Record cleaning - what's your method?

I went this route so I have a cleaner bottle and a distilled rinse bottle and a spare:

Anyone with a VPI 16.5 ever have issues with the vacuum?

Went to clean a record today and the vacuum doesn't turn on. The plater still spins, but there's nothing coming from the vac.

I opened up the bottom and don't see anything noticeably wrong. Nothing is wet or anything. I think it just got burnt out. I know this has a auto shut off when cleaning a lot all at once, but it has been days since I last used it.

Had to go back to my old school dent puller method as I had already had one side scrubbed up.

Now that I put it all back together...it seems like it may be the switch that is out. There is no "click" when flipping it on/off.

Yep...it's the switch. I opened it back up and swapped the vac over to the turntable switch and it works fine.

Need to get a new switch. May look into changing these rocker switches over to a bat style switch, which is what the older 16.5's had before they changed for some reason.

So, am thinking of trying something else than Okki Nokki’s own solution.

Anyone that can chime in on Mobile Fidelity Super Record Wash? It’s available in my local record store, so it’s an easy way to go.

I got the 99% Alcohol at Granger. Its off of US-52 just South of St Paul. Its also where I bought the jug I keep it in. Its like a 1.5 gallon jug or something like that. Thick plastic. Good quality. It was a few bucks.

Locally, you can get the wetting agent at National Camera stores but they only had it in a multi-pack that has 3 other chemicals you don't need. You only need a little bit. So I ordered from the link that I posted. I would advise getting the Ilford Simplicity Wetting agent. The Kodak stuff is easier to find locally but many people don't recommend it.
Heading out to Grainger today to buy my Isopropyl Alcohol. Did you have to buy a full gallon of the stuff? Pretty pricey at $45 - especially if I will only really need a 1/4 of that. Or did you find a smaller size? And any difference here (for record cleaning purposes) between 99% v. 99.9%?

Just a spin clean user here. (y)
I have the vinyl vac, so I only use rags on less than ideal records, then a second wash with the vac. Works great for me!

I have a large bottle of Spin Clean Fluid, it's running low and once it does I'll use one of those fluid concentrates you mix with your own water.

However I did come here to post this! I tried to the wood glue method for the first time the other day.... Very time consuming but holy crap it worked well.

Went through my girlfriends dad's old musty records in the basement. Lots were in great shape (rice paper sleeves) but many had gross residue in the grooves from the paper sleeves. Testing wood glue on a Brother In Arms Pressing, and it turned out excellent.

Side Two before cleaning:
20190531_122514.jpg

Side One after cleaning:
20190531_121427.jpg

Used an old TT to apply the glue, you can find Hundreds of videos on YouTube detailing the process. And honestly I don't recommend it because the time it takes, however. Based on what it's pulled up I'm extremely impressed. Currently drying Side Two, then I'll spin-clean it and play test it. If it works well, I should have plenty of playable vinyl that cost me nothing, and would look like a lost cause to most before cleaning. Obviously this won't fix records with scratches, but for my setting. Should work great (y)

Record with wood glue:
20190531_122620.jpg

Just a spin clean user here. (y)
I have the vinyl vac, so I only use rags on less than ideal records, then a second wash with the vac. Works great for me!

I have a large bottle of Spin Clean Fluid, it's running low and once it does I'll use one of those fluid concentrates you mix with your own water.

However I did come here to post this! I tried to the wood glue method for the first time the other day.... Very time consuming but holy crap it worked well.

Went through my girlfriends dad's old musty records in the basement. Lots were in great shape (rice paper sleeves) but many had gross residue in the grooves from the paper sleeves. Testing wood glue on a Brother In Arms Pressing, and it turned out excellent.

Side Two before cleaning:
View attachment 3821

Side One after cleaning:
View attachment 3822

Used an old TT to apply the glue, you can find Hundreds of videos on YouTube detailing the process. And honestly I don't recommend it because the time it takes, however. Based on what it's pulled up I'm extremely impressed. Currently drying Side Two, then I'll spin-clean it and play test it. If it works well, I should have plenty of playable vinyl that cost me nothing, and would look like a lost cause to most before cleaning. Obviously this won't fix records with scratches, but for my setting. Should work great (y)

Record with wood glue:
View attachment 3823
what does the vinyl side of the wood glue look like once pulled off

Yep...it's the switch. I opened it back up and swapped the vac over to the turntable switch and it works fine.

Need to get a new switch. May look into changing these rocker switches over to a bat style switch, which is what the older 16.5's had before they changed for some reason.

Adding another update here...

I removed the switch and ordered some replacements online - rocker style and bat style switches. The bat style don't have the same locking mechanism, so I also ordered a glue gun.

While sitting here surfing the net and watching some ESPN+ Quest for the Stanley Cup I was fidgeting with the bad switch...then noticed that it started to click properly. Put it back in and now it works fine.

I'll still switch them out when I get them in, but at least I can clean records for now.

I've tried the glue method a few times. It gets really bad records clean, but so does scrubbing in the sink.

The time and effort it takes to get a good peel isn't worth it for me.

I've tried the glue method a few times. It gets really bad records clean, but so does scrubbing in the sink.

The time and effort it takes to get a good peel isn't worth it for me.
when you do this, how do you protect the label

Back