Technical Difficulties Thread

MikeH

Thought it might be good to have a catch-all thread for issues people may be having with Turntables/Amps/Cartridges/Speakers, etc...I've seen a few questions in the upgrade thread instead since they didn't really fit anywhere. I guess I'll start it off with some audio issues of my own.

I've had some issues recently with my speakers having a little bit of a hiss...the sound does not go up when I turn the volume up. It's not super noticeable, but if I am close up to them I can definitely hear it. Sounds more like a breeze/static than a feedback kind of hum...

I bought a panamax (which I was going to do anyway) but the hiss is still present. Others on here thought it might be a ground loop hum...but not entirely sure how to fix it. I live in an old, pre-war apartment building with bad electricity. We only have two circuits in our apartment, lights, fridge and most outlets are on one, and there's one dedicated outlet for AC...my question is, does anybody know how to fix this? My gear is the following:

TT: Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD-150 w/ Ortofon Bronze cart
Amp: Rotel RA-1570
Pre-Amp: Musical Fidelity - LX-LPS
Computer plugged in via USB using the Rotel internal DAC
Speaker Cables: Zu Audio Libtec
Speakers: KEF R300s.

The TT ground wire is attached to the preamp's grounding post. Any thoughts? Is it just something I might be stuck with for now in my current living set up?

Thought it might be good to have a catch-all thread for issues people may be having with Turntables/Amps/Cartridges/Speakers, etc...I've seen a few questions in the upgrade thread instead since they didn't really fit anywhere. I guess I'll start it off with some audio issues of my own.

I've had some issues recently with my speakers having a little bit of a hiss...the sound does not go up when I turn the volume up. It's not super noticeable, but if I am close up to them I can definitely hear it. Sounds more like a breeze/static than a feedback kind of hum...

I bought a panamax (which I was going to do anyway) but the hiss is still present. Others on here thought it might be a ground loop hum...but not entirely sure how to fix it. I live in an old, pre-war apartment building with bad electricity. We only have two circuits in our apartment, lights, fridge and most outlets are on one, and there's one dedicated outlet for AC...my question is, does anybody know how to fix this? My gear is the following:

TT: Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD-150 w/ Ortofon Bronze cart
Amp: Rotel RA-1570
Pre-Amp: Musical Fidelity - LX-LPS
Computer plugged in via USB using the Rotel internal DAC
Speaker Cables: Zu Audio Libtec
Speakers: KEF R300s.

The TT ground wire is attached to the preamp's grounding post. Any thoughts? Is it just something I might be stuck with for now in my current living set up?

This isn’t a ground loop. That would be a hum.

I’m thinking the cause is multi faceted;

Possible garbage being fed back into the AC like from the refrigerator.

Do you possibly have any dimmer switches in use? Turn them off. Is your system quieter? Dimmer switches suck.

Is the hiss from all sources or just your turntable? If it’s just your turntable then it may be caused by your cartridge. The Ortofon 2m series has a really high output- like 7-8mV. Something not so “hot” may help.

If you can’t hear it from your listening chair, don’t stress over it.

This isn’t a ground loop. That would be a hum.

I’m thinking the cause is multi faceted;

Possible garbage being fed back into the AC like from the refrigerator.

Do you possibly have any dimmer switches in use? Turn them off. Is your system quieter? Dimmer switches suck.

Is the hiss from all sources or just your turntable? If it’s just your turntable then it may be caused by your cartridge. The Ortofon 2m series has a really high output- like 7-8mV. Something not so “hot” may help.

If you can’t hear it from your listening chair, don’t stress over it.
Appreciate the response. No dimmer switches in our apartment. I'm guessing something like the fridge is the culprit. The hum happens on any input, regardless of whether or not a signal is going through it.

If the fridge is the culprit, is there any solve to it that I can do on my end that won't break the bank? It's one of those things that bothers me now that I have heard it, but it's not super noticeable when music is playing...

Appreciate the response. No dimmer switches in our apartment. I'm guessing something like the fridge is the culprit. The hum happens on any input, regardless of whether or not a signal is going through it.

