Technical Difficulties Thread

This is my issue right now, been dealing with this for feels like a year now through my normal 2M Blue and now a 2M Blue Shibata Tipped, the guy at my local hi-fi dealer said that my Azimuth is off a couple degrees but the Fluance head shell doesnt support azimuth adjustments. My speaker upgrade feels like it shined a spotlight on this actually being a stylus issue, was only noticeable on some pressings but I just put on 4 records today and every single one of them had some left channel bleed that made the vocals sound tinny, harsh, and grating. Like hair pulling frustrating to where I just swing the volume knob as low as it can goes cause it makes me want to blow a gasket, of course its the type of audible defect my iPhone speaker can't really pick up so its hard to pinpoint. But can an azimuth adjustment make all the difference here, and are there any cheap headshells that support VTA I can grab?
The Fluance arm doesn’t have adjustable VTA. VTA (Vertical tracking angle) is adjusted by raising or lowering the arm. What you are really adjusting here is SRA (stylus rake angle). The idea is the have the stylus at 92 degrees to the playing surface. This duplicates the angle of the cutting stylus that made the lacquer. You can adjust this with a fixed arm with a combination of cartridge shims and/or thicker or thinner platter mats.

Azimuth is the left/right tilt of the stylus when viewed from the front. You want no tilt at all. You want the stylus to be straight up and down. Here is a headshell with adjustable azimuth:

This is my issue right now, been dealing with this for feels like a year now through my normal 2M Blue and now a 2M Blue Shibata Tipped, the guy at my local hi-fi dealer said that my Azimuth is off a couple degrees but the Fluance head shell doesnt support azimuth adjustments. My speaker upgrade feels like it shined a spotlight on this actually being a stylus issue, was only noticeable on some pressings but I just put on 4 records today and every single one of them had some left channel bleed that made the vocals sound tinny, harsh, and grating. Like hair pulling frustrating to where I just swing the volume knob as low as it can goes cause it makes me want to blow a gasket, of course its the type of audible defect my iPhone speaker can't really pick up so its hard to pinpoint. But can an azimuth adjustment make all the difference here, and are there any cheap headshells that support VTA I can grab?

The Fluance arm doesn’t have adjustable VTA. VTA (Vertical tracking angle) is adjusted by raising or lowering the arm. What you are really adjusting here is SRA (stylus rake angle). The idea is the have the stylus at 92 degrees to the playing surface. This duplicates the angle of the cutting stylus that made the lacquer. You can adjust this with a fixed arm with a combination of cartridge shims and/or thicker or thinner platter mats.

Azimuth is the left/right tilt of the stylus when viewed from the front. You want no tilt at all. You want the stylus to be straight up and down. Here is a headshell with adjustable azimuth:

@Ghost You may want to see of there is someone locally that could do a pro setup for you on the Fluance/new cart you choose. And as I mentioned in the Linton thread a table upgrade might be something to think about as we all have gone through this when upgrading our systems at one point or another. A new system will bring out the flaws in the weakest links.

I just got the Marantz CD6007 CD player and set it up but there’s no display. On the (digital) manual it says the display is at the highest setting out the box and you can adjust/turn off the display with the dimmer button on the remote. But when I press it a few times, it will show a red light next to “display off”.
I also tried playing a YouTube video on my iPhone and a track on my iPod through the USB but nothing happened. They started charging but never played through the CD player.
It plays a CD just fine but it’s like none of the other stuff works.
Anyone have a suggestions?

I just got the Marantz CD6007 CD player and set it up but there’s no display. On the (digital) manual it says the display is at the highest setting out the box and you can adjust/turn off the display with the dimmer button on the remote. But when I press it a few times, it will show a red light next to “display off”.
I also tried playing a YouTube video on my iPhone and a track on my iPod through the USB but nothing happened. They started charging but never played through the CD player.
It plays a CD just fine but it’s like none of the other stuff works.
Anyone have a suggestions?

Sounds like there’s an issue with the display or the connections to it. I’d be looking for swap for a new unit if I’d bought it from a shop.

Im setting up my Panamax mr4300 and was wondering what bank to plug in my turntable /preamp/ amp/ Nintendo switch /roku

what things are high current outlets (bank 2) and what are linear filtration (bank 1)?

thanks

Im setting up my Panamax mr4300 and was wondering what bank to plug in my turntable /preamp/ amp/ Nintendo switch /roku

what things are high current outlets (bank 2) and what are linear filtration (bank 1)?

thanks

High output is for things like integrated/power amps or power speakers or tv sound bars/bases. These have a higher draw and can be constricted by the filtration. Everything else benefits from being filtered.

High output is for things like integrated/power amps or power speakers or tv sound bars/bases. These have a higher draw and can be constricted by the filtration. Everything else benefits from being filtered.
Ugh now I’m getting a hum through preamp to table…pretty sure it’s the ground

should I just ground table to the Panamax?

Ugh now I’m getting a hum through preamp to table…pretty sure it’s the ground

should I just ground table to the Panamax?
So def a hum because of preamp (pho)…any suggestions on how to remedy this annoying cicada sound 😂

edit..helps when I connect ground from tt to Panamax

Last edited:
Have you tried grounding the table to somewhere else (such as the amplifier)?
Yeah i hooked it up ground to Panamax and it’s quieter, but not silent (granted I have my speaker columns up to mid 60s to hear it better )
Usually i like to keep volume anywhere from 45-60 and it gets a lil louder high 50s

Yeah i hooked it up ground to Panamax and it’s quieter, but not silent (granted I have my speaker columns up to mid 60s to hear it better )
Usually i like to keep volume anywhere from 45-60 and it gets a lil louder high 50s
It got better when ground went to receiver, but still not dead quiet

It got better when ground went to receiver, but still not dead quiet
I think this happened with my Panamax but can’t remember how I fixed it. I think maybe I grounded the preamp to the amp and the TT to the Panamax? Will try to look tomorrow!

I think this happened with my Panamax but can’t remember how I fixed it. I think maybe I grounded the preamp to the amp and the TT to the Panamax? Will try to look tomorrow!
Also…do you guys power down your Panamax every night or just the individual things plugged into nightly and leave pana on?

Also…do you guys power down your Panamax every night or just the individual things plugged into nightly and leave pana on?
Did ya ever solve the hum? It seems I have my TT grounded to the preamp and that’s it. Thought I had something else going on but that may have been on my older set up.

you should leave your Panamax on every night so it can protect the devices as far as I know. I power down the devices attached to it. A few weeks back when it was extremely hot, there was a brown out here and the Panamax cut off power to the devices attached to it to protect them.

Back