Secretly Society

Oof. Was going through checkout but almost $20 shipped for a single (with one track already on the album) is a bit much.
That's the annoying thing about the bundles. You get the 7" the same time as the album. It would be better if you got the 7" ahead of time like a teaser. But I get that doesn't make sense logistically.

I want this Bright Eyes exclusive, but not a huge enough fan of the Secretly roster in general, definitely not enough for a 3 month sub. I'm hoping they add some Ghostly backstock in time, or have them as a ROTM for the month after.

I want this Bright Eyes exclusive, but not a huge enough fan of the Secretly roster in general, definitely not enough for a 3 month sub. I'm hoping they add some Ghostly backstock in time, or have them as a ROTM for the month after.

I have never signed up but I thought that the Bright Eyes and Molina records were pretty much worth the $60 bucks, the last month is a bonus in my opinion.

I have never signed up but I thought that the Bright Eyes and Molina records were pretty much worth the $60 bucks, the last month is a bonus in my opinion.

I'll have to check Molina out. When it comes to Singer-songwriter stuff, I prefer more towards Alt-Country and Americana, more than the indie-rock and indie-pop that Secretly seems to lean towards on their roster.

I'll have to check Molina out. When it comes to Singer-songwriter stuff, I prefer more towards Alt-Country and Americana, more than the indie-rock and indie-pop that Secretly seems to lean towards on their roster.
like 90% of Molina's stuff is sad, about ghosts, roads, or farm animals. he drank himself to death. i think he hues more toward what you like than indie-pop...

I want to like the new Bright Eyes singles more than I do so I can justify re-subbing, but as it stands they aren't doing a lot for me yet.

What's a good 3 album Jason Molina primer?

I thought Axxes & Aces was just ok and the Chapelle didn't do much for me since I'm so unfamiliar with his body of work.

What's a good 3 album Jason Molina primer?

I thought Axxes & Aces was just ok and the Chapelle didn't do much for me since I'm so unfamiliar with his body of work.

Songs Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. is the most famous and should be everyone's starting point (i think)
Sojourner & What Comes After the blues are also solid/in the same vein as Magnolia Electric Co.
Trials & Errors is a live album but unlike Lachapelle it's much cleaner with a full band
The Lioness is also great but much slower and darker

So there's an album Magnolia Electric Co under Songs: Ohia. But also a project of his called Magnolia Electric Co?(which apparently is more electric/full band type stuff)?

Reactions: Jan
So there's an album Magnolia Electric Co under Songs: Ohia. But also a project of his called Magnolia Electric Co?(which apparently is more electric/full band type stuff)?
Yes. Looks like songs ohia morphed into magnolia electric after that album

Yes. :) He also has a couple albums solo.

The two classics for me are Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co and Magnolia Electric Co - What Comes After The Blues.

Yes. :) He also has a couple albums solo.

The two classics for me are Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co and Magnolia Electric Co - What Comes After The Blues.
This is why he's not more famous. No one knows what project name to look up. 😁

(100% sarcasm)

I would 2nd the suggestion of Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. It is his masterpiece.

After that one I would work either backward to Didn't It Rain or forward to Magnolia Electric Company - What Comes After The Blues

Songs: Ohia is more acoustic and sparse, Magnolia Electric Co. is greatly indebted to Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

Back