Record cleaning - what's your method?

Instead of batch cleaning, why not clean what you are going to listen to right before it hits the platter?
That's the goal eventually, but I'm planning for my move. My theory is I'm better transporting all my records clean and in good inners, with the aim of minimising damage to the record and the covers. Once they are all done and moved over to Melbourne I'll just clean when I need to.

I just got an inexpensive Chinese ultrasonic tank and a motorized record-spinning attachment via Amazon. Used it for the first time tonight as a test on a grimy/noisy Ruth Copeland OP Discogs grab with just filtered tap water and a drop of Dawn and the results are really impressive. Can't wait to hear the results with distilled/deionized water and a specialized surfactant. Already worth the $250 or so I spent on the devices combined.

Last edited:
I just got an inexpensive Chinese ultrasonic tank and a motorized record-spinning attachment via Amazon. Used it for the first time tonight as a test on a grimy/noisy Ruth Copeland OP Discogs grab with just filtered tap water and a drop of Dawn and the results are really impressive. Can't wait to hear the results with distilled/deionized water and a specialized surfactant. Already worth the $150 or so I spent on the devices combined.

I've been so tempted to try one of these but for the storage room and the noise. Eager to hear how it continues to work!

I've been so tempted to try one of these but for the storage room and the noise. Eager to hear how it continues to work!

It is noisy; about as loud as vacuum cleaner, maybe, but higher-pitched. The size isn't bad, though; the cleaner is about the size of a large toaster and the rotating attachment can be detached and stored inside the cleaner if you like. I am probably going to end up keeping it in the garage and taking a handful of albums out at a time to clean; the attachment holds up to five discs and has silicone-sealed disc holders to protect the labels during cleaning.

I love when people say new records don’t need to be cleaned. 🙄

This greeted me upon opening a new album today:

View attachment 68080

After cleaning- that’s better:

View attachment 68081
I remember my Mofi Planet Waves as being the scruffiest record I'd ever received. It looked like someone had been using it to wipe a badgers arse after it had gone all in at an asparagus wine party

the person i sold blazing arrow to complimented me on how clean the copy i gave them was... i told them how it was just a 100 dollar spin clean but i am surprised that people are impressed like that (maybe i just need to clean my stylus more)

@Rowan @Selaws @Thackeraye

Got my Project VC -S2 today.
How you all finding it ?
Ive done a couple of records - After seeing you tube review videos I was expecting records to be completely dry very quickly, but Ive found some areas stay wet after many spins, maybe I just chose warped records which affects it ?
Also. My god that goats hair brush loses a lot of Bristles...

How you all finding it ?
Ive done a couple of records - After seeing you tube review videos I was expecting records to be completely dry very quickly, but Ive found some areas stay wet after many spins, maybe I just chose warped records which affects it ?
Hmmm just make sure that you have a good contact between record and nozzle. The idea is that a vacuum is created so really almost all the liquid is completely gone after a single rotation. I tend to give it 2 rotations (1 each way) just to make sure, but at that point it's completely dry for me.

I also found the brush to lose a few bristles at first but after a few days of using it no more dropped off.

One thing that I should have posted here sooner is that I had an 'issue' where the platter had dropped by a fraction, causing a gap between the record and nozzle (it would suck the record upwards when turned on). I realised that its essentially a dropped tube that sits on the rotating pin. The tube has a tiny flat ended screw in its side which you can tighten to make sure the tube (with the platter sitting on top) are tight to the pin. I was able to completely loosen it with a torx screwdriver, raise it to the correct position, then tighten it. I haven't had a problem since and there's perfect contact between the nozzle and record.

Yeah I’ve looked at instructiono (what an idea eh) I thought the vinyl being grabbed by the vacuum when turned on was naturally what occurred - Mine clearly needs a little adjustment.
Going to take care of that now.
Thanks

Hmmm just make sure that you have a good contact between record and nozzle. The idea is that a vacuum is created so really almost all the liquid is completely gone after a single rotation. I tend to give it 2 rotations (1 each way) just to make sure, but at that point it's completely dry for me.

I also found the brush to lose a few bristles at first but after a few days of using it no more dropped off.

One thing that I should have posted here sooner is that I had an 'issue' where the platter had dropped by a fraction, causing a gap between the record and nozzle (it would suck the record upwards when turned on). I realised that its essentially a dropped tube that sits on the rotating pin. The tube has a tiny flat ended screw in its side which you can tighten to make sure the tube (with the platter sitting on top) are tight to the pin. I was able to completely loosen it with a torx screwdriver, raise it to the correct position, then tighten it. I haven't had a problem since and there's perfect contact between the nozzle and record.

Anyone considered methods for adapting arm to use for 45s I have a decent sizzled box of em needing a clean. Wondered if wrapping thearm not covered by vinyl in cling film Might be a good method ? Quick and simple and acuple of wraps around should make it nice n airtight

Anyone considered methods for adapting arm to use for 45s I have a decent sizzled box of em needing a clean. Wondered if wrapping thearm not covered by vinyl in cling film Might be a good method ? Quick and simple and acuple of wraps around should make it nice n airtight
I haven't thought about 7" yet but I cleaned a 10" today. I just slid a piece of laminated card in where the 2" was missing and it worked fine. Certainly cheaper than buying another £100 arm/nozzle :ROFLMAO:

I haven't thought about 7" yet but I cleaned a 10" today. I just slid a piece of laminated card in where the 2" was missing and it worked fine. Certainly cheaper than buying another £100 arm/nozzle :ROFLMAO:

£100 is a crazy price - not a chance, just wondered if that would be airtight enough but clearly answer is yes

How you all finding it ?
I was finding that the gap between the nozzle and the clamp was leaving a small ring, but it doesn't take long to dry. I've been batch cleaning, so I let the record sit on a rack to dry for a couple of minutes to let it air dry.

So far, so good. I'm 50 records in and no major complaints. I think my platter is a little wobbly, but the vacuum is doing what it should. It does make a good job cleaning the records, definitely better than my Spin Clean.

My plan is to smash out all of my 12' records over the next couple of months, then have a think about my singles. I'll see if I can work some kind of cover, but I don't want something that will scratch the wand.

Update on Chisto Easy Groove- the Ukrainian concentrate I’m trying out. This stuff rules! Zero static electricity and uber quiet surfaces.

I like it enough that I placed a second order while they still have it on sale at 75% off.

Seconded! Mixed the Chisto Easy Groove concentrate with aquafina and then picked two old LPs from 1975, ELO's A New World Record and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. These had been vacuum cleaned with Audio Intelligent No. 6 but still had too many pops and clicks for my liking. I listened to them, then vacuum cleaned them using the new stuff, then listened again. The number of pops and clicks on both LPs was significantly reduced and the few that remained were softer and more distant. And the sound seemed a little clearer and stronger too, although that may have been in my mind. Thanks again for the tip!

Last edited:
Back