube.... Do you think I'm on the right track?

View attachment 97459

Can anyone recommend lube to use and how much?

Heck yeah!! I'm back and running :D

It was lube. I ordered the correct Dual Lubes and also touched up a few other aspects while I was in there. It's running better than ever.

If anyone needs advice for a dual I feel like I know this turntable inside out. Let me know! If you need the necessary lube (2) and (5) I've got plenty now!

Just a few notes on the KAB Tonearm Damper that I kind of tripped over helping someone. So my cousin-in-law added one to his turntable about a week ago and seemed to start getting skipping on his albums as they got closer to the inner groove/spindle. A little odd and honestly I really didn't think it would be associated with the KAB.

After a bit of back and forth I headed over and found a couple of things to pass on to those who have one or are thinking of getting one. First, make sure the "trey" is seated all the way down as far as it will go, second, the paddle should go as far towards the platter as possible.

So apparently these were the issues with his, when I loosened the trey it had some give to move down, and the paddle was slightly rubbing the trey wall when moving across the vinyl. I'm sure it was a combination of both things causing the issue, once re-installed, the skips were gone.

One other thing of note, the anti-skate is much more accurate with the KAB installed, at least on the PLX, I would usually have to run at 2x whatever the tracking force was, now it seems right on the money.

Anyway, just sharing in hopes of relieving any future headaches for anyone :)

Hi all - So I have an SL-D2 and got an at-vm95ml a couple weeks ago. Over the past week I've been thinking the cantilever looks a little off center, but then maybe it's just the angle I look at it. Haven't head anything bad when playing, loving the urgrade. But now not it definitely seems like, see pics, that it is slightly leaning towards the outer grooves side. FYI - I got one preloaded to the headshell, and very slightly adjusted it based on eyeballing with the technics overhang gauge.

I feel pretty good about my tracking force setup, running at 2grams or just under, using a manual shure gauge, and there hasn't been any damage that could have happened I'm aware of. What's worrying, is I had replaced a 95e that had the same lean, but even stronger, that I thought had been damaged during recent move. So now it seems something in my setup is causing this. :(

Could a faulty anti-skate on the turntable cause this? I did the blank vinyl check some on the internet at large have mentioned, and even with the anti skate cranked up to 3, it will still pull to the center. It is less than if no anti-skate is set, but not by a ton. Usually I have it set around 2.

Should I crack this this open and check the spring? Would anti skate cause this lean that quickly? Is there something else that is possible? Again, I'm not hearing anything off, things sound generally very good. But it doesn't seem ideal.

Any thoughts? Help me not kill my records!
View attachment 99595
View attachment 99590View attachment 99592View attachment 99593
That stylus is obviously not right. But doesn't mean it wont sound good or that you cant use it. You need a loupe or microscope to get a better view. If the diamond is aligned correctly and points straight down then you can align to the cantilever. We cant tell that from these photos. Because the MR tip has such precise facets you really want it to interface correctly with the groove.

If you're handy with tiny things, you can remove the stylus assembly from the finger grip by loosening the very tiny screw that holds it in, and try to reset it. I dont recommend that unless you're good with tiny things and willing to destroy the stylus in the pursuit of possibly fixing it. Better would be to return it for a good one. QC on the VM95 series is not perfect.

If you decided to keep it then find a way to view under magnification to verify the actual tip is set correctly then align to the cantilever. You'll be making lemonade but on a hot day lemonade can be great.

A properly working MR tip has absolutely zero sibilance, even on the hottest tracks even at the end of a record. It should sound smooth and "perfect" on every track of every record all the time with no drama ever. The image should be very wide with lots of separation including at high frequencies. (that tambourine should come from WAY over to the left side, etc.) It should sound "clean" much like digital and if it doesn't then its defective.

I had a Jico SAS that sounded perfect for about 400 hours then suddenly became very distorted in the left channel, likely a wing broke off. Its a very tiny sliver of diamond that contacts the groove. Its kind of all or nothing with the MR tips.

Hope that helps.
Pat

That stylus is obviously not right. But doesn't mean it wont sound good or that you cant use it. You need a loupe or microscope to get a better view. If the diamond is aligned correctly and points straight down then you can align to the cantilever. We cant tell that from these photos. Because the MR tip has such precise facets you really want it to interface correctly with the groove.

If you're handy with tiny things, you can remove the stylus assembly from the finger grip by loosening the very tiny screw that holds it in, and try to reset it. I dont recommend that unless you're good with tiny things and willing to destroy the stylus in the pursuit of possibly fixing it. Better would be to return it for a good one. QC on the VM95 series is not perfect.

If you decided to keep it then find a way to view under magnification to verify the actual tip is set correctly then align to the cantilever. You'll be making lemonade but on a hot day lemonade can be great.

A properly working MR tip has absolutely zero sibilance, even on the hottest tracks even at the end of a record. It should sound smooth and "perfect" on every track of every record all the time with no drama ever. The image should be very wide with lots of separation including at high frequencies. (that tambourine should come from WAY over to the left side, etc.) It should sound "clean" much like digital and if it doesn't then its defective.

