September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Gavaxeman

THE GAV-LA’S

Hello Ladies and Gentleman and Welcome to the September 2020 Record Challenge Thread! I am your host Gavaxeman.

This month I’m skint as usual as spent my money on records for RSD so there will be a non financial award for those entries I choose worthy ..based on your submissions ..dubbed the Gav-La’s ..think of an Emmy or Grammy but better ..you could even copy and paste your personalised award and add it to your profile..think of the Kudos amongst your fellow forum members ..the envy .... entries that I pick will get a badge of honour revealed throughout the thread . A bit like a school report.

This will be following the basic rules of most Challenge threads

The "rules"

• Even though there is an award , it's not based off anything other than posting on some days. I wont be judging on how well it fits the theme or anything like that..but I am quite judgmental
  • Interpret each topic in your own way. As long as it’s good
  • Try to play something that hasn't been played for that day. Or before
  • Catch up if you miss some days by being lazy and disorganised ..I won’t judge you poorly honest , as even I missed a few days in July (and played catch up for most of August...)
  • Don't be shy about telling stories about your selection, and yet don't feel you have to elaborate on anything you post, but the stories are the best bit so ...make some effort.
  • Have fun ..but keep it legal

THE THEMES

Without further posturing here are the daily themes for this month!

Day 1: “Moby Dick” - it’s all about the beat , records to showcase the drummer

Day 2: “Debut” ..those that got it right straight out of the box

Day 3: “Power Trio”- play a record by a Three Piece.

Day 4: “And now for something completely different..” ..any Record you like but with a piece of music related memorabilia to accompany it ...a gig ticket, book, t shirt , poster, funkopops.. what’s lurking out there ..autographs? Elvis’s Cadillac..yellow submarine ....

Day 5: “Box Set Weekend pt 1” - Pick one of those big box sets we never get round to playing and finally play stuff from it today....

Day 6: “Box Set Weekend pt 2”...and tomorrow ..choose another if you made a bad choice yesterday.

Day 7: “Mini maxi “ play a Mini lp or maxi single/EP type thing

Day 8: “Birmingham Beat” - lets see how far my hometown bands have travelled..anywhere from the Midlands U.K. will do. (Or U.K. if you struggle with the accent) ..hint.. SabbathDuran etc

Day 9: “Yes but no but..” - albums your really not sure off..staggering genius or..shite

Day 10: “In Rainbows..”.. Coloured Vinyl day ..let’s see how many different colours we can display...

Day 11: “Judas!”.. Folky Acoustic stuff .. pipes, chunky jumpers and real ale etc ...

Day 12: “Do the funky Gibbon”...Play anything ..as long as it’s FUNKY and a GOODY.

Day 13: “Time” - an album from your year of birth

Day 14: “X-Files”.. play a great 10 track album

Day 15:”Holiday”- thanks to Covid 19 canceling my hols, this is as close as I will get ...records about travel

Day 16: “Born in the USA”- records by artists from the ...USA.

Day 17: “Fab Four”- Make or break time ..those bands that reached the 4th album ..play album number 4 or IV.

Day 18: “The Bell X1 syndrome”..play something that really should be well more known.....

Day 19: “Axe Attack”- guitarist wet dream albums , shoegaze heaven etc

Day 20: “Quiet Riot”..play some soothing Sunday sounds

Day 21: “Lonesome Tonight”- Boo..it’s Monday ..sad records

Day 22: “Collectors Corner”.. play a rare, unusual or valuable release , or one you’ve got umpteenth copies of

Day 23: “Raise Your Hands”..- Live Albums ..let’s see them lighters...or phones

Day 24: 2010...2020..- great albums from the last 10 years for the young folk

Day 25: “Life on Mars”..it’s 70’s night ..

Day 26: ”Stranger Things..” - 80’s classics time

Day 27: “Labels”- picture those immortal circular label designs

Day 28: “Simply the best..”..play a great best of or a various artists compilation album

Day 29: “Devolution ..”- albums that go back to basics

Day 30: “and it looks like we’ve made it to the end ...” RIP..play something by those sadly no longer with us...or dead if you like

Last edited:
Soooo... my turntable is in the living room and with both kids in school now but still at home due to some virus or something, it's getting hard to command enough living room time to keep up with these, so I'm going to play along, but via my digital collection this month.

Digital, CDs , vinyl ...

All are welcome!

tumblr_nikl8pxDdz1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Alright, I'm in! My first one of these so we'll see how it goes...

Day 1: “Moby Dick” - it’s all about the beat, records to showcase the drummer

Gotta go with Keith Moon and The Who - Who's Next

View attachment 64087

My favorite drummers are the creative ones who get a lot out of a small kit.

Mitch Mitchell. That is all.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

View attachment 64085

Great start guys

This month I'll try to highlight the wonderful ladies in my collection.

Stella Mozgawa

IMG_8943.jpg

Roy Haynes - We Three

Sometimes, the sign of a great drummer is when they know when to take a more subdued approach in service of the song. Roy’s playing here isn’t mind blowing, but he lays down some great foundations to allow Newborn and even Chambers to really shine. There’s also some great solo work by Roy on a few tracks.
73D8A97A-D7FF-4691-864B-09681541ACA3.jpeg

Day 1: Moby-Dick

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

I've played guitar almost as long as I've been into music, so the drums aren't normally what I focus on or hear first when I listen to a record. (Live, that's a different story.) And while of course Bill and Brent are incredible here, playing (IMO) the best songs, riffs, chord progressions, and solos of their careers, drummer Brann Dailor really shines here, providing the driving beat and picking up steam when necessary to let them do that. Brann also takes on some vocal duties for the first time in the killer opener, "Oblivion."

IMG_20200901_095819.jpgBRANN-PLAYING-3-2O0A1494-Edit.jpg

Back