Technical Difficulties Thread

Lets try this again, shall we:

Say you buy a component for your setup which requires being connected by a ground cable (and power cable) and the only ground connectors you have are on the turntable and preamp which are in use. Can you connect more than one ground to one connector or do you need to add something else to do that?

Say you buy a component for your setup which requires being connected by a ground cable (and power cable) and the only ground connectors you have are on the turntable and preamp which are in use. Can you connect more than one ground to one connector or do you need to add something else to do that?
It should be fine to chain multiple grounds together like that. That said, if two components aren't normally connected together, I'm not sure you want to ground them together. You can also look for any screw on the component you plan to connect this to and use it as a ground connector.
The best I can say is try it with the volume down low and listen for a 50Hz hum. I don't think you'll break anything.

As @apholden says, should be fine. You’re just looking to provide the current a route to ground. Whether it’s a shared path should not matter.

In fact, I have read that in typical topologies you want a single point to ground.

It should be fine to chain multiple grounds together like that. That said, if two components aren't normally connected together, I'm not sure you want to ground them together. You can also look for any screw on the component you plan to connect this to and use it as a ground connector.
The best I can say is try it with the volume down low and listen for a 50Hz hum. I don't think you'll break anything.

As @apholden says, should be fine. You’re just looking to provide the current a route to ground. Whether it’s a shared path should not matter.

In fact, I have read that in typical topologies you want a single point to ground.
This is the component i was talking about. It's still in the consideration stage (because of the price tag) but i was curious to know how to connect it.

This is the component i was talking about. It's still in the consideration stage (because of the price tag) but i was curious to know how to connect it.

It’s basically an automated Zerostat. It can be installed outside your equipment chain.

Go ahead and ground that with your turntable and pre-amp. In fact, now that I know what you're thinking of, that's probably the right ground to use. I was worried you had a weird CD player or something and had visions of a crazy ground loop!

Go ahead and ground that with your turntable and pre-amp. In fact, now that I know what you're thinking of, that's probably the right ground to use. I was worried you had a weird CD player or something and had visions of a crazy ground loop!
So it wouldn't matter wether it was connected to the turntable or preamp ground connector? Either one would be good?

Not sure where to put this but since I couldn’t find an “I’m an idiot” thread here is as good as anywhere.

Spent most of the morning wondering why everything sounded off. Assumed I was just having one of those days where it just wasn’t satisfying. Went to shut down and saw this: F864103A-DF31-4E79-ABD8-B1E7CDAAA7F2.jpeg
Such a moron. I listened to a Mono album late yesterday. I always tell myself not to forget. And I ALWAYS forget.

Not sure where to put this but since I couldn’t find an “I’m an idiot” thread here is as good as anywhere.

Spent most of the morning wondering why everything sounded off. Assumed I was just having one of those days where it just wasn’t satisfying. Went to shut down and saw this: View attachment 136450
Such a moron. I listened to a Mono album late yesterday. I always tell myself not to forget. And I ALWAYS forget.
I wish I had a mono switch that doesn't
involve me adding something else to my chain.

Spent most of the morning wondering why everything sounded off. Assumed I was just having one of those days where it just wasn’t satisfying. Went to shut down and saw this: View attachment 136450
Welcome to the geezer club Slim! 😊

Why not "try" the box from the guy on the Hoffman board ? Aesthetic ? (hide it), expensive shipping to YYZ ? or just want to avoid another link of wire?
Yeah I just don't want more links in the chain. If I could keep it entirely separate I'd try it. But not really any viable way to do that. It's kinda annoying that my Arcam can't do something as simple as mono.

Why not "try" the box from the guy on the Hoffman board ? Aesthetic ? (hide it), expensive shipping to YYZ ? or just want to avoid another link of wire?
My phone has a mono switch. But for shits and giggles I made a mono back last year. Basic soldering skills needed. Chose my own box (very small) and completed it in about 30 minutes. All parts form radio shack for maybe $20. I don't use it but an easy project (does not solve @Mather chain issue).

You're not alone, I did that all the time when I had an MP-7 with a mono switch on the back.

Back