Secretly Society

My initial thoughts on the new Molina are that it's fine. It's pretty sparse, so acoustic solo performances. I found that the songs sounded good, but nothing felt fully fleshed out. It's short as well.

I was intrigued and am glad I got it in the subscription, but can't say I'll likely revisit often.

I am nearly done with my first spin of the new Molina. It feels like a really good collection of demos, with interstitial "studio" banter and bird sounds. Very mellow, with some definite dynamics poking out here and there. Ends abruptly.

Pretty decent pressing in comparison to what I'm used to getting from Secretly. Flat, clean and quiet.

It really doesn't feel like a full album. More like a soundtrack or something like that. Still, I'm happy to have it. I think it will continue to get spins alongside other S:O or MEC albums.

Yeah. That's also why they shipped my other stuff. I didn't have to ask for them to do that but I also doubt they would have if I didn't email.
Yeah, I get they're a small shop but sometimes their outreach is a bit, um, lacking. I'll give them a few days - everything mail related in Chicago has been particularly bad since covid.

This is one band that i just cannot get into no matter how hard I try. I do like that album cover though.

I've always liked them but always felt I should like them more than I do. They've just never pushed me over the hump to love. That cover IS dope though - and the Hammond Song cover they released today is really lovely.

Loving this new/old Molina. I just love his voice, you can hear the heartbreak in it. It is a shame he couldn't find peace in life, his music is so good. Really wishing I would have been a member when they had they had the Live at At La Chepelle.

Last edited:
Loving this new/old Molina. I just love his voice, you can hear the heartbreak in it. It is a shame he couldn't find peace in life, his music is so good. Really wishing I would have been a member when they had they had the Live at At La Chepelle.
I like this stuff they’re releasing, but I feel like they’re getting reeeeeeal close to Elliot Smith/Jeff Buckley territory in what they’re releasing. Stuff like 8 Gates and Live at WOBC are solid releases, but man I feel like we’re close to that line where they just publish anything they find. Crummy audience boots are fine for what they are, but honestly don’t contribute anything unless it’s a notable show or performance. Then you start moving toward that kinda icky line of non-demos and “here’s a message he left on my answering machine” nonsense.

Has any one grabbed that John & Yoko album in their backlog? How does that sound?

Back