Secretly Society

I’m listening right now and this pressing is underwhelming to me. Sounds muddy and the instruments feel buried. Could be a little brighter so those treble knobs could be handy.

I’m curious if anyone hears it the same or different. Please share 😊

It's also flat. And unfortunately I'm talking about in sound quality. ☹️.

Spun mine a couple of times now.

Granted I'm running a Late 70's Sony TT and 1978 Yamaha CR-220 Receiver with wired speakers. But I'd called the sound "pressed". "Flat" describes it too. Particularly, the low end/bass.

I played around with the "Loudness" and which, withe the appropriate adjustments to Bass/Treble - can improve on some issues. But even that isn't' "filling out" the sound the way I think the arrangements want to be.

Love the songs...the production not so much.

Edit: I get particularly distracted by the production on what I believe is the the open high-hat on "and me" (1st song side B).
To me it sounds like steam being released: "SSSST - SSSST." It's distracting.

It’s... ummm... possible... that J can’t hear shit anymore, which might explain why Lou’s songs sound better-produced.

Y'all, welcome to the world of Jagjaguwar Records. Cheap but shitty sounding LP's has been their calling card for over a decade at this point. These are the people responsible for ruining the Bon Iver s/t

Edit: I don't even think it's the production. I almost guarantee the digital version dropping soon will sound better.

Last edited:
Y'all, welcome to the world of Jagjaguwar Records. Cheap but shitty sounding LP's has been their calling card for over a decade at this point. These are the people responsible for ruining the Bon Iver s/t

Edit: I don't even think it's the production. I almost guarantee the digital version dropping soon will sound better.
And every Angel Olsen pressing...

Looks like I have 17 releases from the label. I’ll have to revisit them. I don’t recall Black Mountain’s IV sounding like that.

no judgement for sure! I honestly was just hoping you were going to say they told you to keep it because I can't be hassled to go to a post office :cool:

I mostly wrote to confirm they don't have two active accounts for me - I converted my 3 month to a 6 month to get the SVE and Japanese Breakfast and the way they had me do it was to buy another subscription and apply a discount code so it looks like I have an active active 6 month account and an active canceled 3 month on my profile
Somehow they have me with two subs, a three and a six. I upgraded on a discount offer about three days after I originally signed up.
So They told me to keep it.

Could be a big PIfsGiving.

Somehow they have me with two subs, a three and a six. I upgraded on a discount offer about three days after I originally signed up.
So They told me to keep it.

Could be a big PIfsGiving.
I think we’re on similar tracks. They told me that I no longer had two active subs and only my six month was active going forward and that the second copy was sent in error.

Last edited:
Any UK / EU member received their Dino Jr yet? I’ve had no shipping notice and no response to an email to support.

I streamed Dinosaur Jr and I'm thinking the pressing isn't fully yo blame. I didn't listen on the same stereo so it's not a direct comparison but the stream sounded a little more dynamic but the insurments still sounded piled on top of each other and the drums still sounded weak.

I keep reading how JMasics turned down the offer to join Nirvana 2x.
I'm dying to hear that mash up.
Oh man. Given how acerbic Cobain was and how laconically dickish J was known for being (it looks like he's gotten better since Dino reformed?), I can only imagine it would have been explosive (although think of Nirvana songs with longass shredding solos)

Last edited:
Yeah. Just the usual Royal Mail has it one. Im finding them pretty good for shipping

Back