Record cleaning - what's your method?

Good first attempt. Managed to cut myself trying to open the Wash It, which wasn't ideal. Don't think I had the clamp down hard enough the first time as the vacuum was stopping the record turning, but I've got past that.

Tried it with a fairly broken record, so the changes weren't going to be massive, but it definitely looks a lot better. Impressed.

Good first attempt. Managed to cut myself trying to open the Wash It, which wasn't ideal. Don't think I had the clamp down hard enough the first time as the vacuum was stopping the record turning, but I've got past that.

Tried it with a fairly broken record, so the changes weren't going to be massive, but it definitely looks a lot better. Impressed.
I've been cleaning records for the past hour and LOVE this thing. I too found the stopper incredibly tricky to get off the bottle, but after that it was smooth sailing. The only downside I have found is that the bottle that came with it is ridiculously flawed in the sense that its impossible to control the amount of fluid you pour on the record. Luckily I have a squeeze bottle with a spout coming tomorrow so that should help.

I certainly should have gotten one of these sooner, even 'clean' records come out sparkling.

Sorry to be an absolute bore, but more record cleaning excitement here.

I decided to give it a whirl (excuse the pun) on one of the more pricey/rare records. I went with a recent pick up, a first mono pressing of Grant Green - Am I Blue. The reason I went for this is that there are lots of quiet bits which is where the crackle tends to pop up. I was really hoping for the louder crackles to be removed but I NEVER expected quite this result. It's gone from overpowering to almost none at all, and even then I have to have the volume really loud and actively be listening out for anything. Im just through the first side now and its like a completely different record, sounds incredible. The seller actually refunded me a chunk after hearing crackle to the first track, and that's now completely gone.

Really wanted to share a comparison video I took but not sure that I can on here, so I have added it to my Instagram story if anyone is interested. Pop the volume on full, its quite the difference!

I decided to give it a whirl (excuse the pun) on one of the more pricey/rare records. I went with a recent pick up, a first mono pressing of Grant Green - Am I Blue. The reason I went for this is that there are lots of quiet bits which is where the crackle tends to pop up. I was really hoping for the louder crackles to be removed but I NEVER expected quite this result. It's gone from overpowering to almost none at all, and even then I have to have the volume really loud and actively be listening out for anything. Im just through the first side now and its like a completely different record, sounds incredible. The seller actually refunded me a chunk after hearing crackle to the first track, and that's now completely gone.

Really wanted to share a comparison video I took but not sure that I can on here, so I have added it to my Instagram story if anyone is interested. Pop the volume on full, its quite the difference!
I still stick to the fact that "sucking" the crap out of grooves with a decent RCM can't be beat ;)

I've been cleaning records for the past hour and LOVE this thing. I too found the stopper incredibly tricky to get off the bottle, but after that it was smooth sailing. The only downside I have found is that the bottle that came with it is ridiculously flawed in the sense that its impossible to control the amount of fluid you pour on the record. Luckily I have a squeeze bottle with a spout coming tomorrow so that should help.

I certainly should have gotten one of these sooner, even 'clean' records come out sparkling.
Yeah, the bottle isn't the greatest. I was looking for one of those ketchup style bottles with a cover in the shops and couldn't see one, so went with a kids drinking bottle. Not ideal, but it's definitely better.

One quick question for the body of the kirk (and apologies for not going back and checking the thread for this) - what do you do with the brush when you're done - rinse it clean, or just leave it?

It’s pretty rare that I get surface noise at all once I got a RCM. And when I do, it’s usually GZ or United. They suck.

I’m trying a new brand of solution to see if I can get even better results. Waiting for the concentrate to arrive.

Yeah, the bottle isn't the greatest. I was looking for one of those ketchup style bottles with a cover in the shops and couldn't see one, so went with a kids drinking bottle. Not ideal, but it's definitely better.

One quick question for the body of the kirk (and apologies for not going back and checking the thread for this) - what do you do with the brush when you're done - rinse it clean, or just leave it?
With the Squeaky Clean I use a syringe from the pharmacy

Im just a bit jelous I ignored the RCM ebay deal on Sunday and decided I should keep my pennies for the bedroom furniture. Yawnnnn

I just pulled the trigger on the VC-S2. I've been wanting to upgrade from the Spin-Clean for quite awhile now. I keep my cleaning equipment out of sight and setting up for just one LP is out of the question. For me, the Spin-Clean is more of a "batch job" cleaner, and lately I've really not had the time. When I have a mind to listen to music, pulling that reservoir down out of the closet and getting to work is very unappealing. ("Let's see what's on TV")

With a dedicated cleaning area and the simplicity of this new RCM, I can be impulsive again about spinning records without worrying if the one I want to listen to needs to be cleaned or not.

Okay....update on the VC-S2. I've cleaned several records with good result, but I've run into a niggling snag. The shaft is ever-so-slightly bent. Just enough to effect the suction of the vacuum arm. Kind of a "swish...hum...swish...hum", and the wand doesn't pick up the inner 1/8" or so of liquid on one side on the record. The unit is brand new, so I'm not going to tinker with it. The replacement should be here in a few days. I'll keep you folks posted.

Okay....update on the VC-S2. I've cleaned several records with good result, but I've run into a niggling snag. The shaft is ever-so-slightly bent. Just enough to effect the suction of the vacuum arm. Kind of a "swish...hum...swish...hum", and the wand doesn't pick up the inner 1/8" or so of liquid on one side on the record. The unit is brand new, so I'm not going to tinker with it. The replacement should be here in a few days. I'll keep you folks posted.
Ya, you'll hear that on an edge warp as well ;)

Ya, you'll hear that on an edge warp as well ;)
Trust me, I didn't want to believe it, but after the 5th record, I decided to run the motor without an LP mounted. You can see the wobble from the side. There's about a 1/16" difference between the highest point of the clamp to the lowest. I hate having to box it back up, but at this price point, I'm going to insist that it vacuums evenly across a dead flat record. This has to be just an unlucky one-off. The build quality is excellent.

Whilst you are waiting for a replacement have a look for a cheap bottle with a spout. Its way better than the open topped container that comes with the unit. We have been showing off our bottles in the UK thread (baby bottles, water bottles, sports bottles, etc) and I went for a cheap sauce bottle with a spout and cap. Its a lot easier to control the flow of liquid and the amount being used each time.

IMG_2089 (1).JPG

Whilst you are waiting for a replacement have a look for a cheap bottle with a spout. Its way better than the open topped container that comes with the unit. We have been showing off our bottles in the UK thread (baby bottles, water bottles, sports bottles, etc) and I went for a cheap sauce bottle with a spout and cap. Its a lot easier to control the flow of liquid and the amount being used each time.

View attachment 66133
I use these, they work really well :)
Valchoose 250ml 500ml Plastic Wash Bottle Medical Squeeze Bottle, LDPE - 2PACK: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
1600087780831.png

I get replacing cardboard inners with nice new ones but what so people do when the record is packaged in mofi style anti stats. Do you still chuck it out and replace with a fresh one?

I get replacing cardboard inners with nice new ones but what so people do when the record is packaged in mofi style anti stats. Do you still chuck it out and replace with a fresh one?
I chuck the paper inners (or re-use them for selling or more beat up records) but keep any poly-lined ones. Seems wasteful to do otherwise.

Back