Secretly Society

this is definitely the most tempting new subscription service because i like indie rock and they have a good relationship with it

but at the same time i dont really like most of the stuff

this is definitely the most tempting new subscription service because i like indie rock and they have a good relationship with it

but at the same time i dont really like most of the stuff
Yeah, I like indie too, but I’m not a fan of most of their stuff. And nearly all the stuff on their I really like, VMP have done a colour variant of it! (Moses Sumney, Alex Cameron, Angel Olsen, Stella Donnelly, Durand Jones & The Indications, Mitski, Faye Webster etc). And pretty much everytime VMP do a title Secretly Store are selling, the VMP Colour variant looks way better.

Their sale is great! I would’ve probably have signed back up if they had 30% off 3-month subscriptions, but definitely not for a 6-month subscription...

Thinking I might finally jump in for 6-months. Though I'm way more interested in past releases than any of the current/upcoming picks. How good is Secretly with swapping?

Thinking I might finally jump in for 6-months. Though I'm way more interested in past releases than any of the current/upcoming picks. How good is Secretly with swapping?

Swaps are easy. You just email them with what you want. They respond super quick and in my experience pretty much will happily do anything you want. You just have to ask. Their customer service is top notch.

FEBRUARY 2020

Khruangbin & Leon Bridges, Texas Sun (Dead Oceans)

on Coke bottle clear vinyl
1575397648315.png

Driving anywhere in Texas can cost you half a day, easy. For example, it’ll take you over four hours just to get from R&B singer Leon Bridges’ hometown of Fort Worth down to Houston, where the psychedelic wanderers in Khruangbin hail from. The state is vast, crisscrossed with rugged expanses of road flanked by limestone cliffs and granite mountains, forests of pine and mesquite, miles of desert or acres of sprawling grassland, all depending on what part you’re in. And it’s all baking under the Texas Sun that lends its name to Bridges and Khruangbin’s new collaborative EP.

“Big sky country, that’s what they call Texas,” Khruangbin bassist Laura Lee says. “The horizon line goes all the way from one side to another without interruption. There’s something really comforting about that.”

On Texas Sun, these two members of the state’s musical vanguard meet up somewhere in the middle of that scene, in the mythical nexus of Texas’ past, present, and future—a dreamy badlands where genres blur as seamlessly as the terrain. It calls equally to the cowboys boot-scooting at Billy Bob’s in Fort Worth, the chopped-and-screwed hip-hop fans rattling slabs on the southside of Houston, the art-school kids dropping acid in Austin, the cross-cultural progeny who grew up on listening to both mariachi and post-hardcore out on the Mexican borders of El Paso.

All of these things, overlapping in a multicolored melange, purple hues as vivid and unpredictable as one of the state’s rightfully celebrated sunsets.

FEBRUARY 2020

View attachment 24767

Driving anywhere in Texas can cost you half a day, easy. For example, it’ll take you over four hours just to get from R&B singer Leon Bridges’ hometown of Fort Worth down to Houston, where the psychedelic wanderers in Khruangbin hail from. The state is vast, crisscrossed with rugged expanses of road flanked by limestone cliffs and granite mountains, forests of pine and mesquite, miles of desert or acres of sprawling grassland, all depending on what part you’re in. And it’s all baking under the Texas Sun that lends its name to Bridges and Khruangbin’s new collaborative EP.

“Big sky country, that’s what they call Texas,” Khruangbin bassist Laura Lee says. “The horizon line goes all the way from one side to another without interruption. There’s something really comforting about that.”

On Texas Sun, these two members of the state’s musical vanguard meet up somewhere in the middle of that scene, in the mythical nexus of Texas’ past, present, and future—a dreamy badlands where genres blur as seamlessly as the terrain. It calls equally to the cowboys boot-scooting at Billy Bob’s in Fort Worth, the chopped-and-screwed hip-hop fans rattling slabs on the southside of Houston, the art-school kids dropping acid in Austin, the cross-cultural progeny who grew up on listening to both mariachi and post-hardcore out on the Mexican borders of El Paso.

All of these things, overlapping in a multicolored melange, purple hues as vivid and unpredictable as one of the state’s rightfully celebrated sunsets.
Hell yeah

FEBRUARY 2020

View attachment 24767

Wish it was a full-length and not an EP, but either way, that first track is solid. Wonder if they'll add something else to the package for February, too...

FEBRUARY 2020

View attachment 24767

On Texas Sun, these two members of the state’s musical vanguard meet up somewhere in the middle of that scene, in the mythical nexus of Texas’ past, present, and future—a dreamy badlands where genres blur as seamlessly as the terrain. It calls equally to the cowboys boot-scooting at Billy Bob’s in Fort Worth, the choppebd-and-screwed hip-hop fans rattling slabs on the southside of Houston, the art-school kids dropping acid in Austin, the cross-cultural progeny who grew up on listening to both mariachi and post-hardcore out on the Mexican borders of El Paso.

But the scretly store exclusive looks nicer

Back