September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 2: “Road To Nowhere”

I was starting to panic because I couldn’t find anything in me stack that related to today’s theme. Fortunately a fresh delivery arrived just a few hours ago that saved the day! I’m not ashamed to admit that I was not a fan of this album when it was released and didn’t really come appreciate it until a few years ago.

R.E.M.-AUTOMATIC For The People

DRIVE

Smack, crack, bushwhacked
Tie another one to the racks, baby
Hey kids, rock and roll
Nobody tells you where to go, baby
What if I ride, what if you walk?
What if you rock around the clock?
Tick-tock, tick-tock
What if you did, what if you walk?
What if you tried to get off, baby?
Oh-oh
Hey, kids, where are you?
Nobody tells you what to do, baby
Oh-oh
Hey kids, shake a leg
Maybe you're crazy in the head, baby
Oh-oh
Maybe you did, maybe you walked
Maybe you rocked around the clock
Tick-tock, tick-tock
Maybe I ride, maybe you walk
Maybe I drive to get off, baby
Oh-oh
Hey kids, shake a leg
Maybe you're crazy in the head, baby
Ollie, Ollie, Ollie, Ollie, Ollie
Ollie, Ollie in come free, baby
Hey, kids, where are you?
Smack, crack, shack-a-lack
Tie another one to your backs, baby
Oh-oh
Hey kids, rock and roll
Maybe you did, maybe you walk
Maybe you rock around the clock
Tick-tock, tick-tock
Maybe I ride, maybe you walk
Maybe I drive to get off, baby
Hey kids, where are you?
Hey kids, rock and roll
Go, baby
Baby

View attachment 110905

I remember when this came out and all the reviewers said this would have zero hits - I guess everyone was expecting another Out Of Time (is that why you didn't like it? - it was so different than what they did before).

Yeah, we aren’t too judgy. There’ve been times folks have posted a photo of an album streaming and even that works. It’s more about the music than the media.

Though we are still waiting for our first 8-Track or reel-2-reel post (or at least I am).
Good to know, because my 30 year CD collection is still bigger than my 6 year LP collection!

Day 2 - Road to Nowhere

For some reason, I think about how many transportation metaphors there are on this album a lot - “Little Red Corvette,” of course, but also “Delirious,” “Lady Cab Driver,” and “International Lover.” Frankly I wouldn't be surprised to find at least one in every song if I looked hard. I suppose it's a natural enough comparison but now that I think about it, getting hung up on transportation infrastructure is a very Talking Heads thing to do.

Prince - 1999

_MG_0901.JPG

I remember when this came out and all the reviewers said this would have zero hits - I guess everyone was expecting another Out Of Time (is that why you didn't like it? - it was so different than what they did before).

I had a bad habit back then in not exploring certain albums due to being overloaded by the singles either from the radio or MTV. MTV played Drive, Man On The Moon, & Everybody Hurts so much that by the time I heard Nightswimming, I wasn’t interested.
Of those songs, I didn’t really care for Drive. Also at that point my interest in the band might have been waning.
And while I did enjoy Out Of Time, my wheelhouse is Murmur-Green.
About 4 years ago my wife @VegasJaneite and pal @girlnevergoesout attempted to rank their albums and I didn’t have Automatic or Monster in my top 10. I’ve gone back to Automatic many times since and have realized that it is a fine album and the non singles are probably the better songs, except Nightswimming.

I had a bad habit back then in not exploring certain albums due to being overloaded by the singles either from the radio or MTV. MTV played Drive, Man On The Moon, & Everybody Hurts so much that by the time I heard Nightswimming, I wasn’t interested.
Of those songs, I didn’t really care for Drive. Also at that point my interest in the band might have been waning.
And while I did enjoy Out Of Time, my wheelhouse is Murmur-Green.
About 4 years ago my wife @VegasJaneite and pal @girlnevergoesout attempted to rank their albums and I didn’t have Automatic or Monster in my top 10. I’ve gone back to Automatic many times since and have realized that it is a fine album and the non singles are probably the better songs, except Nightswimming.
Find the River was a single too

Day 3 - “Burning Down The House”
Some things sure can sweep me off my feet.
Play an album that is “hot” at your house right now - an album that you’ve had on steady rotation lately.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor

This has been on constant rotation the past couple of months. The title track and Afrique (both composed by Lee Morgan) are definite highlights.

6446F3BF-88DB-43E2-B507-55E6B647B082.jpeg

Play an album that is “hot” at your house right now - an album that you’ve had on steady rotation lately.

This kind of feels like cheating but it is what’s been playing the most at my house recently. This year I purchased a Tascam and have been enjoying dubbing my own tapes…thus Kanye West- Donda on cassette.Donda.jpeg

Having just finished the excellent 33 1/3 book on It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back, and not wanting to jump back on the VMP train for Fear of a Black Planet, this is scratching all the right itches.

Public Enemy ~ Power to the People and the Beats - Public Enemy's Greatest Hits

1630687011331.png

Day 03: “Burning Down The House”

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
7BC492A4-5884-4169-8263-A764715AA4DB.jpeg

I recently took a break from my obsessive rewatch of old WWF Pay-Per-Views (for the record, I just finished up the 1996 Survivor Series which saw Brett “The Hitman” Hart beat become the #1 contender after beating “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. Hart will now get to face Psycho Syd after Syd defeated “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels for The WWF World Title) to watch a documentary that I’ve been meaning to watch for about 20 years now. 1991: The Year Punk Broke chronicles Sonic Youth while they tour Europe. In a bit of kismet, the filmmaker also gotta capture the tour openers Nirvana on film just months prior to them becoming NIRVANA. Also along for the ride were Babes In Toyland, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr. and Courtney Love. The doc is mostly just some great live performances interspersed with clips of the bands fucking around. Anyways, I made myself a playlist inspired by the movie and since I already spun a Nirvana record I figured I would follow that up with some Sonic Youth.

Day 03: “Burning Down The House”

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (Audiophile boxset)

This album has gotten a lot of plays the last couple months. It's long been a favorite but only a recent grab. Cello Song just hits me in right place every time.

20210903_124453.jpg

Dry Cleaning "New Long Legs" (2021 4AD)
This new release is having some major staying power on my table. Heck, I even play the digital in the car when I need a fix. The album itself is great, but this vinyl pressing elevates it to another level with tight, deep basslines, wide soundstage and intimate vocals. For me, those basslines recall Massive Attack's Risingson for some reason, even though the musical styles are quite divergent.
Cut by Jason Mitchell (who did the recent PJ Harvey reissues) and pressed at Optimal.

IMG_1764.JPG

Back