September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 13: “Time” - an album from your year of birth

My plan was to do a whole month of female artists, I should have done my homework because I have no 1974 albums by female artists....

Let's go with some Neil Young then

View attachment 66202

A Gav-la for @gafacaode for ambition 🤷‍♂️

Day 14: “X-Files”.. play a great 10 track album...Let's keep rolling the Stones!

The Rolling Stones -It's Only Rock n'Roll....not everyone's favorite Stones album,but my fave Stones song is on here....Time Waits for No one.

20200914_163202.jpg

Day 14 - 10 TraX

Courtney Marie Andrews - Old Flowers

I like this more than May Your Kindness Remain after just a couple spins. Especially side B, beautiful stuff.

Drum note
The drummer on this record is James Krivchenia from Big Thief, he does some really tasteful stuff. And I absolutely love the overall percussion approach on Break the Spell, which is currently my favorite track on this one.

20200914_180249.jpg

So let's do a two fer

So I have a few hundred at this point... And nothing from my year of birth. So I'm cheating a bit. This album was recorded in part in 1987 which is as close as it's getting being released in 1988. The release of this pressing was later but it still hits really damn hard.

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton

IMG_20200914_195603.jpg

Day 14: “X-Files”.. play a great 10 track album

This is one of my freshest grabs. The xx's career trajectory is really interesting to me. Their debut is a modern classic, and I thought Coexist was well received, but I See You never seemed to get the traction I thought it should. There's some real emotional movement throughout. 10 really solid tracks that work together and a nightmare to photo.

I See You - The xx

IMG_20200914_193447.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_193447.jpg
    IMG_20200914_193447.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1
So let's do a two fer

So I have a few hundred at this point... And nothing from my year of birth. So I'm cheating a bit. This album was recorded in part in 1987 which is as close as it's getting being released in 1988. The release of this pressing was later but it still hits really damn hard.

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton

View attachment 66233

Day 14: “X-Files”.. play a great 10 track album

This is one of my freshest grabs. The xx's career trajectory is really interesting to me. Their debut is a modern classic, and I thought Coexist was well received, but I See You never seemed to get the traction I thought it should. There's some real emotional movement throughout. 10 really solid tracks that work together and a nightmare to photo.

I See You - The xx

View attachment 66235

They were not kidding with the whole "I See You" thing... ;)

Day 14: “X-Files”

I have an original pressing, but with the "Stormwatch 2" compilation that was released for RSD in the mail, I figured I should get this reissue, too. I do enjoy most of Steven Wilson's new mixes...for Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and XTC.

I was going to pick the first random album generated by Discogs, but I looked though the "need to play" pile first and found this one.

Jethro Tull ‎– Stormwatch
Chrysalis ‎– 0190295400873, 1979/2020

Pressed at Optimal

pqlEk3.jpg

OkKT3S.jpg

Just saw that today is the 41st anniversary of this album.

I didn't even know this....totally random.

Day 15:”Holiday”- thanks to Covid 19 canceling my hols, this is as close as I will get ...records about travel

I am on a lonely road and I am traveling, traveling, traveling, traveling
Looking for something, what can it be

This has been the most difficult September challenge selection for me so far. My favorite, most nostalgic travel song is Simon and Garfunkel's 'America,' but that's not enough to justify choosing Bookends. And am I looking for an album about travel, inspired by travel, one that inspires travel? So many ways to look at it. But, when in doubt, I figure I can't go wrong choosing a favorite, and that's Blue, by Joni Mitchell. I know that Joni was traveling during at least some of the time she wrote this album. Being away from California inspired her to write about it, being in Europe influenced her lyrics, and being away from her lover, Graham Nash, led to 'My Old Man,' and, apparently, contributed to their breakup. That's enough travel relevance for me.

Sept15.jpg

Day 15:”Holiday”- thanks to Covid 19 canceling my hols, this is as close as I will get ...records about travel

I am on a lonely road and I am traveling, traveling, traveling, traveling
Looking for something, what can it be

This has been the most difficult September challenge selection for me so far. My favorite, most nostalgic travel song is Simon and Garfunkel's 'America,' but that's not enough to justify choosing Bookends. And am I looking for an album about travel, inspired by travel, one that inspires travel? So many ways to look at it. But, when in doubt, I figure I can't go wrong choosing a favorite, and that's Blue, by Joni Mitchell. I know that Joni was traveling during at least some of the time she wrote this album. Being away from California inspired her to write about it, being in Europe influenced her lyrics, and being away from her lover, Graham Nash, led to 'My Old Man,' and, apparently, contributed to their breakup. That's enough travel relevance for me.

View attachment 66260

Excellent post

Since travelling is still complicated, how about an introspective journey?
I've picked up meditation these last few months and found it extremely helpful with anxiety and frustration.

F6C5DA9E-D045-4B44-96B3-829E1E47E3F6.jpeg

Back