September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

1981 blows. I have a few choices but scrolling the the releases on Wikipedia yeash lotsa bad.

That’s a fun tool to play with.

Day 13: “Time” - an album from your year of birth
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Architecture & Morality
Released: 6 November 1981
075CA871-9EC3-440E-9286-4E0338329372.jpeg
I spent a good portion of my football watching time contemplating which album (of my very few options) to choose for this one. Basically I had The Stones - Tattoo You, Prince - Controversy and this to choose from. I went with OMD mainly because Prince has been played already, and I just listened to Tattoo You last week. Also OMD is fucking great and don’t get enough props for their brilliant run of albums released during the first half of the 1980s.

Day 14: “X-Files”.. play a great 10 track album

I'm going with a 10-track record from this year that blew me away and resides in (at least) my top-10 thus far. She's got an amazing voice, the lyrics are powerful, and the whole package just really works for me.

Johanna Warren - Chaotic Good

Sept14a.jpgSept14b.jpg

This is the most intense song on the album and I read some interesting things about her decision to not worry about maintaining the "prettiness" of her voice to express herself on this cut.

Day 14: “X-Files”

I have an original pressing, but with the "Stormwatch 2" compilation that was released for RSD in the mail, I figured I should get this reissue, too. I do enjoy most of Steven Wilson's new mixes...for Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and XTC.

I was going to pick the first random album generated by Discogs, but I looked though the "need to play" pile first and found this one.

Jethro Tull ‎– Stormwatch
Chrysalis ‎– 0190295400873, 1979/2020

Pressed at Optimal

pqlEk3.jpg

OkKT3S.jpg

Last edited:

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn (Epic, 2020 VMP Exclusive Pressing)

Frantically searching through discogs and counting each tracklist until I came across this one! Was beginning to think there was no such album with 10 tracks!!!

IMG_1588.JPG

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn (Epic, 2020 VMP Exclusive Pressing)

Frantically searching through discogs and counting each tracklist until I came across this one! Was beginning to think there was no such album with 10 tracks!!!

View attachment 66131

I saw that this one had 10 tracks, but decided to leave it for someone else to play.

David Gray - White Ladder

8A08FE45-CA38-4410-B2D6-70AA40E8D501.jpeg

10 songs spread across 2 LP’s at 45RPM. VMP got this one right! While everyone knows the smash hit Babylon, White Ladder also includes favorites like Please Forgive Me, My Oh My, This Year’s Love, and a great cover of Soft Cell’s Say Hello Wave Goodbye.

D1321291-2716-45A8-9368-5AE9B8ECE22B.jpeg

Back