Record cleaning - what's your method?

I get replacing cardboard inners with nice new ones but what so people do when the record is packaged in mofi style anti stats. Do you still chuck it out and replace with a fresh one?
I replace them but keep the MoFi / Acoustic Sounds etc. I use those on PIFs and Warps for members, I clean the albums before sending them out and if I have them, I'll replace the sleeves on those ;)

I chuck the paper inners (or re-use them for selling or more beat up records) but keep any poly-lined ones. Seems wasteful to do otherwise.

Yeah. I was thinking about hoovering the insides of the bag as it seems a bit counter productive to clean the record then stick it back in the scruffy liner but not sure if I'm being ridiculously tight

Yeah. I was thinking about hoovering the insides of the bag as it seems a bit counter productive to clean the record then stick it back in the scruffy liner but not sure if I'm being ridiculously tight
Some people think that the inner is compromised but I'm not that anal. I even re-sleeve with a new diskeeper before cleaning (unless it's a used record).

I think this is my favourite answer. May blindly follow you down this road
Haha it’s not failed me yet. But guess what? If you listen and find that it still sounds crackly after a cleaning, then re-clean, re-sleeve, repeat to desired results. It’s part of the appeal of the hobby IMO.

I would never chuck a Mofi style inner. They ate superb. I actually replace RTI shitty pink plastic inners with Mofi sleeves.
I use half round inners inside cardboard sleeves. I replace any unlined paper sleeves with good quality lined ones.
i dont really toss anything. I keep them for stuff that goes to the used store.

I use half round inners inside cardboard sleeves.
This is a great idea, never thought of doing that. I’ll put my cardboard inner back in the jacket and store the record outside the jacket, almost guaranteeing I’ll never pull the inner back out (which is a shame since they’ve got lyrics/pics etc)

I would never chuck a Mofi style inner. They ate superb. I actually replace RTI shitty pink plastic inners with Mofi sleeves.
I use half round inners inside cardboard sleeves. I replace any unlined paper sleeves with good quality lined ones.
i dont really toss anything. I keep them for stuff that goes to the used store.
I had to chuck a couple of MoFi inners recently on new purchases. One had a seam split, but nothing on the outer sleeve thank goodness. The other looked like a gorilla fought with it. It was stretched and creased so badly I could not put the record back in the outer sleeve.

So @Rowan, @Selaws and myself have just got Pro-Ject VC-S2 ALU's via a UK eBay deal! Quick question - is there anyway you can clean 7"'s without getting the other wand? No big deal if you can't, just wondered if there was a work around.
I posted this somewhere else, but I thought I'd share here too - I tried using the 10 inch and 7 inch plastic adapter piece that came with the Squeaky clean, and it works just fine. Costs HUNDREDS less than getting two new arm tubes as well. Not sure if that's an option in the UK, but I think the real lesson is if you have something that can be cut to the correct length and make a reasonable seal, it will get the job done. I think if you're trying to clean hundreds of 7s or 10s, might be worth the tube. I own about 10 in total betweens 7 and 10s, so this solution will work just fine for me.

Whilst you are waiting for a replacement have a look for a cheap bottle with a spout. Its way better than the open topped container that comes with the unit. We have been showing off our bottles in the UK thread (baby bottles, water bottles, sports bottles, etc) and I went for a cheap sauce bottle with a spout and cap. Its a lot easier to control the flow of liquid and the amount being used each time.

View attachment 66133
Great minds think alike. :cool:
These just arrived this evening. Tovala Plastic Squeeze Squirt Bottles

Also, I'm getting a little tired of living vicariously through Hifi Guy, so I purchased something he mentioned: Chisto Easy Groove Concentrate. The review seemed solid and if Hifi Guy is experimenting with it, then I can too, so there!

I also purchased this: AI - Premium Record Cleaner Formula #15. It had a few recommendations on some of forums I frequent. It also has "Premium" in the name and the "Formula #15" had me picturing some lab hidden away somewhere with requisite beakers, test tubes, refining columns and computers all lined up to drip this super-secret formula into bottles waiting to be shipped all over the world. Maybe throw in some Oompa Loompas or Minions in there to complete the picture. Surely this stuff is the ultimate RCM solution!

my spin clean doesn't work PERFECTLY, i still hear static right when i start a record... but i haven't heard anything else unless its a REALLY scratched up record.. i was scared that the towels were actually scratching the vinyl but that was an overreaction

does anyone know anything about Moth RCMs ? in this case the MK1 - theres one being sold 2nd hand nearby and im curious is this would be a step up from the spin clean

cheers

Okay, the replacement machine magically appeared on my doorstep 2 days after USPS said it was delivered. The clamp is perfectly flat now and the vacuum performs great. Ran two records today before work and I'm jazzed now with the result. I think I'll hang on to my SpinClean for the occasionally grimy Ebay and Discogs "near mint" LPs.

Update on Chisto Easy Groove- the Ukrainian concentrate I’m trying out. This stuff rules! Zero static electricity and uber quiet surfaces.

I like it enough that I placed a second order while they still have it on sale at 75% off.

Update on Chisto Easy Groove- the Ukrainian concentrate I’m trying out. This stuff rules! Zero static electricity and uber quiet surfaces.

I like it enough that I placed a second order while they still have it on sale at 75% off.

Good to hear :)

Um, I actually enjoyed cleaning records there! Think I need a better spot to work in, as the light isn't great, but I was getting a wee process going. Stickers, Discogs updates, everything! Got another 490 to go, but it's fun!

Instead of batch cleaning, why not clean what you are going to listen to right before it hits the platter?

Back