I had a Jico SAS that sounded perfect for about 400 hours then suddenly became very distorted in the left channel, likely a wing broke off. Its a very tiny sliver of diamond that contacts the groove. Its kind of all or nothing with the MR tips.

Hope that helps.
Pat
Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually took it in to someone local to have a look recently and they said overall the table is in good shape, and yes there is some lean on the cantilever, but if it sounding good, then it perhaps isn't the end of the world. I actually am gonna get a Loupe and check it out up close, good excuse to pick one up anyways.

I've listened to lots of things trying to judge, and when I put on a good pressing like a recent Blue Note reissue or some of the Acoustic Sounds pressings, it sounds absolutely wonderful. So..I dunno! I'm trusting my ears on my modest system right now.

Recently my Debut Carbon has been driving me mental to the point of not wanting to play records at all. This used to happen occasionally but now happens all the time.

As heard in the video, sometimes it just stops spinning at the appropriate speed and slows waaaaay down, even to the point of basically stopping altogether. I optimistically replaced the belt but it was, of course, not the culprit. I've seen some similar complaints on other forums but no real solution. I'm guessing it's a motor issue and I'll need to bring it in at some point. Any ideas?

Recently my Debut Carbon has been driving me mental to the point of not wanting to play records at all. This used to happen occasionally but now happens all the time.

As heard in the video, sometimes it just stops spinning at the appropriate speed and slows waaaaay down, even to the point of basically stopping altogether. I optimistically replaced the belt but it was, of course, not the culprit. I've seen some similar complaints on other forums but no real solution. I'm guessing it's a motor issue and I'll need to bring it in at some point. Any ideas?

Sounds like it’s a motor issue and that it will need replacing I’m afraid!

not long after I bought my TT, I had a similar issue. Not to the point that it almost stopped working, but slowing significantly. I fixed it by applying lube (WD-40). Have you tried that?

not long after I bought my TT, I had a similar issue. Not to the point that it almost stopped working, but slowing significantly. I fixed it by applying lube (WD-40). Have you tried that?
I haven't yet, as I wasn't totally sure which lubricant to get that's okay to use on this. I've also read about sewing machine lube. Where did you put it, just a couple drops down the spindle hole beneath the subplatter? I'll try to grab some this weekend. When you were having the issue, did yours ever run properly? Last night I got through two full sides without issue and then it popped up again.

I haven't yet, as I wasn't totally sure which lubricant to get that's okay to use on this. I've also read about sewing machine lube. Where did you put it, just a couple drops down the spindle hole beneath the subplatter? I'll try to grab some this weekend. When you were having the issue, did yours ever run properly? Last night I got through two full sides without issue and then it popped up again.
Yeah as you said. It ran properly for a few weeks after getting it, then noticed it was slowing down, but not all the time. Hope it will fix it.

I don't have that turntable but I had similar symptoms with my dual...

It ended up being lube so I would recommend trying that as well. They should tell you what lube in the maintenance manual. It's sort of important to have the right one or similar.

I don't have that turntable but I had similar symptoms with my dual...

It ended up being lube so I would recommend trying that as well. They should tell you what lube in the maintenance manual. It's sort of important to have the right one or similar.
Oh, yes, I don't have that TT as well. I bought mine from Music Direct (open box) and when I called them about it they suggested to try lube first (they said WD-40).

I posted this over in the VPI thread, but I'll repost it here. I have an email into VPI to see what they think.

I think I'm gonna have to take this out of commission. The 50/50 reverse start was annoying, but really didn't have any effect on listening.

Now it wants to randomly stop - or stop and start --- again, maybe in reverse.

I think a whole new motor housing will be needed.

There is sound on the video, as you can hear some noise other than the motor kicking in.

I have hooked up my backup Technics 3300 for now...

20210626_134749 (2).jpg

Okay so, question. On the occasions that I happen to get fuzz or crackle on an album, it's almost always coming through the left channel. In most cases, a second copy of the same vinyl either eliminates or changes where the fuzz may show up, but it still shows up left channel if the noise remains on a second copy. Anti skate doesn't affect it either way. So IF it's a very slight azimuth adjustment to perhaps move the stylus off the left channel groove wall, am I turning the tone arm towards the CENTRE of the album, or away from it? I always get this mixed up...
This is my issue right now, been dealing with this for feels like a year now through my normal 2M Blue and now a 2M Blue Shibata Tipped, the guy at my local hi-fi dealer said that my Azimuth is off a couple degrees but the Fluance head shell doesnt support azimuth adjustments. My speaker upgrade feels like it shined a spotlight on this actually being a stylus issue, was only noticeable on some pressings but I just put on 4 records today and every single one of them had some left channel bleed that made the vocals sound tinny, harsh, and grating. Like hair pulling frustrating to where I just swing the volume knob as low as it can goes cause it makes me want to blow a gasket, of course its the type of audible defect my iPhone speaker can't really pick up so its hard to pinpoint. But can an azimuth adjustment make all the difference here, and are there any cheap headshells that support VTA I can grab?

Back