If the fridge is the culprit, is there any solve to it that I can do on my end that won't break the bank? It's one of those things that bothers me now that I have heard it, but it's not super noticeable when music is playing...

Do you have 3 prong plugs in your apartment? A cheater plug may work.

Do you have 3 prong plugs in your apartment? A cheater plug may work.
Yes we do have 3 pronged outlets, although I did notice that not all outlets actually have grounds...I plugged my Panamax into one and it said the outlet wasn't actually grounded despite the outlet having 3 prongs. I plugged it into another outlet though and that one is grounded.

I did see something about cheater plugs in my research, but then also read that they are not particularly safe.

I’m having some issues with this stylus all of a sudden. Ortofon concord 20. Won’t track whatsoever and just slides across the record. This came out of no where but when I looked at the stylus it didn’t look right but I’m not sure what could have happened. Before I mess with the tone arm I wanted to get y’all a opinion on this. 5C869B1C-7CFD-42B9-8D37-921E112CBB6E.jpeg

Here is a close up. Sorry it’s a bit blurry but it’s the best I could do. View attachment 45194

I can’t tell how the stylus looks from these pictures. Have you used a liquid stylus cleaner by chance? Ortofon expressly forbids this. I’ve seen this cause the diamond to fall off of the cantilever. This causes the exact problem you describe.

I can’t tell how the stylus looks from these pictures. Have you used a liquid stylus cleaner by chance? Ortofon expressly forbids this. I’ve seen this cause the diamond to fall off of the cantilever. This causes the exact problem you describe.

No I haven’t used that but that still may have happened somehow. I assume the stylus is toast if that’s the case. I adjusted the tone arm a bit but it made no difference whatsoever.

Dang not great news but it is at least 35 years old so i guess it was bound to happen. I appreciate the help. I guess the question now is do I try and find a replacement stylus or just get A new car altogether . Any suggestions?

A stylus is far cheaper than a new car. :)

Here is a genuine Ortofon stylus. Don’t skimp on quality and get a generic replacement.

Haha yeah that is definitely cheaper than a new car! I meant cartridge, autocorrect betrayed me. I saw that one, but $200 is a bit more than i want to spend, so I may just try and get something new altogether. I am sure there is a recommendation thread for those around here somewhere.

Haha yeah that is definitely cheaper than a new car! I meant cartridge, autocorrect betrayed me. I saw that one, but $200 is a bit more than i want to spend, so I may just try and get something new altogether. I am sure there is a recommendation thread for those around here somewhere.
Yeah, I've seen a few cartridge recommendations around these parts...

Look at the choices: the OM10 stylus fits for $62.

Dang not great news but it is at least 35 years old so i guess it was bound to happen. I appreciate the help. I guess the question now is do I try and find a replacement stylus or just get A new car altogether . Any suggestions?

If you order from the UK you can get it for £130 (approx $160) including delivery if that makes it more appealing. As a US customer you don’t pay VAT so they take that off in the cart when you choose US as the shipping destination.

If you order from the UK you can get it for £130 (approx $160) including delivery if that makes it more appealing. As a US customer you don’t pay VAT so they take that off in the cart when you choose US as the shipping destination.

Oh thanks! This is a bit more in the price range of what i was looking for. How does this stylus compare to the Grado Gold 2 or Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML, which I see recommended quite a bit and are in that same price range?

Oh thanks! This is a bit more in the price range of what i was looking for. How does this stylus compare to the Grado Gold 2 or Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML, which I see recommended quite a bit and are in that same price range?

You’ll end up paying a lot more for the Grado because you’ll need the full cartridge rather than the stylus. The current one Gold3 is about $260 delivered.

The OM20 is the equivalent to the blue in the newer ort 2M series. I much prefer my Gold2 to the blue I had before and the 3 is meant to be better again!

I don’t know with the AT sorry.

The OM20 is the equivalent to the blue in the newer ort 2M series.

If this is the case then replacement is probably the way to go since everything is already set up for that stylus/cartridge, I don't have to worry about trying to figure out how to reset everything up for a new cartridge.

Edit
Is this not the full cartridge and stylus? I am sure I am missing something.

Back