September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 1 - “Girlfriend Is Better”
Stop making sense, stop making sense. Stop making sense, making sense.
“Stop Making Sense” (the album) was released 37 years ago in September 1984. Play a concert album.

The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love - Live at The Royal Oak Music Theater

Going to dip in, I always love the challenges. I may catch up or just wander through. But, Day One coincided with what I chose to spin for my wife today, it's her birthday. Also, she's the most beautiful person I've ever known. Anyhoooo...
This is also on point because she was my girlfriend when she started playing The Decemberists for me. Plus this was recorded at a great venue, where we caught Ween a couple years ago.

Thanks for running it this month @Turbo and thanks for the nudge to jump in.

DEC.jpeg

“Stop Making Sense” (the album) was released 37 years ago in September 1984. Play a concert album.

Going to dip in, I always love the challenges. I may catch up or just wander through. But, Day One coincided with what I chose to spin for my wife today, it's her birthday. Also, she's the most beautiful person I've ever known. Anyhoooo...
This is also on point because she was my girlfriend when she started playing The Decemberists for me. Plus this was recorded at a great venue, where we caught Ween a couple years ago.

View attachment 111514

Really happy to see you in here @ranbalam ! We've got a big room going too... seems like the end of summer brought a lot of people back to their tables. No worries if you can't do all the days, wandering through is just fine.

Day 2 - “Road To Nowhere”
Well, we know where we're goin' but we don't know where we've been.
Play an album that references driving, the road and/or traveling.

Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night

In keeping with my wife's birthday music as a directive for the theme, this record has one of her very favorite traveling songs:
Diamonds on My Windshield
She can always find a line to throw as we drive around on roadtrips.
And, this album's entire essence is traveling in one way or another. And damn, it's so fantastic.

Our most recent roadtrip was last month; from home to Montana and back, with a northern route there and southern route home.
Pic two is a collage I made of her state line crossings pics.

waits.jpegState Border Crossings 2021.jpg

Day 3 - “Burning Down The House”
Some things sure can sweep me off my feet.
Play an album that is “hot” at your house right now - an album that you’ve had on steady rotation lately.

Amythyst Kiah - Wary and Strange

This is probably the most spun new release I have. It goes a lot of different directions, which makes for somes great listens. This is really good.

AK.jpeg

Day 3 - “Burning Down The House”
Some things sure can sweep me off my feet.
Play an album that is “hot” at your house right now - an album that you’ve had on steady rotation lately.

Amythyst Kiah - Wary and Strange

This is probably the most spun new release I have. It goes a lot of different directions, which makes for somes great listens. This is really good.

View attachment 111522

Oh, I've been eying this one for a while. It's one of thse albums that I think would shine on vinyl over digital. How's the pressing?

Day 4 - “Wild Wild Life”
I'm wearing a fur pajamas. I ride a hot potato.
It’s National Wildlife Day! Play an album featuring wildlife on the cover and/or songs about wildlife.

Joni Mitchell - Song to a Seagull

This one's for Dola the birthday girl also.

joni.jpeg

Oh, I've been eying this one for a while. It's one of thse albums that I think would shine on vinyl over digital. How's the pressing?
It's clean and nice. I wouldn't say stunning or anything, but I do really feel it. I can recommend it for sure.

Seconded.

Seconded.

The Web Web I spun is the new frequency darling around here, but it's still got a long way to go before it catches up to this one in total spins!

View attachment 111514

Good to see you, brother!

I almost played a certain song on "eyes" day in your honor but decided to leave it in hopes you'd drop by.

I have faith you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Day 5 - “Making Flippy Floppy”
Check it out. Still don't make no sense. Makin' flippy floppy.
Do you have some flexi discs? Take them out and play them. If not, play some other unusual record format from your collection. A 10”? An oddly shaped record? A record that references old computer floppy discs? A record with other unusual features? The theme is flexible. Literally.

I think this was my first flexi-disc...

This does not play on my current system. These flexi's really need a lot of weight to track.

XTC – Looking For Footprints
Flexipop – FLEXIPOP 016, 1982

Pressed at Lyntone

xvjcwN.jpg

…and this one is my most recent. Compared to the older style above, new flexi-discs are a bit more rigid and track a lot better/easier. I got a handful of these types when I ordered a record from a punk label a few years ago.

John Carpenter – Alive After Death
Sacred Bones Records – SBR-265F, 2021

Day 6 - “Found A Job”
If your work isn't what you love, then something isn't right.
It’s labour day in Canada & USA. Play music that celebrates work in general or is thematic to the work you do.

I'm gonna have 2 album covers for this one...as the current situation requires a bit more.

I'm not a nurse, but I do have to glove up almost every time I go into a patient room, if I have to touch ANYTHING in the room, I'm putting on gloves.

Blink-182 – Enema Of The State
Geffen Records – B0023745-01, 1999/2016

Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio
Pressed at RTI

uDOXVQ.jpg

NnJ62p.jpg

And this cover...while we don't have full on hazmat suits...yet, for all the Covid rooms, I have to wear a CAPR helmet.

Kid Dakota ‎– Age Of Roaches
Graveface Records ‎– GRAVE166, 2020

Graveface Record Club variant - Clear w/ Turquoise Swirl - numbered/limited to 200, #16

Pressed at GZ

(old image because I'm lazy)
xBRp2d.jpg

Rrn2YT.jpg

This is what I have to wear - the other night 8 of my 12 rooms were Covid. 2 more were contact isolation, so I still have to wear the blue gown. Only 2 were not in isolation at all, but both were independent in the room, so I rarely had to do anything with them.

mopec-maxair-saw-400x400.jpg

Last edited:
Day 7 – “Blind”
Signs, signs are lost. Signs disappeared, turn invisible.
Play an album featuring eyes or songs about eyes.

This has the cover image and multiple tracks about "sight"

Screenshot 2021-09-08 201324.JPG

Nektar – Journey To The Centre Of The Eye
Bacillus Records/Bellaphon – BLPS 19064, 1971/?

Re-issue with slight label difference - "Made In Germany" printed under a boxed Bellaphon logo

RHkbVx.jpg

ME71yo.jpg

Day 8 - “Sugar On My Tongue”
Is she gonna put sugar on my tongue? Is she gonna gimme, gimme, gimme some?
Is this song about sex or drugs? Or both? Play music that references sex or drugs, bonus imaginary points if both.

Let's throw in religion, too!!!

The track posted below came to my head first when reading the theme of the day - glad to see no one snipe it from me.

Christian Death – Sex And Drugs And Jesus Christ
Jungle Records – FREUD 25, 1988

Cut by Denis Blackham at Tape One
Pressed at MPO

tHk1aj.jpg

b717aq.jpg

Day 9 - “Psycho killer, qu’est-ce que c’est?”
Réalisant mon espoir, je me lance vers la gloire, OK.
Play an album with French lyrics or by an artist from Quebec or France. Imaginary bonus brown noser points for a French album by a French-Canadian artist.

Stephane Grappelli - Uptown DanceA871A96C-1CB2-4D4A-9CA6-1D744E804E69.jpeg

Back