Record cleaning - what's your method?

They sell gallons of distilled water in every drug store in the US for about $2. I’m really shocked that you have to pay $30 for a gallon in a different country. Maybe it’s called “sterilized”? Ask the pharmacist about water to use in a CPAP or sleep apnea machine or even in a humidifier.
Edit: I found that gallon of distilled water is $26 on amazon.com. I would really recommend trying a drugstore nearby. It’s super heavy to ship...

I usually even find it in grocery stores for a couple bucks.

Last edited:
They sell gallons of distilled water in every drug store in the US for about $2. I’m really shocked that you have to pay $30 for a gallon in a different country. Maybe it’s called “sterilized”? Ask the pharmacist about water to use in a CPAP or sleep apnea machine or even in a humidifier.
Edit: I found that gallon of distilled water is $26 on amazon.com. I would really recommend trying a drugstore nearby. It’s super heavy to ship...

I just got some from the local store for a few bucks.

But I admire @stpaulbrowns going 100% top-shelf with this elixir! I am considering a squeaky clean. I currently use a Vinyl Vac. Let me know how it goes with everything. :)

yes, the grocery stores where I live sell it, it is under $2

Does anyone find that you're having to apply the Vinyl Zyme multiple times and vacuum multiple times to see any improvement in playback? Can't figure it out but I'm not getting impressive results.

Do I let the Zyme sit longer than a minute? I'm squirting a semi-constant flow as I turn the record 360 degrees.

Does anyone find that you're having to apply the Vinyl Zyme multiple times and vacuum multiple times to see any improvement in playback? Can't figure it out but I'm not getting impressive results.

Do I let the Zyme sit longer than a minute? I'm squirting a semi-constant flow as I turn the record 360 degrees.
Have not had that problem. I apply and do the following.... [VPI]
  • Scrub for 6 rotations
  • Let sit for 5 rotations
  • Vacuum for 2 rotations
  • Let sit in drying rack for a couple minutes

Have not had that problem. I apply and do the following.... [VPI]
  • Scrub for 6 rotations
  • Let sit for 5 rotations
  • Vacuum for 2 rotations
  • Let sit in drying rack for a couple minutes
Thanks. I think my issue might be not spreading the fluid evenly as everything after track 1 sounds much better. I think I'm going to get a paint brush for that task as I've been using a carbon fiber anti-static brush up to this point.

Thanks. I think my issue might be not spreading the fluid evenly as everything after track 1 sounds much better. I think I'm going to get a paint brush for that task as I've been using a carbon fiber anti-static brush up to this point.
I think the bristles on an anti-static brush aren't rigid enough, too soft.

I've heard this works well, maybe give it a shot..........I'm not kidding, lol
edger-pad-cut-outs.jpg

So, I had something a little more similar to a paint edger, and that worked a hundred times better. I guess I feel misled, perhaps due to lack of research, that the Vinyl Zyme fell under the "let the fluid do the work" category in this following paragraph I found on an RCM review. The record I was trying to play was new but bought used, so not a dollar binner under any circumstances but was rather noisy:

People generally fall into two camps regarding cleaning methodology as well. The "scrubbers" who think that scrubbing all the dirt out of the record is the most important, and the "let the fluid do the work" people. My opinion on this leans more towards the latter, but then again I am not a hardcore thrift store or dollar bin record digger. Most of the records I buy are either new records or VG+ records that are just a bit dusty with some fingerprints. Extremely dirty or mold-damaged records should probably be pre-cleaned before being run through an RCM.

So, I had something a little more similar to a paint edger, and that worked a hundred times better. I guess I feel misled, perhaps due to lack of research, that the Vinyl Zyme fell under the "let the fluid do the work" category in this following paragraph I found on an RCM review. The record I was trying to play was new but bought used, so not a dollar binner under any circumstances but was rather noisy:

People generally fall into two camps regarding cleaning methodology as well. The "scrubbers" who think that scrubbing all the dirt out of the record is the most important, and the "let the fluid do the work" people. My opinion on this leans more towards the latter, but then again I am not a hardcore thrift store or dollar bin record digger. Most of the records I buy are either new records or VG+ records that are just a bit dusty with some fingerprints. Extremely dirty or mold-damaged records should probably be pre-cleaned before being run through an RCM.
I'll be honest, I used to only scrub my "used" crate albums and let the "Fluid do the work" on newer albums, but over time I've noticed that new albums, right out of a sealed shrink are sometimes worse than those crate grabs. So I just started scrubbing everything. Now, I'm not like going at the grooves like a maniac, just a gentle scrub with the groove direction. It's been working like a charm :)

Here’s a free tip for all of us using alcohol-based cleaning mixes:

Don’t forget to put the cap back on.

I, like a dolt, left it off. Alcohol evaporates quickly. After noticing this, my OCD went into overdrive and I started worrying that it wouldn’t be as strong or it would be off balance with the other ingredients.

So I flushed it. Made a brand new batch. I hope I never do that again.

Here’s a free tip for all of us using alcohol-based cleaning mixes:

Don’t forget to put the cap back on.

I, like a dolt, left it off. Alcohol evaporates quickly. After noticing this, my OCD went into overdrive and I started worrying that it wouldn’t be as strong or it would be off balance with the other ingredients.

So I flushed it. Made a brand new batch. I hope I never do that again.
I don’t think you need to worry too much about this with a mixed recipe but it is a big concern for the pure alcohol. Pretty much as soon as you open bottle of 99% it begins to absorb water from the ambient air. I don’t know the absorption rate or the specifics of the variables that affect it but suffice to say that leaving the lid off 99% alcohol for a few hours means you no longer have 99% alcohol in the bottle.

I don’t think you need to worry too much about this with a mixed recipe but it is a big concern for the pure alcohol. Pretty much as soon as you open bottle of 99% it begins to absorb water from the ambient air. I don’t know the absorption rate or the specifics of the variables that affect it but suffice to say that leaving the lid off 99% alcohol for a few hours means you no longer have 99% alcohol in the bottle.

You’re probably right. I’m neurotic. 😂

I guess you could call me a scrubber that lets the fluid do the work.

I scrub all over the record backwards, forwards, side to side, zig zag..suds and all for about 20-30 seconds, let that sit for 10 and then vac.

Maybe when I get these new switches installed tomorrow I'll make a quick gif.

Last edited:
Speaking of switches, these are the types I got.

20190605_200857 (2).jpg

The bat style on the left is what I want to install, but I would have to use hot glue to get them secured. The ones on the right are as close to the originals as I could get and the thing on the top is what locks them in place.

I'm gonna try for the bat style and see what I can do. I just don't want to get hot glue in places that would make it difficult to change to the others if they don't work.

Older VPI 16.5's originally came with the bat style switches that were glued in, at some point in time they changed over to the rocker switch.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll get mine this week. I'm still waiting for it to ship.

It will change your life.

I don't think I've ever had any issues with a warped record in the VPI. I've never had to hold down the arm to keep the suction or anything like that.

I've never had to do whatever this guy is doing with his finger. (I'm sure it is not actually plugged in and operating for the photo, but showing this seems that it will confuse people.)

VPI165_HN.jpg

Last edited:
I guess you could call me a scrubber that lets the fluid do the work.

I scrub all over the record backwards, forwards, side to side, zig zag..suds and all for about 20-30 seconds, let that sit for 10 and then vac.

Maybe when I get these new switches installed tomorrow I'll make a quick gif.
What do you use to scrub?

Back