September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 24 - 2010's

20200925_163744.jpg

Lana Del Rey - Born to Die

The 2010s were super impactful for me and my taste of music.the majority of my collection is made up of albums from it so it was hard to pick what to play!

Lana is in my holy trinity of artists (along with St Vincent and Father John Misty). I really cant put into words how much she means to me and what an effect her discography had on my tastes. She is currently the only artist to have win my personal AOTY twice and I would not be surprised if she becomes a 3 time winner

Some great picks coming thru tonight ...and @cul8er is flying thru catch up ...

As promised ..THE ULTIMATE GAV-LA AWARD UPDATE .......

5 days left ....I’ve been secretly awarding you all a point per post based on a threshold to qualify that only I know and understand using an advanced mathematical formulae that no one understands but me to reach the .....ULTIMATE GAV-LA

Winner revealed 1/10.......

🎰

Day 25 - 70s night

20200925_163222.jpg

Donna Summer - Bad Girls

Donna summer has been my current fav since hearing MacArthur Park a few weeks ago and becoming a little too obsessed with it. Camt believe it took me this long to really get into her music, this album sounds like it was custom made for my enjoyment

Day 26: ”Stranger Things..” - 80’s classics time

The 80s is the only decade that in my mind has a wholly distinctive sound, so much so that my album organization utilizes the following categories: general rock, psych/prog rock, indie/current, jazz, singer-songwriter, blues/soul, and 80s. It was the post-disco era, and it brought with it the beginnings of the (temporary!) demise of vinyl. Can’t say it’s characterized by music I’m very fond of, and even the stuff I liked then doesn’t seem to hold up as well as music from periods before and after that decade. But I think it’s also true I’m oversimplifying this because my hasty summary of the 80s doesn’t really include the bands I like that were creating music before, and continued to make music beyond the 80s, like, well, too many great bands to mention. So in essence, I don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about….. Be that as it may, one of my favorite albums, regardless of the decade it was released:

Elvis Costello – Imperial Bedroom

Sept26A.jpg

Day 26: ”Stranger Things..”

I thought of going with a more "80's" sounding release, but this one is one of my favorites of the decade.

Metallica ‎– Master Of Puppets
Blackened Recordings ‎– BLCKND005R-1, 1986/2017

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at Pallas

rcJVPP.jpg

ghIZRE.jpg

Day 25 - 70s

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die - 1970

I never tire of this record. I have loved Winwood's voice for as long as I can remember. I think my first exposure was the live version of Freedom Rider, linked below. I saw it on a local music show in the early 80s called The Beat hosted by Doug Podell. I was transfixed by the whole band, and Stevie's performance was so magical to me.

Drum note
Jim Capaldi. What can I say that hasn't been said? An amazing and accomplished drummer and writer.

20200926_082805.jpg

Back