September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 5 - “Making Flippy Floppy”
Check it out. Still don't make no sense. Makin' flippy floppy.
Do you have some flexi discs? Take them out and play them. If not, play some other unusual record format from your collection. A 10”? An oddly shaped record? A record that references old computer floppy discs? A record with other unusual features? The theme is flexible. Literally.

Sleep - Leagues Beneath

I don’t own a flexi disc or an oddly shaped record. All I really have that’s “unusual” is this Sleep 12” with a pretty sweet etching on the B side. Couldn’t get a good picture due to the awful lighting in this room.

EEBD985D-4A55-4BA2-8540-0D6173B06B07.jpeg
7C0C2D98-50EF-4B40-A866-BF0759B69EE8.jpeg

Day 6 - “Found A Job”
If your work isn't what you love, then something isn't right.
It’s labour day in Canada & USA. Play music that celebrates work in general or is thematic to the work you do.

Kraftwerk - Computer World

90% of my job involves sitting in front of a computer.

4E5A9C72-9C13-44A8-A2AA-2A6AAC1C391A.jpeg

Day 9: “Psycho Killer, qu’est-ce que c’est?”

Gino Vannelli
- Brother to Brother

View attachment 111627

Probably the only Quebec-born artist in my collection (tho he’s Italian-Canadian) He even name-checks Montreal on his biggest hit:

Gino! Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time! But now I have "Black Cars, Black Cars look better in the shade" stuck in my head.

Day 7 – “Blind”
Signs, signs are lost. Signs disappeared, turn invisible.
Play an album featuring eyes or songs about eyes.

Tom Waits - Mule Variations

Only Tom Waits can convincingly sing a song about a literal “eyeball kid”. So freaky and disturbing. I love it.

EF0AE465-897C-48E6-9DC0-22AD0DB9E365.jpeg

Day 9 - Psycho Killer, Qu'est-ce que c'est?

French Artist: ✅

French lyrics: ✅ on the last song, anyway. French titles, too.

Quebecoise: ❌

Electroswing, this group's just about the only thing I consider a guilty pleasure in my collection. My friends prefer their second album but I like this one more, more organic and I guess I like the more 30s style. Just feels like it has more going on. In the meantime I've been wanting to use this challenge to spin stuff I don't often, don't think that's going well. But I've been keeping a French Duolingo streak going since the start of the year so maybe I can go in the other direction and listen to all the stuff being spun for today and maybe find other ways to reinforce the French, hon hon hon.

VOICI LA (this song makes triggers frisson when listening on headphones, for me anyway)

Caravan Palace - Caravan Palace

_MG_0917.JPG

Day 10 - “This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)”
Home is where I want to be. Pick me up and turn me round.
Play something that makes you feel good to be home, dancing alone with a floor lamp (i.e. play something that makes you want to dance even if you’re alone).

I'm not much of a dancer...even when alone.

Below Crispin Glover mentions his infamous dance in Friday The 13th Part 4 was to Back In Black...they changed the music in post.

AC/DC – Back In Black
Atlantic – SD 16018, 1980

Cut by Robert Ludwig
Pressed at Allied

x8Pet1.jpg

duJ4BR.jpg

Someone re-added the correct music...

Play something that makes you feel good to be home, dancing alone with a floor lamp (i.e. play something that makes you want to dance even if you’re alone).
Always to this one..

Love the love Rodriguez is getting this month!

Nubya Garcia – Source
IMG-2001.jpg

———
There are very few Stevie Wonder covers that are worth my time. This one on the “Sing” soundtrack never fails to get me out of my seat. It’s the EWF-style horns that seal the deal.

Tori Kelly - “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing”

8B03F180-74DB-447B-9145-6E5437486A79.jpeg

Play something that makes you feel good to be home, dancing alone with a floor lamp (i.e. play something that makes you want to dance even if you’re alone)

Damien Rice - O

Around the time this album came out he played the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO. Tickets were over $50, which back then was absurd even for some well established bands. But I was so taken with the album I went anyway. A magical performance. Eskimo still makes me slow dance by myself like a princess every time I hear it, sometimes my wife will join me but I'm good dancing to this at home alone too.

IMG_20210910_113658.jpg

Back