September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 24 - 2010...2020

This 2016 LP by Kate (now Kae) Tempest is one my favorites of the past 10 years. Kind of a spoken word/hip hop/electronic amalgamation. Kae is literally a world class writer, with multiple literary awards to their name.

5397D03F-736B-403E-9CBD-552A20C3137D.jpeg

Day 9: “Yes but no but..” - albums your really not sure off..staggering genius or..shite This will have to wait until nobody else is home tomorrow, because I'm sure they will say it is the latter! :ROFLMAO:

Onward to day 10:
Day 10: “In Rainbows..”.. Coloured Vinyl day ..let’s see how many different colours we can display...

Tropical Fuck Storm ‎– Braindrops

Colorful vinyl, colorful name, colorful all-round.

IMG_20200924_175656.jpgIMG_20200924_175727.jpg

That must have been a great show. Drunk II is one of the best fucking songs! and I'm sure I've lost a bit of my hearing to it. :) The tension between the music and the lyrics/sentiment is just so goddamn perfect.

Do you remember the night
I called you up
I was so fucked up
I forgot we were broken up
I still love you
You stupid fuck

Yeah, it was a great show! To be honest, I didn't know much about them beforehand. I'm sure glad I did go and see them. I, too, have probably lost some hearing at these shows. Loads of fun, though.

Day 22: Collector's corner

Coheed and Cambria - The Second Stage Turbine Blade

This is probably my rarest/most collectable album not by a local artist at 1000 copies. Certainly the after-market value for it would make me think that. I also have the cooler, slightly less limited green version which came with the hidden track and a b-side on a 7", a signed tour poster and a tour laminate. I should probably sell one of them but the green one is framed and this is my playing copy for one of my favourite albums from high school and probably one of the most important of my life.

PXL_20200924_233015575.jpg

Day 24: 2010...2020..- great albums from the last 10 years for the young folk

Mitski - Bury Me At Makeout Creek

Mitski's been the most interesting non-major label artist of the last half dozen years. If you've been to one of her shows you know how important she already is to the yutes.

IMG_20200924_200951.jpg

Considering most of my collection is from the last decade I feel weird going all the way back to 2010 but here we are.

This was one of those crossover albums that really married some old school soul sounds, new pop influences, and great production work. Sentimentally I was super happy to pick this up as it’s one of the few musicians my mother and I have really bonded over and seen multiple times.

Fitz and the Tantrums - Pickin Up The Pieces (Ten Bands Edition)

PXL_20200925_012310816.jpg

Day 25: “Life on Mars”..it’s 70’s night ..

Although it took me a while to figure it out, there's only one choice to be made here, the album that was by far the most significant and meaningful for me throughout the 70s (and beyond). It was released at the beginning of my freshman year in college and became the primary soundtrack for my life. Kinda dramatic, I know, but there's just no other way to say it.

Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky

Sept25b.jpg

Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel (Partisan, 2019 First Pressing)

Good timing as I was going to listen to this anyway. This was a fantastic PIF from @Thackeraye, and its one which I have played a lot, even more than their latest release. Such a distinctive sound, love it.

IMG_1016.JPG

Back