Record cleaning - what's your method?

Speaking of switches, these are the types I got.

The bat style on the left is what I want to install, but I would have to use hot glue to get them secured. The ones on the right are as close to the originals as I could get and the thing on the top is what locks them in place.

I'm gonna try for the bat style and see what I can do. I just don't want to get hot glue in places that would make it difficult to change to the others if they don't work.

Older VPI 16.5's originally came with the bat style switches that were glued in, at some point in time they changed over to the rocker switch.

So...the bat style switches connections are a bit too wide for the VPI to connect to, and the rocker switches are a little bit narrower than the original switches, but should still work.

But since this one switch is working again, I'm just gonna leave it alone and stay with it until the next time it breaks. I got records I need to clean.

So...the bat style switches connections are a bit too wide for the VPI to connect to, and the rocker switches are a little bit narrower than the original switches, but should still work.

But since this one switch is working again, I'm just gonna leave it alone and stay with it until the next time it breaks. I got records I need to clean.
Can you give them a little squeeze with some needle nose pliers?

On a side note, it's hard to understand how the entire brush is $50, but you can get a replacement "brush" for $17.......... @Melt Face Molly Drop , how do you feel about making a make shift handle ;)

Can you give them a little squeeze with some needle nose pliers?

On a side note, it's hard to understand how the entire brush is $50, but you can get a replacement "brush" for $17.......... @Melt Face Molly Drop , how do you feel about making a make shift handle ;)

Maybe...I'll check it out again whenever a switch goes bad.

Yeah...I don't remember paying 50 bucks for this brush, but when I got all my VPI stuff (TT & 16.5) I had a broker of sorts in the Hoffman forum that I worked through - he got me a good deal on things.

Last edited:
I also hear a lot of stories about people breaking their VPI tubes...which I have never had to replace yet. If I ever to, I'll get the delrin resin tubes...as I don't need to see the fluid get sucked through the tube and they are less prone to cracking.

I also hear a lot of stories about people breaking their VPI tubes...which I have never had to replace yet. If I ever to, I'll get the delrin resin tubes...as I don't need to see the fluid get sucked through the tube and they are less prone to cracking.
Mine broke a couple months back and I replaced it with the delrin tube ;)

So I got a Squeaky Clean a couple weeks back and just got my TTVJ cleaner solution this week so this weekend I will really clean some stuff proper.

But until something weird I noticed and was wondering if it's a cleaning issue or something else. Is it normal for the outside of the record to be more dirty than the inside. I have had quite a few that will not play well one the first track or two but when I drop the needle further in it will play fine. I know they definitely need a good clean just was just wondering if this was normal or not.

My Squeaky Clean was delivered this weekend and have all my supplies except ... the water. I'm going with the London Jazz Collector formula straight out of the gate. But I'm having trouble identifying a source for triple distilled water. I know he also was a big fan of RO water from pet store - unfortunately, both have been hard to come by.

I'm wondering if this Primo Water from the Whole Foods self-serve will do the trick: https://primowater.com/self-service-refill-water

Sediment filtration
Activated carbon filtration
Reverse Osmosis (RO)
Post carbon filtration
Ultraviolet sterilization

Seems like that ought to be pretty clean water for my purposes, no? Or do I need to keep looking for something medical worthy? Thoughts? 🤔

Aquafina. Reverse osmosis and pure. I swear by it and it's easy find anywhere. I've used it for years.

I've done it. The Delrin tube has been trouble free.

Aquafina. Reverse osmosis and pure. I swear by it and it's easy find anywhere. I've used it for years.

With having a fish tank, I've thought about getting a RODI unit, it would be nice to use it for other things if I ever do get one.

Someone asked, so here ya go.
  • Apply cleaner
  • 6 rotations light scrubbing
  • 5 rotations letting sit
  • 2.5 rotations on the vacuum

Nice video! My method is a little different:

I apply the fluid in a straight line from the label out with the motor off.

I put the brush in the middle of the fluid and turn the motor on.

Once I get a couple of revolutions and an even spread of fluid, I scrub 2-3 rotations.

Nice video! My method is a little different:

I apply the fluid in a straight line from the label out with the motor off.

I put the brush in the middle of the fluid and turn the motor on.

Once I get a couple of revolutions and an even spread of fluid, I scrub 2-3 rotations.
Either you’ve said this before and I subconsciously absorbed it or I’ve been channeling the Spirit of HiFi. That’s exactly what I do.

Back