September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 13: “Time” - an album from your year of birth

I’ve got to go with Sinatra. My parents were big fans of his when they were in their teens and I know they saw him live, probably a bunch of times where they lived in Brooklyn. My dad remained a big fan throughout his adulthood. My family home often was filled with Sinatra’s music; my dad used to dance/sing to it while he vacuumed our living room rug on Sunday mornings. :D So I guess I’ve got a soft spot for ol’ Blue Eyes, even though I don’t typically listen to his stuff (though I have about 20 of his records!). I’m listening to this one, and it’s pretty good!

Frank Sinatra – This is Sinatra! 1956, Capitol Records

According to Discogs (always right, right?), this is Sinatra’s first collection of “singles and B-sides with Nelson Riddle.” Guess that means if it was coming out today, there’d be a dozen different color variants and seven different websites offering pre-orders. OR, it’d just be an RSD release.

Sept13.jpg

Day 13: “Time” - an album from your year of birth

Tom Waits - Bone Machine (Island Records, 1992 First Pressing)

I was really lucky to pick up this first pressing a while ago now. The seller posted a single picture with a basic 'Tom Waits Bone Machine Vinyl' title and the same again in the description. I risked a bid (there are lots of bootlegs out there and the first pressing is pretty tricky to find) and ended up winning so really pleased with it!

IMG_3114.JPG

Day 13: “Time”

This was not something that was being played in the house when I was born in 1977.

Television ‎– Marquee Moon
Elektra ‎– 7E-1098, 1977

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Columbia, Santa Maria

9KKLi5.jpg

vvM8ag.jpg

Back