September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 9 - “Psycho killer, qu’est-ce que c’est?”
Réalisant mon espoir, je me lance vers la gloire, OK.
Play an album with French lyrics or by an artist from Quebec or France. Imaginary bonus brown noser points for a French album by a French-Canadian artist.

Born in Hull, Quebec.

He also sings some in French.

Daniel Lanois ‎– Acadie
Opal Records/Warner Bros. Records ‎– 925 969-1, 1989

European release

Pressed at Record Service Alsdorf

AzzFto.jpg

Re1oNS.jpg

Play an album with French lyrics or by an artist from Quebec or France. Imaginary bonus brown noser points for a French album by a French-Canadian artist.

Mélissa Laveaux – Radyo Siwèl

Mélissa Laveaux
Profile: Haitian-Canadian singer-songwriter and guitarist based in Paris, France.
Born 9 January 1985 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Woo Hoo! Imaginary points!

PXL_20210909_122624918.jpg

Born in Hull, Quebec.

He also sings some in French.

Daniel Lanois ‎– Acadie
Opal Records/Warner Bros. Records ‎– 925 969-1, 1989

European release

Pressed at Record Service Alsdorf

AzzFto.jpg

Re1oNS.jpg

A hometown boy!

Christine And The Queens – Chris (French Version)
Not sure how or why, but I ended up with both the English and French versions of this album.
IMG-1999.jpg

Les Cowboys Fringants "Les Antipodes" (2019 La Tribu; 2020 reissue)
This is one of those records that was huge in Quebec a few years ago but didn't get much airplay outside. Essentially the equivalent of "Big In Japan", as is often the case here. The opener "L'Amérique Pleure" is a gorgeous song about a truck driver witnessing the decay of civilization while traveling across America. The chorus essentially translates to "It's so sad that when I return home, park my old truck, it's all of America that I see crying in my rearview mirror" (it's more poetic in French). The band integrates a lot of traditional Quebec musical sounds into their contemporary tunes, so it's a pretty good cultural introduction as well. I'm adding a video link if you're interested.

IMG_1779.JPG

Day 09: “Psycho killer, qu’est-ce que c’est?”

Bran Van 3000 - Glee
E6417AE8-B12B-453E-B45E-651B33737438.jpeg

One of the most Canadian albums in my collection and of course an album made by a band from Montreal definitely features a some songs en français.

Day 09: “Psycho killer, qu’est-ce que c’est?”

Bran Van 3000 - Glee
View attachment 111578

One of the most Canadian albums in my collection and of course an album made by a band from Montreal definitely features a some songs en français.

Great reissue too - thanks for pointing that out a little while back. Played the hell out of that in 1997. It’s great that it uses the original Canadian track listing and mixes but still provides the US tracks as extras.

First thing that came to mind for today was Kate Bush singing 'Jeux Sans Frontiers'. I'm awarding bonus imaginary points to myself since I haven't listened to this album in a long time and I forgot how much I liked it.

Peter Gabriel - III / Melting

1631209879041.png

———
Another from Oscar Peterson (Quebec), but no French lyrics, though.

4137DFDA-14F5-408C-A37A-16A2F513648B.jpeg

Echo & the Bunnymen - Silver b/w Angels and Devils (1984)

One of the best songs from their best album. Sadly I have no Quebecois artists in my 7in collection, so a bit of a stretch on this one. Recorded in Paris. This is the best I can do and it still be a 7in.
F1742C03-AB04-44E2-92FF-54C256619DD3.jpeg

Feels like cheating with an easy pick...

Arcade Fire - S/T

Hey!
The streetlights all burnt out
Une année sans lumière
Je monte un cheval
Qui porte des œillères
Hey, my eyes are shooting sparks
La nuit, mes yeux t'éclairent
N'dis pas à ton père
Qu'il porte des œillères

IMG_20210909_160344__01.jpg

Day 8 - “Sugar On My Tongue”
Is she gonna put sugar on my tongue? Is she gonna gimme, gimme, gimme some?
Is this song about sex or drugs? Or both? Play music that references sex or drugs, bonus imaginary points if both.

... Lorde's most recent release, "Solar Power," is linked to cannabis - "not bong hits in the bedroom so much as gummies on a bluff at sunset," Haskell wrote.​
Lorde previously told The New York Times' Joe Coscarelli that she originally set out to make a "big acid record."​
"I had, like, one bad acid experience with this album, and I was like, 'Meh, it's a weed album.' It's one of my great weed albums," she said.​

Lorde - Solar Power

PXL_20210909_202820348.jpg

Back